• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official 2.2 update impressions thread!

Well I haven't noticed mine taking too much of a hit in battery life. I was at about 60% last night around 11 when I went to bed. Now it's about 3:30 in the afternoon, the next day and I'm sitting at 40% left.

I haven't used it all that much though. Tested Pandora for about 3-4 minutes (1 song) and it sounded great. Sent/Received about 4 text messages earlier this morning and talked on the phone for about 2 minutes. I also had 2 alarms set to wake me up this morning.

EDIT:

I gotta believe that some of the problems people are having are related to loading a 2.2 ROM over a 2.1 ROM without any data wipe of any kind. I'll spell out what I mean for those who aren't rooted and don't have experience with loading custom ROMs.

When 2.2 was leaked, it was a well known fact that a Data wipe (factory restore) was HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to run 2.2 without issues if coming from 2.1. I personally wipe much more than just my Data partition (factory reset) when switching ROMs (even between 2.2 ROMs). All of the problems I am reading about I see everyday and my first question is "Did you wipe data prior to flashing this ROM?"

What's my point? If you are having serious performance problems after 1-2 days, go ahead and do a factory restore. You will still have 2.2 but you WILL LOSE ALL OF YOUR SETTINGS, CALL LOGS, ETC. Google will back up your apps from the market (both paid and free apps), contacts, Gmail calendar objects, etc.) but without an app like Titanium Backup (which requires Root Access), you will lose quite a bit.

Beats having a really slow phone though! :D

As UBRocked said, my update was done from a fresh install of stock 2.1. I originally had 2.1 rooted, and used RSDLite to flash back to original 2.1, even had to re-activate my phone. I think the only thing it kept was my background image! Everything else was wiped, call logs, contacts, apps, message logs. Maybe you guys should try to flash to stock 2.1 with RSDLite, then do the update. Although, I would be a little nervous now with all the talk about 2.1 factory reset losing all it's service or whatever.

Upvote 0
Biggest thing I've noticed on the droid so far is that the Sirius Radio app gets stuck in a loop and keeps rewinding and repeating the same stuff over and over. I thought I was losing it listening to NFL Network this afternoon. I mean it's bad enough having to listen to all of the Brett Favre drama again this year but with the app looping it was really extra freaky.

I noticed that other phones have run into this problem too.

Upvote 0
Well I can't say I'm happy with some of the supposed "updates". Exchange Email does not push, despite what the program would have you believe, so I can't ditch Touchdown and the 12+ mb of space it's taking up. My home replacement (GDE) is now rebooting every time there's even a moderate workload, causing a good minute delay at least before you can browse it again. I'd ditch it, but the updates to the existing homescreen are woefully inadequate, with no way to scroll from the far right back to the far left and buttons that aren't customizable. That I had to download flash from the internet and not from the Market is a joke. I dislike that the user pictures in the messaging app can't be disabled, though I might consider it a fair trade if it never deletes all my messages without warning again. And I haven't even attempted streaming audio, so if that's messed up too I'm gonna be furious, especially if it messes up the $15 I paid for MLB At Bat.

Upvote 0
So far, I have not had any problems. I have used it off and on since the install. I had to recharge the battery because it was almost dead. The battery life seems to be discharging a tad faster...I'll keep an eye on it.

One thing that I have noticed-At start-up it first says NO SERVICE-no bars or anything-then switches to say VERIZON WIRELESS and has the 3g and signal bars.

Never noticed it doing that before.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones