• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official 2.1 Release Disappointments

Multi touch is only one of many filings, most or all of which Samsung has exposer. It's also extremely unlikely in these cases will ever see open court. As the suits fly back and forth and legal costs mount, they'll eventually come to licensing agreements. In the end, the only winners are the lawyers. I'm totally guessing here, but I think Samsung's decision to omit multi touch has less to do about lawsuit and more to do about resources. That is if the phone is even capable. Of course, Samsung could clear it up by saying if the phone is capable, but that would necessitate communication.
I dont usually post on speculation... with that being said my original post was based upon conversations i have had with samsung and sprint contacts... At this time they arent 100% sure if the hardware supports multitouch but they confirmed with the HTC v Apple suit they are holding off even if it does support

Reactions: pastafarian
Upvote 0
Mentioned in the release notes:
"Increased speed and performance"

I see absolutely no performance increases, in fact, ever since the first beta 2.1 leak, I've seen nothing but a decrease in performance. Swiping between homescreens, for example, is like a freakin choppy mess. Youtube in HQ has slight hiccups here and there, still present in DE03.

Sounds like you might need to do the update again. From what I have seen at SDX and other sources, you would probably be in the minority. From a clean stock flash on 1.5 to a clean stock flash on 2.1 (both from sprint/samsung) the 2.1 was mountains above 1.5 on my phone. I didn't even add any extra programs.

I am now on the SDX 2.1 (there isn't a better way to go) and removed a lot of the Sprint bloatware/crap and it runs even better. I would recommend you at least do another flash - maybe for good measure do it twice - and go from there....

Upvote 0
@coldstatic You got 3 days on CL14? God, I was happy with 6 hours... I know I probably use my phone more than anyone else on here based on what I've seen people say, but I am usually a 'toss it on the charger while I eat' guy at work and run it off a vehicle charger in the car.

If you were pulling a week on a charge on Joey's, I'd sure like to know your settings. I'd love to pull that kind of time on a single charge (especially since the battery isn't rated for it)...

My Settings:
Auto Screen Brightness
6 email accounts (using K-9) - 3 set for 15 minutes 3 set to 30 minutes
Twitdroid Pro - set 30 minute refresh
Facebook - set 30 minute refresh

Usage:
Voice - appx 2 hrs a day
Media Player - appx 2 hrs a day

Data Usage:
Dolphin HD Browser - 30-60 min per day
Slacker Radio - 2 hrs per day (when its not locking up) - Sub with Pandora when it does
Downloading Files - 30 min per day

Average Battery Life (between charges from 100% to 15%) 5.5 hours +/-

Like I said, I'm pretty happy with that number given how hard I use it, but if you are getting a week at a time on a custom ROM, I'd sure like to know how.

Thanks!

@Mw182006 I think it's a default setting in the lock program for DE03 - I don't think it can be disabled without rooting and replacing the lock program (same for Mute/speaker while on a call)

Upvote 0
...This is my first Samsung phone. It's apparent to me that when compared to its competitors, Samsung applies very little resources to released devices...

Samsung has a lot on their plate. Cell phones isn't all they do, they make everything from TVs to hard drives and somewhere in the middle is their cell phone division. HTC, on the other hand, only does cell phones and if they screw that market up they're a dead company. It's like comparing Lowes to Wal-Mart and complaining that Wal-Mart didn't have the 4x8 OSB you needed. Not saying that Samsung can be excused for having a crappy product in anything they do, just saying it happens.

**Not related to quote above**

I personally like this phone and don't have a problem with anything they've done(especially after being burned by Motorola). At least we got an update, Hero owners are still waiting for their official update.

Yeah, it's vanilla Android, it isn't flashy, it doesn't have a bunch of cool effects, but it is fast and does what it is supposed to. I don't care if my gallery is 3D or not I just want to watch my movie or find a picture. The less flashy it is the less likely it is someone will steal it or want to constantly play with it and screw it up.

Upvote 0
@coldstatic You got 3 days on CL14? God, I was happy with 6 hours... I know I probably use my phone more than anyone else on here based on what I've seen people say, but I am usually a 'toss it on the charger while I eat' guy at work and run it off a vehicle charger in the car.

If you were pulling a week on a charge on Joey's, I'd sure like to know your settings. I'd love to pull that kind of time on a single charge (especially since the battery isn't rated for it)...

My Settings:
Auto Screen Brightness
6 email accounts (using K-9) - 3 set for 15 minutes 3 set to 30 minutes
Twitdroid Pro - set 30 minute refresh
Facebook - set 30 minute refresh

Usage:
Voice - appx 2 hrs a day
Media Player - appx 2 hrs a day

Data Usage:
Dolphin HD Browser - 30-60 min per day
Slacker Radio - 2 hrs per day (when its not locking up) - Sub with Pandora when it does
Downloading Files - 30 min per day

Average Battery Life (between charges from 100% to 15%) 5.5 hours +/-

Like I said, I'm pretty happy with that number given how hard I use it, but if you are getting a week at a time on a custom ROM, I'd sure like to know how.

Thanks!

@Mw182006 I think it's a default setting in the lock program for DE03 - I don't think it can be disabled without rooting and replacing the lock program (same for Mute/speaker while on a call)

I use my phone very sparingly. Mostly to answer texts or do a quick lookup on the web. I have the screen at full brightness and have wifi shut off and gps and all location stuff shut off. No bluetooth. I keep everything pretty turned down. I also mis-spoke earlier. It wasnt joey's that gave me the great batt life it was zefe's. Majority of the time to make calls and other stuff i use my tp2.

Upvote 0
I use my phone very sparingly. Mostly to answer texts or do a quick lookup on the web. I have the screen at full brightness and have wifi shut off and gps and all location stuff shut off. No bluetooth. I keep everything pretty turned down. I also mis-spoke earlier. It wasnt joey's that gave me the great batt life it was zefe's. Majority of the time to make calls and other stuff i use my tp2.
It wasen't joeys or zefie's.. it was my recode on the battery reporting variables and modifications that they both incorporated...

Reactions: coldstatic
Upvote 0
I had forgotten that I had to set the screen timeout in Cupcake, too. I completely forgot about that setting!

As for the Bluetooth problem, I'll have test this again. I'm not 100% sure if it's actually doing this, or if it was some other random problem that I was having that day.

The screen timeout problem was the bigger problem for me. I don't talk on the phone much when I'm in the car.

The Bluetooth problem is real and confirmed. I thought it was just me at first, but others have the same problem. At least all the old bugs are gone. I have one new one to deal with!

http://androidforums.com/samsung-moment/63634-2-1-dd03-phone-audio-routing-issue.html

Upvote 0
3) Bluetooth Audio: The routing was changed, and for good reason. If you played with an early build (DD03 etc...) you'd know why. Bluetooth audio was horrible on the leaks. Time to bite the bullet and pay $300 for a bluetooth audio interface or a new deck.

I see what you mean about this. I have two cars. One, with an A2DP Bluetooth connection, now gets streaming audio that works quite well now, but not under CL14. The other car has the Bluetooth HandFree profile for the phone and an AUX IN for audio. That one used to work okay in CL14, but doesn't now.

Upvote 0
@coldstatic - So why have a second Smartphone? If you disable everything it's like having something less than an Instinct or something...

Good to know about Zefe's though... Might be worth a look, but for now, I'll be using the stock 2.1 and running it ragged... :)

The moment is my personal phone and the tp2 is my work phone. I use to have a basic phone before but i realy liked how the moment looked when it was coming out. Mostly keep the phone b/c of the number but i do like some of the otehr features on it over a basic phone. Also when i need to do something GPS or bluetooth related i will turn them on. The 10-15 seconds extra it takes to turn something on or off is worth it over time in batt life.

Upvote 0
For everyone complaining about speed, usually I've found that stock apps that Sprint put in keep running in the background slowing stuff down. I have joeykrim 3.0.8 recovery with v7 root and I removed MoxierMail, Nuance, and a couple others, then kill apps using Advanced Task Killer automatically on boot up and it runs like a champ. 65mb free memory. Even added in the 3D gallery and it runs pretty smoothly.
What I did to mine:
Installed joeykrim 3.0.8 recovery
Loaded joeykrim root v7
Installed Nexus One Boot Animation
Removed Stock apps
Installed ATK with widget
Also, almost every screen in the world is capable of multi-touch. How well is another story.... If the G1 can run multi-touch using a reverse engineered Synaptics driver, I'm sure the Moment could too. However, the G1's multitouch is ghetto jenky at best.

Upvote 0
I did the update and the phone slowed down a ton. Going from screen to screen is choppy. I waited a few days to see if their was any diffrence but the phone sux now imo. Another problem i have had is the battery life is now crap. Stock 14 i was gettin 3 days average use. Joeykrim's rooted i was gettin a week or more. With this i am getting about a day. The only reason i like it now is the voice to text feature.

If you want a better home screen download the HelixLauncher from the market. I am using it and am very happy with it.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you might need to do the update again. From what I have seen at SDX and other sources, you would probably be in the minority. From a clean stock flash on 1.5 to a clean stock flash on 2.1 (both from sprint/samsung) the 2.1 was mountains above 1.5 on my phone. I didn't even add any extra programs.

I am now on the SDX 2.1 (there isn't a better way to go) and removed a lot of the Sprint bloatware/crap and it runs even better. I would recommend you at least do another flash - maybe for good measure do it twice - and go from there....

i did the clean samsung/spring update to 2.1 as well..not bad..but waht do you mean you are in SDX 2.1 Do you mean you did their version (flashing to sprint 2.1 and doing the extra step to allow live wallpaper?) cus thats what I did..so Is that working good for you still? Just wondering. I guess thats all we can do to get it as close to the real 2.1..now I'm going to search for the 3d gallery.APK Am I heading the to the right path as in updating is concerned? thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones