1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Off topic: weatherstripping

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rgarner, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I have a couple of problems with the door. One is the deadbolt. It doesn't latch properly, at least sometimes. Also, it really needs weatherstripping. Does anybody on here know how to do that, how much it would cost, etc.? It's a metal magnetic door with a Kwikset deadbolt. Here are some pictures.

Attached Files:

2. olbriar

olbriar  

I can't see what might be the problem with your dead bolt. Being a quickset, most any hardware store will have a replacement value that they can key to match your existing lock. If the problem is not the lock itself, a slight adjust of the door will likely let the bolt easily enter the receiving keeper. Paper shims at the top or bottom hinge to raise or lower the bolt will often work. Simply unscrew the hinge and place thin cardboard between hinge at door or hinge at jamb and screw the hinge back on.

Depending on your door unit manufacturer, the magnetic weather stripping is either stuck to the jamb stop by an adhesive strip or it has a flange that fits into a receiving groove. Determine which weatherstrip you have and simply purchase a replacement of like make and replace the old.

I hope this helps in some fashion.

lunatic59 and Rgarner like this.
  3. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Yeah, it should. I don't see any groove around the door which probably means it's the kind that sticks on instead. Would that foam roll of it be ok? The silicon(e) might be better, but it probably costs more. How do I add a door sweep at the bottom?

4. olbriar

olbriar  

The groove will be behind the existing weatherstrip. You will need to pull a bit of the existing weatherstrip to see if it's there or is simply stuck on.

A sweep is a bit more of a trick being a metal door. You can find a sweep at a hardware store. Your front door is likely a three foot door. Buy whatever size you need and look for a sweep with self tapping screws. Your new sweep will likely need to be shortened by a half inch or so to fit the door. A hack saw or a motorized chop saw will be the tool for the chore. Close your door and establish the proper height for installation for air flow restriction. Screw on the sweep with a drill with proper apex tip to fit the screws. Self tapping screws will almost need a small pilot hole to aid in starting the screws. You will find the sweep has elongated holes for the screws for minor adjustments to your install.
    Good luck.

Rgarner and lunatic59 like this.
  5. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

We have a metal door at the garage (fire code requirement) and there is a channel cut into the jamb where the weatherstrip fits.
    weatherstrip.jpg

If you pull it back from the corner, you'll see the little gasket that holds it in. These things do get compressed sometimes and have to be replaced for a tight seal. Any home store should have them in stock. They are pretty standard.

Rgarner, olbriar and Mikestony like this.
  6. KBU2

KBU2 Android Expert

Home Depot

Rgarner likes this.
  7. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Ok, how much is that? I hope it's not more than about 10 bucks. Also, I don't have a drill. (I wish.) Is there a kind of door sweep that just sticks on it?

8. olbriar

olbriar  

I've never seen a stick on sweep. Your door unit looks to be of a newer make. Many newer units have an adjustable threshold. You might check yours to see if it has removable plugs in the top that might expose adjustment screws. If so, you are in luck. Just adjust those screws to raise the height of the threshold to meet the existing sweep.

Rgarner and lunatic59 like this.
  9. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Unfortunately, it has no sweep. Probably I could get one at a hardware store. How much would it cost? I hope it's easy to install.

10. olbriar

olbriar  

Is there nothing at the bottom of the door? Being an exterior door I would expect you to find a drip cap sweep combo or at least a sweep of some nature at the bottom of the door.

11. KBU2

KBU2 Android Expert

12. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

On the metal exterior doors I've seen, they all have had aluminum or wood thresholds with a channel for some type of gasket to seal the bottom similar to this.

[​IMG]

Rgarner, Mikestony and olbriar like this.
  13. olbriar

olbriar  

[​IMG]
    I seen this adjustable threshold more often than not the last decade or so. With dripcap/sweep on the door.
    It makes for a great seal that can be adjusted though time if need be.

[​IMG]

Rgarner, Mikestony and KBU2 like this.
  14. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

At last I made it to Home Depot and got some stuff. It was hiding near the plumbing. I still don't know where they put the vacuum cleaners. I guess they have some. Anyway, the most expensive thing I bought was this draft buster which is supposed to slide on easily. It was almost $8. I also got cord weatherstrip. Apparently that was about the only kind they had. While I was at it I got a pack of door corner seals, and another of outlet sealers. I read about that in a special issue of The Family Handyman. I will probably install them tomorrow or Friday. Yes, I took some pictures just to make sure it's the right stuff.

Attached Files:

15. KBU2

KBU2 Android Expert

It would help if you ask one of the workers on the floor they'll be more than glad to help you find anything you can't.

Mikestony likes this.