• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Odd GoogleMaps / GPS phenomenon...

kbayer

Android Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2009
Houston, Tx
Since I've had the phone now for a little over a month, about half the time that I start up Maps, it shows "My Position" as being at a house I lived at about a year ago, which is about an hour drive from where I live now. Back then, I was not with Verizon, but with ATT.

After a minte or so on Maps, it brings up my correct position.

That changed about 4 days ago when I recieved a signal extender that was ordered from Verizon. Now, Maps starts up showing that I'm near a golf course in Canyon Lake, California.

About 3 minutes later, it corrects itself.

What could be triggering that? :thinking:

Attachments

• golf.jpg
    golf.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 68
Yeah... I've done that and I think it pops back to my actual location faster, but it still starts up each time afterward showing California. I zoomed in as far as it allowed and it shows that it's a Dry Cleaner business.

Maybe I should cal them, huh? They'ld think I was nuts.

Then again, it would be weird if they said that they once had a Droid, but sent it back, and -- cue Twilight Zone theme...:eek:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The problem you are dealing with, FYI, is not a GPS problem, but rather, it is a google maps problem.

google blames it on your phone switching from GPS to aGPS, which uses cell towers to triangulate your position rather than satellites to pinpoint it. Mine, however, was always far outside of the radius indicator.

If you want to see what I mean, then try gps tracker by instamapper. It is dead accurate. It doesn't work for navigation, but it will show you just what I am talking about.

Upvote 0
I must have misread earlier for I thought you said it was giving you a GPS location corresponding to where you lived before. In any event, you can go to SKYHOOK and program in your router location -- it should not help though.

Yes... you are right. It WAS doing that for the whole time I've had it (booting up and going to the place I used to live, about an hour away).
However, I got the extender about 5 days ago, and now Maps boots up, showing that I'm now at a california Dry Cleaning Company.

I drove away from my house yesterday with it, watching Maps, and I was about 2 miles from home when it finally corrected itself.

When I got home, I opened Maps again, and it booted up straight back to the Dry Cleaners.

Maybe I should just move to California.:eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones