• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ODIN Troubles

pandorazboxx

May 3, 2010
I'm very new to this, but I've done some research here and was just trying to use Odin for the first time, based on a couple of threads that I've seen here. I might have made a boo boo though. :-/

OK, so I was trying to flash bearsfan's rom. I put my phone in download mode. I opened up the Odin Multi Downloader v4.03. selected behold2.ops in the OPS slot, put the .md5 file in the PDA slot. I got an error that suggested the image wasn't correct, but the status box on the left said everything checked out fine. So I hit the Start button. Then I got the following in the message box:
Code:
Download Start...
<0> Create File...
<1> StartThread Detected : 1
<2> StartThread Detected : 0
<3> StartThread Detected : 0
<4> StartThread Detected : 0
<5> StartThread Detected : 0
<6> StartThread Detected : 0
<7> StartThread Detected : 0
<8> StartThread Detected : 0
<1> setup connection...
<1> odin mode.. check plcatform verification.
<1> START!!!
<1> check download environment.
<1> e - big partition size!!
<0> Destroy instant..
<0> Killed timer

There was also a big red FAIL box above the com port that the phone was mapped to.

So I'm like hmmmm, that's weird. big partition size? Ok, ummm, let's just push the button one more time. (What's the worst that could happen?)

So I pushed start again. I got the following in the message box next:
Code:
Download Start...
<0> Create File...
<1> StartThread Detected : 1
<2> StartThread Detected : 0
<3> StartThread Detected : 0
<4> StartThread Detected : 0
<5> StartThread Detected : 0
<6> StartThread Detected : 0
<7> StartThread Detected : 0
<8> StartThread Detected : 0
<1> setup connection...

And the red Fail box is still there. But the timer has been counting for at least 20 minutes now. I'm a little concerned because it still says setup connection, not something like flashing or whatever. It sounds to me like the thing is still trying to setup a connection. Would it say flashing once it has went through setup connection?

Bigger question: Is it cool to disconnect the phone? It's still in download mode and this Odin counter keeps ticking. I don't want to brick the phone, so a little help would be good. I'm also worried that this computer is a little flaky and will crash while I'm not sitting in front of it.

Also to get the phone out of download mode if I disconnect it, do I just unplug the battery?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones