• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Offical Moment Update

You should post the location of that store in case anyone in your area is reading this. (I've already saved myself a trip twice thanks to this forum!)

Kalamazoo, MI Westnedge location near I-94

Never been to a sprint store with a host/hostess and a service desk with a video display customer service queue and the fact you can make appointments/reservations over the phone for service. 6 - 8 people working the customer service area, 3-4 techs behind the desk doing upgrades/fixes etc. Very nice store.

Upvote 0
Pretty sure the most important part of the phone (the kernel) is covered under the GNU GPL
... but there's no requirement to relinquish any IP, so the modules can stay binary and hidden away. Notice how Samsung's code-drop still isn't enough to build a complete kernel and modules (Zefie's had to spoof module versioning information to get the Samsung modules to load under his new kernels because he's not been able to compile them from source).

Upvote 0
... but there's no requirement to relinquish any IP, so the modules can stay binary and hidden away. Notice how Samsung's code-drop still isn't enough to build a complete kernel and modules (Zefie's had to spoof module versioning information to get the Samsung modules to load under his new kernels because he's not been able to compile them from source).
3. Protecting Users' Legal Rights From Anti-Circumvention Law.

No covered work shall be deemed part of an effective technological measure under any applicable law fulfilling obligations under article 11 of the WIPO copyright treaty adopted on 20 December 1996, or similar laws prohibiting or restricting circumvention of such measures.
When you convey a covered work, you waive any legal power to forbid circumvention of technological measures to the extent such circumvention is effected by exercising rights under this License with respect to the covered work, and you disclaim any intention to limit operation or modification of the work as a means of enforcing, against the work's users, your or third parties' legal rights to forbid circumvention of technological measures.

Thats just one part of the GNU GPL.. This pretty much states there is no such thing as IP when it comes to GNU... You can not circumvent the GPL by stating it is IP or any other personal property... others state how the open source must contain documentation and other requirements

http://opensource.samsungmobile.com/index.jsp?page=1
there is a reason that site exists..

Upvote 0
I tried the Sprint store in Lynnwood, Washington. No such luck. They were "missing something that they needed to update the phone that wasn't sent to them from Corporate." The techs were super busy, so perhaps they just didn't have the time to track down everything they needed to know to do it right then. The main tech and the woman who was helping me both had Moments, as well, and were quite happy to hear about the update. ( I was the first person who asked about it today, apparently. ) They both were running custom kernals, probably Zefies.

They took my phone number and will call me back when they get things figured out.

Upvote 0
3. Protecting Users' Legal Rights From Anti-Circumvention Law.
But you're not hearing me- only extensions to the kernel main tree have to be published as open source. So what did Samsung (and HTC, and TiVo, and NVidia, and Qualcomm, etc.) do? They make a closed-source, binary-only driver module (with perhaps a thin OS layer they do publish). That's what's happening here, and they don't have to publish the source for that.

Open Source - Samsung Mobile

there is a reason that site exists
Yes, and you still can't build a complete Moment kernel and modules with it and there's nothing the FSF et al. can do about it, as Samsung's still within their GPL rights.

Upvote 0
But you're not hearing me- only extensions to the kernel main tree have to be published as open source. So what did Samsung (and HTC, and TiVo, and NVidia, and Qualcomm, etc.) do? They make a closed-source, binary-only driver module (with perhaps a thin OS layer they do publish). That's what's happening here, and they don't have to publish the source for that.

Yes, and you still can't build a complete Moment kernel and modules with it and there's nothing the FSF et al. can do about it, as Samsung's still within their GPL rights.

WTF?!? If they are releasing closed-source binary-only driver moodules (which is attempting to circumvent GPL and they can be sued for) then how the hell is zefie compiling his own version of the kernel with driver optimization? Have you even downloaded the m900 open source file and looked in it? The entire kernel is in there...only closed source stuff is the actual driver dll file... and that is because that isnt part of the kernel... the actual controller script that references the dll is kernel based thus all that is open source

Upvote 0
Finally got a chance to sit down at the computer to post an update.

I picked up my handset from Sprint this afternoon. The update completed successfully, and the phone is reporting CL14.

I'm VERY happy with the update so far.

I've been able to use Google maps twice this afternoon/evening, and the phone has been able to lock onto my position with no problems at all. GPS and Network based location are both enabled. It finds me MUCH more quickly than it ever did before. The Accuweather app found me immediately, which NEVER worked before. I ALWAYS got weather reports for countries on the other side of the world.

The interface is more resposive and fluid. Menus and web pages scroll more smoothly. Things generally feel more "snappy". (yeah yeah, I know... quite scientific)

I won't be able to comment on battery life until Sunday when I've had a chance to go through a normal day or two of use on a full overnight charge. I notice that the entry "settings > about phone > status > battery" does not show a percentage any more.

Numus, if you see this... what battery meter do you suggest I get? What will give me the most information to relay back to you on battery performance with the new official firmware? Does it matter?

The keyboard lag has been fixed. I probably won't download HandcentSMS again since I can use the stock SMS app without the keyboard lag. I had also experienced keyboard lag in other apps to. So far, keyboard response has been perfect after the update.

Lots of folks here on this thread seem to be wound a little tight. The phone just came out in November. It's just now the middle of January and they've got an update out to fix some major issues. As telecom companies go, that is pretty darn fast. The update just became available today, and considering the circumstances, I think the techs did a pretty good job scrambling to figure out how to get this update installed.

In the next couple days, I'm sure things will go much more smoothly for anyone who isn't on the absolute bleeding edge of things (read: the rest of the general population who have this phone).

I haven't tried Bluetooth yet. I might get a chance to try it this weekend, but honestly, I never use my headset. I wonder where it is... :eek:/

-SF

Upvote 0
If they are releasing closed-source binary-only driver moodules then how the hell is zefie compiling his own version of the kernel with driver optimization?
He's not optimizing the binary-only drivers- just the ones built into the kernel that was posted. Like I'd already said, he's spoofing the kernel version of the kernel's he's building to let their modules continue to load. Check it- it's on his WiKi:

Zefie said:
Updated kernel to 2.6.27.12 (version reports 2.6.27 to retain compatibility with proprietary modules)

(which is attempting to circumvent GPL and they can be sued for)
Yeaaaaaah- have fun with that. My "big chipset maker" has its lawyers go over everything they send to us at my "big handset maker" before we can even see it and it's GPL-clean, proprietary code and all. Suing anyone just ain't happening unless you wanna get laughed out of court. A lot of people put a lot of work into making sure there's no GPL violations- why do you think Android uses "Dalvik" instead of the Sun JRE? Why "Bionic" instead of GLibc?

Upvote 0
Lots of folks here on this thread seem to be wound a little tight.
Can't speak for anyone else, but I use location-based services all the time (Google Maps, Sprint Navigation, and the camera) and would upgrade for that fix alone and I WANNIT WANNIT WANNIT NOOOOOW! :)

BTW, I'm assuming that since they didn't say anything about audio, there's no perceptible change?

Upvote 0
He's not optimizing the binary-only drivers- just the ones built into the kernel that was posted. Like I'd already said, he's spoofing the kernel version of the kernel's he's building to let their modules continue to load. Check it- it's on his WiKi:

Yeaaaaaah- have fun with that. My "big chipset maker" has its lawyers go over everything they send to us at my "big handset maker" before we can even see it and it's GPL-clean, proprietary code and all. Suing anyone just ain't happening unless you wanna get laughed out of court. A lot of people put a lot of work into making sure there's no GPL violations- why do you think Android uses "Dalvik" instead of the Sun JRE? Why "Bionic" instead of GLibc?
I am pretty sure i know a lot more about what zefie does witht eh kernels and were they come from then you do... with that being said.. i am going to start drinking so PEACE OUT!

Upvote 0
I'm in So Cal (Coachella Valley) & we have only two local stores with techs.

I called the closest one to me who didn't know about the update. He went to go ask (in the meantime while I was on hold, someone tried to pick up my line and dial our local electric company, thinking she had succesfully dialed them, began to ask me about her electric service). When the Sprint rep came back on the line he instructed me to download the update from HTC's website. I reminded him that I asked about the Samsung Moment and he said they didn't have it yet.

The second store didn't know about the update either but was at least helpful and understanding, stating that they would contact their tech dept to find out what is up so I can call back tomorrow to see if they learned anything.

I'll see if they can get their act together.

Upvote 0
Good question. I'll download Pandora now and try it.

-SF

I only let it play for 15 minutes, but... It didn't give me any problems. Audio sounded good, and I didn't get any off the goofy blips and crackles that I got with the old firmware. As time goes on, I'll get a better idea if it's actually fixed, but it seems promising for now.

-SF

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone,
Apparently everyone is going to have to drive to KS to get the updates to their phones, lol... Mine was successfully updated to CL14 today in Lawrence, KS. However... the tech there was not aware of the update until I told him about it and I was the first to be done at the store.. One word of caution though --- IT DOES CLEAR ALL YOUR APPS/SETTINGS.. basically like getting your phone brand new again, which I didn't expect. Luckily for me I've only had my phone for about a week so it wasn't that big of a deal.

As far as the update itself... I haven't had much of a chance to mess with it since the update but I'm hopeful it will help out some with the battery life..

Upvote 0
I had an AWFUL experience today trying to get the update. I called my local sprint store and made an appointment for 7pm. Got there at 645 and was told to sit and wait for my name to be called, but that my appointment would put me at the top of the list...

So its 730 when I pull someone over to complain about their efforts to keep appointments. He takes the phone and tells me he is 'taking care of it.'

I sit and wait until 805 when their tech comes out to tell me that he doesn't have the drivers downloaded and that they close at 8pm.

So thats over an hour of my life lost (plus the half hour driving there) to come up empty. LAME LAME LAME.

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone,
Apparently everyone is going to have to drive to KS to get the updates to their phones, lol... Mine was successfully updated to CL14 today in Lawrence, KS. However... the tech there was not aware of the update until I told him about it and I was the first to be done at the store.. One word of caution though --- IT DOES CLEAR ALL YOUR APPS/SETTINGS.. basically like getting your phone brand new again, which I didn't expect. Luckily for me I've only had my phone for about a week so it wasn't that big of a deal.

As far as the update itself... I haven't had much of a chance to mess with it since the update but I'm hopeful it will help out some with the battery life..

Does the phone atleast remember what apps you HAD downloaded so you can get them again easier? Do you have to re-buy pay apps (thinking beautiful widgets...)

Upvote 0
Does the phone at least remember what apps you HAD downloaded so you can get them again easier? Do you have to re-buy pay apps?
The market does remember and paid apps (I use Rerware Backup) get downloaded again too for free, AFAIR. Just go to "Market->My Downloads".

It's the settings and such that I'd hate to have to redo, but this update sounds like it's worth having.

Upvote 0
I only let it play for 15 minutes, but... It didn't give me any problems. Audio sounded good, and I didn't get any off the goofy blips and crackles that I got with the old firmware. As time goes on, I'll get a better idea if it's actually fixed, but it seems promising for now.

-SF
Is there any change in the camera? Does it open any faster (less than 10secs)? And do you notice the change in the Sprint TV app (though I get the feeling that I am the only one that uses it)?

Upvote 0
The market does remember and paid apps (I use Rerware Backup) get downloaded again too for free, AFAIR. Just go to "Market->My Downloads".

It's the settings and such that I'd hate to have to redo, but this update sounds like it's worth having.

Is the app called AFAIR or Rerware Backup? Do you need to have an app for that or does the market just know?

Upvote 0
Is the app called AFAIR or Rerware Backup? Do you need to have an app for that or does the market just know?
(Provided you're not pulling my leg!) "AFAIR" == "As far as I (can) remember". :)

Once you've logged in to your Google ID on your phone, the market will remember your download history and prompt you to get them all again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones