• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Odd streaming problem with BBC iplayer radio

I have a really strange problem with BBC iplayer radio on my Wiko Darkside.
I have tried this app on several other phones and tablets, including another one from the same manufacturer (Wiko Cink Five) and it works perfectly. The problem is only on this phone.
What happens is that about once a minute, the stream jumps forward about a second or so. There is no gap in the sound (it's not a buffering problem), it jumps forward, missing out a couple of words in the sentence. It's not a geolocation problem either, as I get exactly the same whether I'm in the UK or France.

The problem is specific to BBC, as I can stream from other sources (e.g Guardian, Radio France) with no problem at all.

I have been able to listen to streamed BBC radio on this phone from a third party app. I forget which one, as I reset the phone as a last ditch attempt. And it doesn't provide the listen again feature.

I contacted the BBC support, who said
"We understand that you are having trouble playing programmes on your Wiki Darkside phablet.
Wiko Darkside is not a common device and hence has not been tested specifically. it sounds like it's custom media player is struggling with HLS transport streams and hence is likely an oversight/error from the manufacturer."

As I said, streaming works perfectly from all other sources I have tried. Even TV using Filmon is absolutely fine. Youtube is perfect. etc.
It's not a carrier problem, as I only stream via wifi

I've also tried (as suggested in another thread) installing Chrome and using the web version of iplayer radio. But that is even worse, it blocks after a couple of seconds.
I'm completely lost on this one. Any thoughts anyone?
Thanks

Wiko Darkside , Android 4.2.1 CPU MTK MT6589 4 cores.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones