1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Odex vs. deodex?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dvdqnoc, Aug 4, 2010.

1. dvdqnoc

dvdqnoc Android Enthusiast

Hello. So I am still in the process of deciding whether to root or not, and I came across a question. I am not too familiar with the difference between odex and deodex.

From what I was able to gather, deodex allows themes/customization while odex does not. But exactly what falls under that category?

For example, if you want to flash additional features on top of a custom ROM, can you do it with odex? Or do you need deodex? For example, I am thinking about flashing a custom locksreen on top of a custom ROM...

Thanks and forgive my ingorance...

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ccapasso

ccapasso Android Expert

In order to do a lot of theming, the ROM must be deodex'd. Flashing a custom lockscreen usually requires the ROM to be deodex'd. There are some things you can do with a ROM that hasn't been deodex'd, but there are more you can do once it has been.

3. Joehunni

Joehunni Android Expert

also, odexed roms are known to be a little snappier, just something to keep in mind.

HTC Hero Forum

The HTC Hero release date was July 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7200A processor, and 1350mAh battery.

July 2009
Release Date
Reviews