• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Odd Internet Connection Problem: 4G LTE & Wi-Fi, but no Internet

Hey y'all! Just joined up and first time posting. Play nice with the newbie ;)
**Device info @ bottom of post if you don't feel like story time haha

So, my Galaxy S3 decided to take a crap on me yesterday. All its life, it's been plagued with some connection issues, e.g. I will be sitting next to my father (who also has a Verizon S3) and he'll have full 4G LTE and I'll have maybe a bar of 3G if I'm lucky. Sometimes. It's hit and miss. I've always just attributed that to an issue being able to switch towers when the signal goes weak....(and Verizon's BS signal in the rural areas I live in and go to college. Go figure. :rolleyes:).

Last night, I was fiddling with my phone and I decided to check the SIM card for damage--something I've expected for a while. Shut the phone down, popped the SIM out and it looked pristine. I pulled the old "Nintendo 64 Cartridge Trick" and blew on the card and its slot, put it back together, and started it up.

Everything works as normal (4G w/no Wi-Fi, I wasn't home at the time)... until I send the girlfriend a Kik message that never gets through :(. And then another. And another :thinking:. Quickly I realized that something must be up, so I did the "Airplane mode" trick, turning it on and off. Nothing. Usually that worked when I suddenly lost data connection where I had 4G just moments before. I turned my Wi-Fi off, tried again, nothing. Still showing an LTE connection. I tried to send a message with Facebook Messenger. It acted like it was going to load, then it popped up with "Waiting For Network." Switched Mobile Data off/on. [Insert massive number of phone restarts here] Still, you guessed it, nothing.

A little flummoxed, I dug into the device's settings and pulled up the Network Mode and changed it from Global preferred to CDMA/LTE/EVDO. Nothing. Tried all of the above on it on the new network mode.......nada. :mad:

I got home last night after the Masonic meeting was over with, wondering if my Wi-Fi would work (and subsequently bombard my girlfriend with about ten messages at once as they finally broke through). Welp, my tidal wave of Kik messages never went through. Even on WiFi, there is no connection to the internet. Can't send messages using data, can't use Wi-Fi. :banghead:

Starting to get a little frustrated at this point, I start checking apps. Twitter wouldn't refresh, Facebook Messenger Messenger wouldn't refresh, Facebook itself wouldn't load up. Hmmm...... The ONE thing that appeared to work was the "Tinder" app. (Don't judge, the girlfriend and I use it to find weirdos and/or people we know to make fun of them. Makes for a fun time haha) New people kept popping up, even when I extended my search radius to refresh it. So of ALL the useless things that could work, I'm stuck with a hookup app :rolleyes: ...makes me wonder if Tinder is pre-loaded and the profiles cached, because it doesn't make sense that it's the only thing that's working, app-wise. I never use standard texting, but I found I could actually send/receive texts through Handcent. Oh, and calling the girlfriend :call: (y'know, the thing that actually matters out of all of this).

Phone info

*I should mention I have 4 bars of 4G w/ up/down arrows as I'm typing this*

Android 4.3
Baseband version: I535VRUCNC1
Kernel version: 3.0.31, se.infra@R0210-08 #1, Mon Apr 7 23:34:46 KST 2014
Build number JSS15J.I535VRUCNC1
SE for Android Status: Permissive
Hardware version: I535.10
Network: Verizon Wireless
Signal strength: -88dBm 52 asu
Mobile network type: LTE
Service state: In service
Roaming: Not Roaming
Mobile network state: Connected
My phone number: I'm not that stupid lol
PRL version: 15310
ERI version: 5
IMEISV: 00
IP adress: 10.181.64.202, 2600:1015:b120:60fa:d06c:8cbe:2cb9:59e4
Wi-Fi MAC address: 90:18:7C:CC:97:BA
Up time: 12:59:27 (and counting)
Device status: Official

One odd thing I just noticed going through this list is that my phone has the time listed as 9:47, says 9:55 on the computer monitor. Hm. Dunno if that's important or not, it's like it's connected but not communicating with the 'net.

Now, it's tomorrow and I've yet to see mobile interwebz. Any ideas?
@BKAtheManScout

Something seemed fishy with the time being off by exactly 8 minutes when I posted earlier. After my lunch break, I went into the Date & Time settings, checked the "Automatic date and time" box, and my phone went nuts for two minutes as the data floodgates were opened.

Really odd how a lone time setting could cause all the above issues. :thinking: Any quick ideas on how to contact a Samsung rep to check into this.... bug? I dunno what exactly to call it. "Anomaly," maybe. Or at least link them to this thread. At any rate, it would be nice if they could fix it to save someone the frustration.

Cheers!
@BKAtheManScout

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones