• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Odin3 dosnt recognize captivate in download mode, tying to add froyo

oFUNGUSo

Feb 7, 2011
Texas
Hi all, first post/thread here. I did some extensive searching of teh interwebz and this forum trying to find an anwser to my question, but im coming up short. its entirely possible im having an ID 10 T error, so if there is something on here about this please direct me to it. :D

Just got a captivate a week ago, first android phone, iphone convert, loving it so far but wanting to add froyo. of course today the answer i got from AT&T was "we have not been given a date, and im waiting for it to"

i dont want to wait.

i tried using the simple directions ive found on multiple websites. I have my computer where it recognizes the phone and lets me in to the file system. but when i put it into download mode (both volume buttons, then connect cord with odin3 open) odin fails to detect my phone.

when i go into device manager, i see an odd item, some sort of unrecognized device that actually dosnt show up under the list of USB devices.

i have downloaded and installed the drivers, and some other samsung driver that i cant remember the name of. still no go, still unrecognized device in manager, and odin still not doing anything, phone just sits in download mode. even tried manually updateing the unrecognized device with the samsung driver, but it give me an error saying it wasnt successfull or theres a problem with the driver or some such crap. then the comp wouldnt recognize the phone at all when its on and i had to uninstall that dirver.

WTH am i missing here?!?!?? please help. i desire froyo.

There is no official Android 2.2 "Froyo" for the AT&T Captivate. All that exists are hacked-together bits and pieces from other mostly-compatible hardware.

Froyo - CapFAQ

Make sure you do your research first before going down this route.

yeah i know, its the 'leaked' version. i have plenty of experience modifying other phones, i just cant get this odin software to see my phone

Upvote 0
The leaked version is an early unfinished development build. It's extremely old and has lots of known issues. All the current unofficial hacked ROMs use much-newer code.

I don't know anyone still using that old code, or why one might possibly want to.

hmm. well, i still read a lot of people saying that thier cap runs better on any number of these roms, or that leaked version of the update. thats why im considering it.

Upvote 0
The leaked version is an early unfinished development build. It's extremely old and has lots of known issues. All the current unofficial hacked ROMs use much-newer code.

I don't know anyone still using that old code, or why one might possibly want to.

oh i missunderstood, you are saying that the "unnoficial hacked roms" are the better choice. i thought you were saying you are against it all and stay stock.

reading comprehension FAIL. lol

Upvote 0
Do not use Odin on the new captivates! It will brick your phone! If your phone has a build date of 10/10 or newer or has the JH7 version firmware do not use odin. Build date is located under the battery.

wow.......yeah i got JH7. thanks!

i guess im glad i joined this forum. i read quite a bit previous to signing up but i didnt find all the info i needed i guess.

Upvote 0
I think 1007 is the latest number that can use Odin - my Captivate is 1007 and I have no problem with it.

*sigh*

well im glad i found this out, but there is so much information on rooting/flashing custom roms to get some sort of froyo-ish OS that my head is swimming and im lost. maybe i should just return it within the 30 day period for the inspire when it comes out in a few days

Upvote 0
the use of the term' hacked' is an unnecessary adjective for many of them,

It is not a negative term, but to describe the nature of their creation. They are not cleanly written from-scratch using all available inside information, but instead assembled through trial-and-error, reverse engineering, disassembly, source-code modification and recompiling, and other traits of the "hacker" ethos. It's an effective method that produces interesting, creative, functional, but often imperfect results.

The alternative "negative" connotation of the term "hacker" that is often used by the media to distort the public's perception is not one I subscribe to.

Hacker - Wikipedia

oh i missunderstood, you are saying that the "unnoficial hacked roms" are the better choice. i thought you were saying you are against it all and stay stock.

I am not "against it all" but I also don't sugar-coat the world of hacked/custom ROMs like some do. They are not perfect, and introduce their own issues while certainly addressing many of the common complaints about the stock ROM. Plus going down that road carries its own risks and responsibilities. It's not for everyone, but anyone considering it needs the honest truth.

Upvote 0
It is not a negative term, but to describe the nature of their creation. They are not cleanly written from-scratch using all available inside information, but instead assembled through trial-and-error, reverse engineering, disassembly, source-code modification and recompiling, and other traits of the "hacker" ethos. It's an effective method that produces interesting, creative, functional, but often imperfect results.

The alternative "negative" connotation of the term "hacker" that is often used by the media to distort the public's perception is not one I subscribe to.

Hacker - Wikipedia

I am not "against it all" but I also don't sugar-coat the world of hacked/custom ROMs like some do. They are not perfect, and introduce their own
It's not a matter of you not 'sugar coating' anything, I realize you are attempting to educate in your own way, but you go too far, even your disclaimer above is written in such negative tones there's no way to take it any other way. That is why I will continue to help people in a productive way so they find all of the proper resources they need to make an educated decision without unnecessarily prejudicing them in the process.

Reactions: chicknlil
Upvote 0
your disclaimer above is written in such negative tones there's no way to take it any other way.

What part don't you agree with?

The ROM devs/hackers are doing as best they can with the stuff available to them, but it is not perfect. There are button issues that randomly appear for some people. There are battery, reception, and static issues that seem to require some voodoo lottery/roulette of trying random combinations of files, unique to each user... some never finding a working combo. One has to forfeit the Captivate's A1026 "Audience" voice-processing and noise-reduction ship, which is a shame because it does an amazing job on stock.

Do the custom ROMs give you Froyo? Sure. Is the Captivate faster with one? Usually much faster, yes. But it's a trade-off... not a Utopia... and whether the compromise and risks are worth it to each user is up to that user to decide for themselves.

There is no lack of people raving about the benefits of the custom ROMs on here by the overly-enthusiastic... they don't need more trumpeting. However, a user can easily walk away thinking they're perfect and risk-free. They aren't.

I try to bring balance and reality into the fold. :) I recognize it doesn't make me many fans amongst the passionate and zealous converts, but oh well. ;)

Upvote 0
I am not "against it all" but I also don't sugar-coat the world of hacked/custom ROMs like some do. They are not perfect, and introduce their own issues while certainly addressing many of the common complaints about the stock ROM. Plus going down that road carries its own risks and responsibilities. It's not for everyone, but anyone considering it needs the honest truth.

i get what your saying. i went ahead and flashed serendipity 5.5 this morning. so far i have to say it works far smoother than the 2.1 eclair on my phone. of course ive yet to try EVERYTHING on it so im sure theres plenty of time for me to find something that dosnt work how its supposed to

Upvote 0
What part don't you agree with?

The ROM devs/hackers are doing as best they can with the stuff available to them, but it is not perfect. There are button issues that randomly appear for some people. There are battery, reception, and static issues that seem to require some voodoo lottery/roulette of trying random combinations of files, unique to each user... some never finding a working combo. One has to forfeit the Captivate's A1026 "Audience" voice-processing and noise-reduction ship, which is a shame because it does an amazing job on stock.

Do the custom ROMs give you Froyo? Sure. Is the Captivate faster with one? Usually much faster, yes. But it's a trade-off... not a Utopia... and whether the compromise and risks are worth it to each user is up to that user to decide for themselves.

There is no lack of people raving about the benefits of the custom ROMs on here by the overly-enthusiastic... they don't need more trumpeting. However, a user can easily walk away thinking they're perfect and risk-free. They aren't.

I try to bring balance and reality into the fold. :) I recognize it doesn't make me many fans amongst the passionate and zealous converts, but oh well. ;)
I haven't traded off one single thing. Not everyone has the issues you continue to list, ad nauseum. That's what I disagree with, and will continue to disagree with. The constant drumbeat. Instead of suggesting resources to learn (something I've managed to find myself, with a lot of digging, and that I share whenever I can) you go on and on about what wrong, how awful, what a trade-off, etc. It needs to be countered occasionally by a dose of positive information, which is what I'm trying to provide.

The manufacturers themselves can issue updates that cause problems. It goes with development. I think many of the better ROM developers are hitting all the key points now, it's just a matter of finding the developer you like, who makes your phone work the way you like it. Haven't you found that with Perception Build 10.3?

Upvote 0
Not everyone has the issues you continue to list, ad nauseum.

I never said they did. :) In fact, I specifically said that some users experience them while others don't ("randomly appear for some people" and "voodoo lottery/roulette"). Which is part of the problem... if all users experienced something, it'd be more-likely to get fixed (although the inability to link the notification and ringer volumes, a common issue across all I9000-based ROMs, is really annoying). Perhaps a feature like that is not one you use allowing you to not having "compromised" anything, but for others it might be important. Sort of like back when there were bluetooth issues, but you had lots of people saying they didn't care since they didn't use bluetooth therefore the ROMs were still wonderful. Meanwhile, lack of bluetooth would be a deal-breaker for me. Same with the bottom lights not coming on when you touched the screen, which after months was finally addressed. But anyhow, if these random problems were universal they could be diagnosed... but what you get is a group experiencing them and then the devs being unable to reproduce... so the end-users aren't crazy since it's more than one, but because the dev can't make it happen you reach a stalemate. And unfortunately it's usually only 1 maybe 2 devs messing around with it in their spare time.

The constant drumbeat. Instead of suggesting resources to learn
I suggest one in every single post, in my signature. ;)Or did you not realize there was a whole section at FAQ - CapFAQ about custom ROMs and flashing firmwares? In fact, I do recall asking you if you wanted to help contribute.... ;) but Jack45, j101399j and myself have been working on it over the months.

you go on and on about what wrong, how awful, what a trade-off, etc.
I don't recall ever saying the custom ROMs were "awful", but if you'd like to refer me to the post where I did perhaps I can clarify. Meanwhile, yes... I do mention what doesn't work, because that's the balance lacking here... not the fans who only mention the perks. ;)

It needs to be countered occasionally by a dose of positive information, which is what I'm trying to provide.
And I appreciate that and all the other help you offer on here. :) I have no quarrel with you. However, there certainly is no lack of positive feedback about all the things various custom ROMs improve. ;) It's just that so many people get so caught-up in the positive that they tend to omit the less-than-perfect stuff.

it's just a matter of finding the developer you like, who makes y9our phone work the way you like it. Haven't you found that with Perception Build 10.3?
Nope, actually. Some specifics that come immediately to mind, for example:

• Horrible battery life, often losing 20% or so per hour. Have experimented with different kernels/modems but no fix yet. Still trying some of the various (and often conflicting) instructions on how to "calibrate" your battery stats, hoping that is all it is... but it seems there are more ways to supposedly "recalibrate" your battery than there are "cures" for hiccups... and about as-effective.
  • Cannot fix obnoxious "ploink" dialer tones. The standard method doesn't work for some unexplained reason. Confirmed by several other users who have complained about the same problem. No support yet, despite asking in the thread.
  • "Home" button (and occasionally, other buttons) often goes psychotic, rapidly firing as if I were pressing it a dozen times a second. Takes a bit of fussing to snap it out of this. Happens several times a day. Not unique to me... reported by several other users. No support yet for this issue in the thread either.
  • GPS is still blah. DG has stated that he's given up on it.
  • Would love to see all the European spelling variations changed to USA since this is an AT&T ROM, but oh well.
  • Ringer and notification volumes no longer linked (problem in all I9000 ROMs, mentioned earlier. Real pain)

DG is, however, probably the closest I'm going to find to someone who makes a ROM that would suit me. And yes, I've looked at other ROMs... but unfortunately they've always had other things that would bug me, often including a theme that makes me want to gouge out my eyeballs :eek: (and yes, I've looked at alternative themes for them too). Heh.

But like I've stated rather extensively, repeatedly, and wordedly in other posts (so no need to repeat yet-again here): I am not again flashing of custom ROMs. Those that think that are getting too caught-up that I'm suggesting their favorite ROM isn't "perfect" to actually pay attention to what I'm really saying. I'm only wary of leading newcomers astray by misleading them and giving them a false perception (heh) of what things are truly like on the other side of the fence. They need to have all the facts so they can make an informed decision... unfortunately what usually goes on here is the equivalent of handing them a magic pill (Matrix references aside) with the promise that it'll make all their problems go away...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones