1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Odd Icon up by wifi, and data usage craziness!

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by clorissasue, Jul 29, 2011.

1. clorissasue

clorissasue Lurker
    None

Nov 7, 2010
    I have had my sony ericsson for at least 6 months now. I love it. I only have a 200MB data plan, which has never been an issue for me. In the 6 months or more I have had the phone I have never even reach ed 65% of my limited Data. At home and at work I am on Wifi and only use 3G when I am somewhere without it but have always left it to connect itself whenever.

One day before my billing cycle ended this month I got an Email that I was at 65% of my data. My phone was in my pocket asleep, and wifi was on at this point. 2 hours later, new text telling me I had used all 200 MB and was being charged another 200MB.

That night, still having not really used my phone for anything other than phone stuff. Texting and a few calls. I got a text saying I had nearly went over my 200MB limit I had JUST PAID FOR!

ATT flagged the account for me to look deeper into it, but the guy on the phone said it was possible for me to have gone over. I have not loaded anything new, I was not watching movies or listening to radio. Nothing than I had been doing all along, except I DID notice that Facebook CHat had been left logged on, and I had my weather bug updating hourly and Email synced

So I turned those things off, and got a 3G killler app to where I can turn it off at all times and only use it when I need it.

Now I keep getting this odd little Icon on my phone, its up by my wifi icon on the top. It almost looks like a little syringe and it moves for a few seconds once I turn my phone on, after its been sleeping a while... It does not do it every time, but most the time if it has been left alone for long. I cannot find out what this is.

Also I cannot figure out how to get my apps to quit updating automatically, I wonder if while I was on 3g and not wi fi if all my apps updated, and that is how I went over so quickly.

Any help is appreciated, especially about the odd icon, because the data I have off, unless needed so that should not happen anymore. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Is there any way to get a picture of the little icon? It's hard to know exactly what it is by your description.

To monitor data use, you could install Network TrafficStats Lite - Android app on AppBrain then you'll know exact which app is using the data and how much

3. clorissasue

clorissasue Lurker
    None

Nov 7, 2010
    It's not really possible. Its only there for moments, maybe 3 seconds when I turn on my phone after its been sleeping a while? I am thinking its the phone connecting back to wifi? Its so strange looks almost like a little bumble bee or something.

Thank you for the link to the site to help track data usage!

4. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    Which model Sony Ericcson phone do you have? That might help narrow things down a bit...

5. landovr

landovr Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    Firefighter
    Alberta Canada
    clorissasue likes this.
  6. clorissasue

clorissasue Lurker
    None

Nov 7, 2010
    IT IS!!! Its the GPS is ACTIVATED one!!! So I am wondering how I turn it off now for sure, THAT is probably what caused the giant data usage!?!

Thank you so very much. I could not find anything that showed what it was.

landovr likes this.