• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ofcom gives Orange/T-Mobile permission to start deploying 4G

Yesterday I got a text from Orange telling me that the next time I turn my phone off and back on, it will no longer be showing "Orange" as my service provider, but "EE".

I have since turned off and back on and can confirm that it does say "EE" and would imagine that members of both networks are going to get the same message, which means that you won't get it roaming from one to another, as it will all be branded as the same network :)

Upvote 0
I wonder if anyone knows, will 'EE' combine the Orange/T-Mobile signals? At the moment it seems to drop Orange signal then roam a T mobile one for me, does anyone know if once EE comes in will they be treating it as one signal or still hiding behind two?

Strange that it should drop your Orange signal and then lookup a T-Mo one, in the early phases of the network share rollout there was a drop in signal before the T-Mo would kick in but now you should be enjoying a seamless handover.

If you wanna PM me your mobile or a/c number I can have a look at your a/c if you like?? ;)

Upvote 0
Yeah... I would have thought that they are just rebranding everyone as EE... makes sense really :)

Although your phone now shows EE as your network provider, nothing has really changed in terms of what network your on to be honest. We are renaming our stores and company EE but we will be keeping the Orange and T-Mobile brands and adding a 3rd which of course is EE. :)

Not sure if and when this will change but for the forseeable future there will still be Orange and T-Mo. Even though I now work for EE I still am only trained in the Orange brand and the same applies for T-Mo staff. EE will have seperately trained staff in the EE brand. ;)

Upvote 0
Strange that it should drop your Orange signal and then lookup a T-Mo one, in the early phases of the network share rollout there was a drop in signal before the T-Mo would kick in but now you should be enjoying a seamless handover.

If you wanna PM me your mobile or a/c number I can have a look at your a/c if you like?? ;)

May just be me being a bit of an idiot then, though I'm pretty sure sometimes it shows up as Orange T-Mobile and others it shows up as Orange (though obviously now showing up as EE :)).

I was wondering does anyone have any idea of how much LTE is going to be costing on EE in comparison to 3G? Maybe from experience of this sort of thing going live elsewhere in the world? Is it likely to be

Upvote 0
Taking into account oranges history with dodgy 3g coverage I would hold off a bit to see how well it rolls out and what prices they give it.

As ee is going to be the only company offering 4gee for a while I would wait to see if some competition changes their prices and how their coverage fairs.

Saying all that though, if my contract was up soon I'm pretty sure I would jump blindly in with both feet and hope for the best.

I'm going out on a limb here but I think the 4gee contracts will be with limited data amounts. The same way original 3g data plans were......here, have a faster connection so you can download more but I'm going to cap it so you can't download much?

Rant over.

Upvote 0
May just be me being a bit of an idiot then, though I'm pretty sure sometimes it shows up as Orange T-Mobile and others it shows up as Orange (though obviously now showing up as EE :)).

Even though it showed as Orange/TMo and Orange it should have been a seamless handover from the 2 networks?

I was wondering does anyone have any idea of how much LTE is going to be costing on EE in comparison to 3G? Maybe from experience of this sort of thing going live elsewhere in the world? Is it likely to be

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones