• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Odin for Transform Ultra

I have sucessfully saved my phone from Bricked status today via odin then CWM.

I am looking for someone to get me a complete stock phone dump, though I may be getting another phone this week.

So in short, Odin hopefully by the end of the week :)
tell me how and im your man.

edit: nevermind, wifey killed hers today. she tells me im going to kill mine flashing this and that, then she drowns hers in a sink full of dishwater. i love life :)

Upvote 0
I had messaged him about volunteering. I have access to a stock unrooted that I can factory reset and then do whatever is necessary... No response yet though. He did say he may be getting one though himself.
How to get a stock dump from your phone

Install Android SDK on your machine/pc
download here:Android SDK | Android Developers

follow this guide to install sdk and platform-tools:
Installing the SDK | Android Developers there are lots of other guides out there too that are better. just google "install SDK in windows"
if you have problems just pm me..

you must first boot into the stock recovery and wipe data/factory reset before you get the system dump and do not sign into google yet because it has to be just like when you pull it out the box and so you don't send your google info along with the dump.

Ok that guide i posted was confusing... here are instructions. (after you install ADB)
1.) enable usb debugging on your phone and plug it in to the computer.
2.) on your keyboard, press the windows key + R and type cmd
3.) type: adb devices and press enter
you should see:

List of devices attached
#######c#### devices

If you see the nunbers, the ADB is working and detects your TU. If not then you need to install samsung drivers

back in the ADB cmd
4.) type: adb shell and press enter
5.) type: su and press enter
6.) type: dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p15 if=/sdcard/stock_tudump and press enter
let it run and wait till it's finished
7.) type: exit and press enter
8.) type: exit and press enter
9.) type: exit and press enter
10.) enable mass storage on your tu and copy it to your computer

Then send Interdpth a PM with the file uploaded in the message

Reactions: j61101 and smith058
Upvote 0
Will be following this thread, as I was stupid enough to think deleting Carrier IQ would be so easy....

I hate to be a noob, but am I to understand that one would be able to use this tool even if someone (aka me) didn't make a ROM backup of any sort?

I'm sorting through my options right now - which includes either buying a new phone, paying the repair cost, trying to cash in on my warranty (risky since its rooted), or waiting for developments on this end.

Upvote 0
I hate to be a noob,

Are you on Boost? Did you install CWM, if so can you booot into it?

If you can I can probably help you... help one other person in your situation

first try installing my custom rom, this shoud overwight what ever changes you made and put back the files that you deleted...

if that dont work and you can get into cwm then com on the irc and ask me for help(if im around)

good luck

Upvote 0
Will be following this thread, as I was stupid enough to think deleting Carrier IQ would be so easy....

I hate to be a noob, but am I to understand that one would be able to use this tool even if someone (aka me) didn't make a ROM backup of any sort?

I'm sorting through my options right now - which includes either buying a new phone, paying the repair cost, trying to cash in on my warranty (risky since its rooted), or waiting for developments on this end.

Yeah let us know what your condition is man.. I know we can probly help...
can you boot at all? does it get to the operating system but just gives you a black screen? can you get to recovery? what did you install before this?

and to answer your question: yes odin would have all the files in the dl zip to restore your phone completely to stock

Upvote 0
Yeah let us know what your condition is man.. I know we can probly help...
can you boot at all? does it get to the operating system but just gives you a black screen? can you get to recovery? what did you install before this?

My phone is stuck at the "Samsung Transform Ultra" splash screen. It just displays those words forever. I guess it's in what you guys would call a 'boot loop'

See, I thought I could be smart and rename the Carrier IQ files and thus the phone couldn't find the files and would thus be disabled.... well I failed to consider that it actually needs Carrier IQ to boot (at least it seems). I tried doing the factory reset but it didn't really help - I bet all my apps and info are gone, but I can always get that back.

The only thing I did to it was root it (With Transformdatphone.zip) and the rest is really just miscellaneous apps. Only a few even need root access.

I also had this app AntTek which would freeze apps by renaming them, which is where I got the idea to rename the CIQ files, which was a terrible idea. But I used that TrevorE's app to find the files and thought I could just move/rename them and all would be good.

Are you on Boost? Did you install CWM, if so can you booot into it?

Did not install CWM. In all honesty, I didn't really foresee myself tinkering too much with the system files so making backups or installing stuff like that wasn't a big priority. I am on Boost though. Is CWM something I'd need installed on my phone or my computer?

But I am open to solutions. I'm going to try to see if I can return the phone (Not sure if there is a warranty, but the guy said I could probably use the 30-day trade in policy.) Worst case scenario, they find out I tinkered with it and won't trade it which leaves me with you guys and really slow internet for awhile.

To sum it all up, I basically need to get iqmsd back where it belongs, and rename libiq_xxx files back and I'm sure everything will be alright. Of course easier said than done.

Even so, I am not really sure what my options are for getting my phone back online myself. I just see buzzwords like Odin and CWM but for whatever reason the tutorials are hard to find. Idk if I can boot from an SD card or what modes I can put it in. Or if I can browse the contents of the phone with my PC... idk I guess I thought it'd be easier. I saved my xbox from certain doom in a similar situation but... well phones aren't xboxes lol

I really just want to get it fixed and if worst comes to worst, I'll just have to foot the bill for a new one and consider it a hard lesson learned...

Any help would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
if you can trade it it, that would be the easyest thing to do... when you get your new one first thing you want to do is root then install cwm then make a backup...

if you cant return your phone, youre going to have to wait for a program called odin. but thats days down the road... i hear interpth has it semi working..., so he should have it soon, but there is no saying when it woll get done.

Upvote 0
if you can trade it it, that would be the easyest thing to do... when you get your new one first thing you want to do is root then install cwm then make a backup...

Those were my initial thoughts... so using this CWM, would I theoretically be able to flash my stock rom, and then if circumstances demand, restore it to the stock ROM and remove all evidence of there ever having been root access? Either way I'm going to need some some clear instructions on how to do this properly. I'm hoping that they won't ask too many questions when I trade it in...

if you cant return your phone, youre going to have to wait for a program called odin. but thats days down the road... i hear interpth has it semi working..., so he should have it soon, but there is no saying when it woll get done.

If it was any other electronic device it would be easier to wait. That thing was just too dang useful and I'm suffering from withdrawal already.

At any rate, is there some sort of guide on how to use Odin, should that be my next course of action?

Upvote 0
so using this CWM, would I theoretically be able to flash my stock rom, and then if circumstances demand, restore it to the stock ROM

yes thats correct... you can make as many backups as you please, and restore back to any backup you made...

Either way I'm going to need some some clear instructions on how to do this properly. I'm hoping that they won't ask too many questions when I trade it in...

walk in the store... say my phone is not turning on, i would like to trade for a new one PLEASE...

they say ok no problem... one min sir... here is your new phone, sorry there was a problem with this one.

you say thank you have a great day!

is there some sort of guide on how to use Odin

its real easy... there will be istructions when its released.

I'm suffering from withdrawal already.

i know how you feel... i suffer withdrawls every night having to go to sleep.... this phone is awsom!!!

Upvote 0
How to get a stock dump from your phone

Install Android SDK on your machine/pc
download here:Android SDK | Android Developers

follow this guide to install sdk and platform-tools:
Installing the SDK | Android Developers there are lots of other guides out there too that are better. just google "install SDK in windows"
if you have problems just pm me..

you must first boot into the stock recovery and wipe data/factory reset before you get the system dump and do not sign into google yet because it has to be just like when you pull it out the box and so you don't send your google info along with the dump.

Ok that guide i posted was confusing... here are instructions. (after you install ADB)
1.) enable usb debugging on your phone and plug it in to the computer.
2.) on your keyboard, press the windows key + R and type cmd
3.) type: adb devices and press enter
you should see:

List of devices attached
#######c#### devices

If you see the nunbers, the ADB is working and detects your TU. If not then you need to install samsung drivers

back in the ADB cmd
4.) type: adb shell and press enter
5.) type: su and press enter
6.) type: dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p15 if=/sdcard/stock_tudump and press enter
let it run and wait till it's finished
7.) type: exit and press enter
8.) type: exit and press enter
9.) type: exit and press enter
10.) enable mass storage on your tu and copy it to your computer

Then send Interdpth a PM with the file uploaded in the message

He wants a stock, non rooted image though. This means I can't su. I tried running the command without su and I get the error

if: illegal argument combination or already set

So how do I go about backing it up without root?

Edit: Ok, I fixed the command.

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p15 of=/sdcard/stock_tudump

Second one needed to be an of not an if. But... I of course get informed that read permission is denied because I do not have root. Am I mistaken in thinking he wants an unrooted image? I just saw him say "I am looking for someone to get me a complete stock phone dump" so I assumed he meant unrooted.

Upvote 0
yes thats correct... you can make as many backups as you please, and restore back to any backup you made...

Hooray! But would the stock rom include the Super User app? I suppose I could always just delete it and return it to normal.

walk in the store... say my phone is not turning on, i would like to trade for a new one PLEASE...

they say ok no problem... one min sir... here is your new phone, sorry there was a problem with this one.

you say thank you have a great day!

Something like that. I managed to get a new phone and it's up and running already! but I'm going to be more careful about rooting it in the future.

i know how you feel... i suffer withdrawls every night having to go to sleep.... this phone is awsom!!!

The last time I was so devastated when my girlfriend dumped me ;)

At any rate. I'll keep checking in on this forum because I frankly love modding stuff.

Upvote 0
suggestions please? what i could try etc.?

Well you (((("might")))) have a chance at getting your phone back up and running rather quickly -if- you were to offer a signifecant donation (not to me)... I've heard of one tu that has been brought back from the dead... other than that you're going to have to wait or buy a new one.

Upvote 0
Any progress on this yet? I bricked my phone doing some testing to try and fix the touch screen issue. It won't do anything except turn on the notification LED, seems a ROM I tried to flash overwrote everything. Can someone post these files so I can try to at least get clockwork mod running again? Maybe try to get the files using this method:

[HOW-TO]Create Custom ODIN Images for Backup/Restore - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones