• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official 4G/WiMAX Coverage Areas

This video is very informative, but why if this is the future is Sprint and Clear saying if they need to switch to LTE they can?

If one co. is selling WiMax and the other LTE with both claiming they are the future.

Which one would you buy stock in ?

Sprint eliminates that fear by telling people they can switch to LTE in the future if needed. Those fears are gone and the money starts rolling in vs waiting to see what the future will bring.

Sprint needs to bring as many people on board NOW before any other options are avail. That might not happen if Investors / people are sitting on the fence waiting.

Just my opinion, I might be wrong.

Upvote 0
If one co. is selling WiMax and the other LTE with both claiming they are the future.

Which one would you buy stock in ?

Sprint eliminates that fear by telling people they can switch to LTE in the future if needed. Those fears are gone and the money starts rolling in vs waiting to see what the future will bring.

Sprint needs to bring as many people on board NOW before any other options are avail. That might not happen if Investors / people are sitting on the fence waiting.

Just my opinion, I might be wrong.
An opinion i agree with.

Ts

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Man, I am really curious as to how much of the SF Bay Area will be covered. Solely San Francisco? Or will it extend into the East bay?
Yeah, I'm curious too. It looks like the South Bay might get covered pretty well according to what Eieio had said about towers here. Hopefully having Cal campus here will bring coverage to Berkeley since colleges are supposed to get coverage. Go Bears!:p

Upvote 0
I live in a city about 7 miles from Sacramento, CA called Rancho Cordova. Clearwire has a bunch of building permits to install towers all over my town. It looks like must are making there way through the zoning and approval process as we speak. Here is some interesting reading for those who want to learn more:
http://www.cityofranchocordova.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=5189

Here is an example of the number of towers needed to cover a small town (65,000 people.)

Click on image for full size.

Reactions: GoldenStatePanda
Upvote 0
DC has had some coverage since late 2008/early 2009. They have not sold service there because until a city is adequately covered it is not a good idea to advertise coverage. Worst thing you can do is get people to sign up for a service that underperforms and drops you when you go through dead spots. They have been building up a lot of cities but they have not advertised them or sold service there until they are satisfied with the quality of service.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones