• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Office - word - Excel

It really doesn't matter matter if they push google aps that hard, some of us are bound by work and school to Office, and even a smile copy/paste/edit capability in Office docs would be AWESOME.
If we can get OpenOffice java on the G1, heck that would be good enough... even better than good enough.

Upvote 0
but google docs supports office in the same way open office does so I don't see too big an issue.

I use Open Office on my pc and laptop but everything is uploaded to G Docs and I have edited there in the past also.

No one has ever had a problem with anything I have sent them so I can't see it being a big issue.

Upvote 0
I used to have a Palm PDA and had Dataviz and Quickoffice. Don't waste your time on QuickOffice. The Dataviz (Docs2Go) was excellent. I had a strange complaint for them: They did TOO much with it. I just needed Word/Excel and they did image/PDF/Everything else I didn't want or need.

With that said, Google DOCS is what I really want because you can export to Word/Excel (PPT, too, but I don't ever use that...yet) or OpenOffice formats. I only use Linux on my PCs/Laptops so I don't care if M$ office is available or not, but I do have to support their (annoying) formats, including docx and whatever for my clients.

Google Docs does allow some simple editing of XLS docs at docs.google.com but nothing special YET. I think it's coming else that much wouldn't have been added.

If you want something that looks very promising, check out Androffice - Office Suite for Android which seems to be pretty cool. At least what they have so far looks like just what I would want, if G-Docs doesn't come all the way.

HTH...

Upvote 0
Good point. Like I said, I've used the Palm version, and it was solid. I actually don't want them to integrate it with the desktop. Their Docs2Go desktop product was a nasty beast to use, and usually made duplicates of the documents, and more duplicates. I got so I just deleted all the documents except the last Document_Name_1 where they kept appending _1 _2 _3 . . . to the ends as they duplicated them. It was a bug that never got fixed because they didn't acknowledge it existed. It only affected people who synced their palms from home AND work. If you synced to just one PC, it wasn't a problem. But, I also don't want to have to use VMWare Server (though it's free now) just to run a stupid version of Microsoft OS so I can sync my Docs2Go stuff.

So, in short, Having No Desktop Integration is GREAT!

Upvote 0
Androffice is in development. It only now supports XLS files.

Quickoffice is a paid program (normally $20, right now $10), but it does not support recent Word and Excel (2007) file formats.

DataViz's Documents to Go is $30, available through the Android Market (simple reinstall after device replacement or restore), and does far more than either of the others, or Google Docs for that matter.

It handles the 2007 Office formats, including PowerPoint that the others miss entirely (viewing is offered by Microsoft's Office Mobile) and adds PDF viewing as a bonus. It also supports more Excel functions than the others, and far more than even Microsoft's Pocket Excel.

Now, it's not perfect either. For instance, while it supports Office 2007 files, it only supports password-protected files through the 2003/2004 formats. But since Google has chosen not to include an Android-native version of Google Docs, this is the best option we seem to have at the moment. Check that - Documents to Go's "Sheet to Go" is better than Google Docs' spreadsheets - it supports more functions. Though of course, each is continuing to improve their products; if the simple number functions is a matter, either may pass the other at any time.

The "selling point" to me is that it can edit existing DOCX and XLSX files, without conversions, and without damaging any formatting/features that it doesn't support so they are still there when you open them back on a PC. That's what I got used to on a Windows Mobile phone; being able to do work from wherever I am, and in the same file formats. Even OpenOffice doesn't handle the DOC and XLS formats completely, so I need an app that doesn't damage what it doesn't understand.

Too bad none of these options have a Pocket Access equivalent. Microsoft dropped that from Office Mobile in 2000. I'd rather not need to buy yet something else, getting "nickeled-and-dimed", or more accurately $10 and $20'd, to death. I can manage one Office-equivalent purchase, justifying that the OS costs less than Windows Mobile. There are other benefits too, but that's another matter. I liked a lot of what WinMo included, and don't like losing them in order to get what it didn't include. Like a decent browser.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones