• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Odd gps issue

tensazan

Android Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2011
Indiana
Good hello all. I have an issue that's hopefully easy to fix. So I have the Verizon note 4, and I launched maps twice this morning and the first time was fine, but the second time I noticed my phone wouldn't update my position so it looked like I stopped moving, then after about 10 seconds it would update the location a few times then stop again.

Has anyone experienced this issue before? I already tried a shutdown and restart, and cleared maps cache but that didnt seem to help. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I have just recently been having serious GPS issues on my Note 4. I believe it started when I got the 5.0 update or possibly when I got the 5.01 update.

Basically it keeps loosing GPS signal and doesn't track.

This really sucks for me because I travel for work a lot and need to relay on my GPS for my rental cars.

I have Googled different things but they all seem to be from when the device first launched last year or about the Note 3.

I really do need help with this. it is the only thing that I don't like about this phone.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I've had this issue before. When I was using the spigen case with the metal outer band I noticed my gps would hardly work, but the behavior you described has happened to me a few times with my current tpu case. It doesn't happen all the time, and it seems to only happen with Google maps. The last time it was doing it, I switched to Here maps and it worked perfectly.

Upvote 0
Since I upgraded to 5.01 my GPS has been horrible on my AT&T Note 4. With or without a case. Just constantly trying to find position. It is really frustrating and I have researched it and have seen a lot of it out there. No fixes.
Check out "GPS Status & Toolbox"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2

Swipe down for menu, tap the wrench, calibrate the compass, calibrate the sensors, then manage aGPS - first reset then again and download the attitude and ephemeris tables (assistance data).

See if that helps.

If you need a more extreme solution than that -

http://androidforums.com/threads/gps-fix-s5-dummies-guide.907733/

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'm just curious...can anyone report if that helped you or not?
Things fix what they fix. If your sensors are out of calibration or your assistance data isn't updating that fixes it. Has been reported as working for people in hundreds of threads. If you have another problem, it won't help.

Did it not help your GPS problem?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones