1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Odd behavior when trying to manage files on my Nexus 7 through a PC

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rubejb, Aug 8, 2013.

1. rubejb

rubejb Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    I've had this issue with both my original 16GB N7 and my new 2013 32GB N7.

When I connect it to the PC, any "new" folders that have been created on the internal memory don't show up. I can use a file manager on the actual tablet, and everything is there. But when I install a new app, the folders it creates can't be browsed by my computer.

Does anyone know what would cause this?

It's been days now that these new folders don't show up. I'm on Windows 7 X64 if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Groid

Groid Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 1, 2009
    Are you using MTP and do you have usb debugging turned on? I just tested by connecting my N7 to my pc and created a new folder and copied a file into it. Both show on the computer. I deleted both and ejected the N7. Then I created a folder on the N7 with Root Explorer, copied a file into it, connected my N7 to my pc and the folder and copied file show up in windows explorer. Mine seems to work perfectly.
    Edit: also on Win7/64 bit, N7 on 4.3, stock rom, kernel, rooted.

rubejb likes this.
  3. rubejb

rubejb Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    MTP is on, but usb debugging was off (I usually leave it off unless I'm rooting or whatnot). I tried turning debugging on and it makes no difference. Tried switching off MTP and turning it back on, no difference either.

If I create a folder on the tablet using my PC, it shows up just fine. It appears to happen only if I create a folder directly on the tablet or if a new app creates one. It's as if the PC has a cached memory of what's on the tablet and only shows the folders that it remembers.

Perhaps it's a driver issue, although I haven't been able to successfully update the drivers to the latest Google ones. My HTC phone does not have this issue on the same PC btw.

But thanks for the suggestions, Groid.

edit:

Ah, I should have thought to google my issue beforehand.

Looks like it's an issue with MTP (maybe?) and rebooting the Nexus 7 causes the computer to see them. Problem seemingly somewhat solved.

Sure, I'd love it if they just magically appear as they should, but a quick reboot isn't an issue for me.

4. deathneed

deathneed Member
    None

Dec 14, 2011
    Male
    none atm
    Phoenix Az
    probably has to do with the fact that the nexus isnt meant to support usb mass storage. I find that using airdroid to manage files works perfectly.