1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Off Line GPS Data question

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by jbacka, Jan 17, 2013.

1. jbacka

jbacka Lurker
    None

Dec 31, 2012
    Male
    Tech Support
    Ottawa, ON
    I have a pretty specific question for offline GPS users.

I have an S3 with Canadian carrier FIDO. I do not have a data package, as the boss at home says I don't need it. :) (I'm still working on her) I have installed the Sygic NA offline GPS app, and it works great.

I am driving to the warmer climate with the family for the kid's spring break, and was thinking it might be a good idea to have live traffic reports. FIDO offers a prepaid data package for the US of 20M for $30. It is steep enough, but would it be enough data to take care of traffic, weather and maybe the a few searches for things to do? Remember, the GPS data is offline, so nothing to download there. I know I'd have to shut down all apps that sync to avoid wasting data as well.

Any help or suggestions, (other than stop being so damn cheap) are appreciated.

Thanks,
    James

Advertisement

2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator
    None

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    Civil Engineer
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If it is only 20MB that is really pushing it. I imagine you would probably go over, especially if that supports 4G speeds because those take a lot more data up.

If anything, if you want to go with it be extra careful and make sure to regulate it by turning data off/on whenever you need it (sparingly). Make sure to also set Google Play to only update applications on Wifi, otherwise that will immediately screw you over.

3. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    Another thing you can do is download a data manager app that can turn of all data when you hit your limit. This way, you shouldn't go over and it will alert you when you hit your limit. I use "Data Manager Pro" it works really well.

4. jbacka

jbacka Lurker
    None

Dec 31, 2012
    Male
    Tech Support
    Ottawa, ON
    Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

Part of the carrier's add-on is that they notify you via text when you are getting close to your limits, and they do not allow overruns. I guess the worst case scenario is that I would have to buy another block while I am away if I run out.

Thanks again.