1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Odd Market issue, can't find installed app

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wayrad, Jun 6, 2011.

1. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    Just noticed a strange problem...I use Remember the Milk, and was prompted for an update for it and for CoolReader when I visited "My Apps" in the Market this morning this morning. I hit the "Update all" button and all went as usual. After that I pressed the RTM entry in the My Apps list to have a look at the change log, and surprise, I got a popup saying "The requested item could not be found"! I did a search for the app name and it didn't show up.

It's almost as though the Market thinks RTM won't work on my phone so won't show it to me...but it's working fine, and the update went OK too, and I still see it in My Apps, just can't pull up the detailed description. I've cleared cache and data from the Market app and also rebooted the phone, no joy. (edited to add: My other apps don't have this problem, just RTM.)

Is this happening with other DIncs or just mine? I am currently running CM7 nightlies and am wondering if it has to do with using a custom ROM, but I don't know how long it's been going on for. Can other people see RTM in the Market?

Advertisement

2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    Could very well be rom related. I can see the app just fine on skyraider 4.0. Do you have titanium, market doctor and a reboot MAY fix it. Or try the online market and push it to your phone and see what happens.

wayrad likes this.
  3. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    Thanks! OK, will try market dr. I've also dug up a nandroid of the stock ROM to try. It'll probably have to wait til morning since my data connection is fairly worthless at home at the moment.

Odd that CM7 would cause a problem with seeing just one app, and not affect its actual functioning, but yeah, weird things happen...

P.S. Could it cause a problem that I accessed the Market using a different device? I picked up a Nook Color the other day and made a bootable card with a CM7 nightly, and went poking around the Market last night to grab some free apps. Now I'm wondering if I should have set up a different Google account for it.

4. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    Hmm, the plot thickens. A few other apps are now doing the same thing. Doesn't seem to matter whether they are paid or unpaid. Market Doctor didn't help.

I logged into the Market on the desktop and it wouldn't let me download the affected apps from there either. I get a message "Your device's content rating filter is incompatible with this item". Both my device names were grayed out. A bit of googling around suggests that if an app is unrated content-wise, it may not appear unless the device's content rating is set to "all". I had mine set to "everyone" so I wouldn't be wading through pages and pages of junk. Maybe that's the issue.

I just flashed Virtuous again (my nandroids are acting up on top of everything else...:thinking:) and now the Market seems to be behaving, both on the phone and the desktop. It is, however, an older pre-content-filtering version of the Market, so I don't yet know whether it's that or the ROM that is the problem. I think I'm on the way to getting it sorted, though.

5. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    I intended to edit my previous post but apparently quoted it instead. Anyway, it was indeed the content filtering - selecting "everyone" will block all apps that collect location data. :eek:

6. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    Thanks for letting us know the solution.