• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Off Line GPS Data question

I have a pretty specific question for offline GPS users.

I have an S3 with Canadian carrier FIDO. I do not have a data package, as the boss at home says I don't need it. :) (I'm still working on her) I have installed the Sygic NA offline GPS app, and it works great.

I am driving to the warmer climate with the family for the kid's spring break, and was thinking it might be a good idea to have live traffic reports. FIDO offers a prepaid data package for the US of 20M for $30. It is steep enough, but would it be enough data to take care of traffic, weather and maybe the a few searches for things to do? Remember, the GPS data is offline, so nothing to download there. I know I'd have to shut down all apps that sync to avoid wasting data as well.

Any help or suggestions, (other than stop being so damn cheap) are appreciated.

Thanks,
James

If it is only 20MB that is really pushing it. I imagine you would probably go over, especially if that supports 4G speeds because those take a lot more data up.

If anything, if you want to go with it be extra careful and make sure to regulate it by turning data off/on whenever you need it (sparingly). Make sure to also set Google Play to only update applications on Wifi, otherwise that will immediately screw you over.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones