1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Off topic: bathroom window caulking

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rgarner, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Yeah, I've got a lot of questions about home improvement because of the weather this time of year. The bathroom is freezing. I bet if I could caulk it (the window) that would help a lot. Should I get silicon(e), blended, or some other type? What else do I need to get it done? No, I've never used caulk.

2. olbriar

olbriar  

Silicone is a great caulk. Make certain you purchase paintable caulk if you wish to paint your end project.
    Not a must but preferred tools will be some paper towels, rubber gloves, and a bowl of water.
    Start with a small bead of caulk and smooth out with your finger once wet.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Silicon sealant usually does the job

lunatic59 and GameTheory like this.
  4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Bathroom windows are tricky because it's a high moisture area. Without proper ventilation, if a bathroom is too well sealed you will get condensation and mold. A lot has to do with the types of windows, too. If they fit loosely, then caulking will not help, unless you want to caulk them permanently shut (please don't do that). If they are single pane sash windows (casement or double hung) then the glass itself could be the issue.

Rgarner and Mikestony like this.
  5. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Are you caulking the outside or inside?

Depending on the window, and exactly why the bathroom is freezing, caulk may not do squat (see Luna's post above :) )

I use this in my bathroom in the winter:
    [​IMG]

I also use it on my basement (crappy) windows. :)

Edit: oh, and by the way, if you can swing the extra money, get the 3M brand. In my experience, other brands suck as far as the clarity of the film and the quality of the tape after install

Rgarner and lunatic59 like this.
  6. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

For the record, I am caulking only the inside, and yes, I want to be able to open it. It's a bathroom. It needs ventilation. How much is the caulk likely to cost? Are any particular brands better or worse? I guess I don't need any special tools. Anyway, here are some pictures, now that I finally know how to do that. I think the window is aluminum. For sure it slides sideways, often with some trouble. Maybe it needs greasing. It probably doesn't make any difference that there are two glass shower doors that slide moderately ok, and no bathroom fan.

Attached Files:

7. lunatic59

DAP is the granddaddy of caulk. ;) Can't go wrong with that brand. They make several varieties. 100% silicone should cost between $5 ~ $8 per tube. I did see a listing of a latex caulk with silicone for $2.38. That would probably be good enough for you.

Rgarner likes this.
  8. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I got some DAP at the Home Depot. It's almost the same as what Lunatic59 showed, except it says fast dry instead of all purpose. The price was almost the same, too. I hope it's the right one. Yup, I took a couple pictures just in case.

Attached Files:

lunatic59 and Mikestony like this.
  9. lunatic59

The only thing you have to be concerned about with the 'fast dry' kind is if you get it on your fingers or clothing, if you don't get it off right away with a damp towel, you are going to have a bear of a time getting it off after it sets.

Rgarner likes this.
  10. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Is that a full-sized window? I'm having trouble estimating the scale. Most bathrooms in triple-deckers only use quater scale windows. The last time i saw a full sized window in a bathroom I was living in a Brownstone.

Rgarner likes this.
  11. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Here, lemme post another one with an object for scale. It's kind of a weird window that's high up and slides sideways. The view"s not that great but mostly not what I use it for anyway.

Attached Files: