• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official 4G/WiMAX Coverage Areas

And don't get me started on the shit eatters here in Pasco....
They SUCK its all about the money for the cops in Pasco.......

Its all about getting people on probation because of the fail rate and repeat offenders! lol srsly, I knew a few cops there having dealt with them for 15+ years in that area.

So people are getting signals in NPR, Tarpon, Clearwater & Tampa, thats awesome!

Upvote 0
I live in DTC area, near Orchard & Havana with Sprint EVO 4G and no 4G signal in or near my house. Does anyone have two cross streets in Denver where 4G works at this time? I will probably drive there to see how nicely 4G works. Thanks, David

i live pretty close to you! just off of belleview and i-25. i'm looking forward to 4g (got to experience it in portland and vegas), but my actual service is really poor in and right around my apartment.

i also got 4g to connect when my plane landed at dia, but lost it by the time i got off the plane.

Upvote 0
Awwwwwww SNAPS! I work at Polaris and some guys were saying that a 4G tower was going up on Polaris & I-71 intersection. I gaffed it off thinking Verizon was spreading its LTE wings since Columbus is on their list for later this year.

Went to lunch at Steak&Lube on Thurs and boooyah, 4G! Got about 6mb down but its pretty spotty outside the Polaris area though. I can't get it at the Chase campus so I guess they still have work to do. Very promising tho...

Upvote 0
Its all about getting people on probation because of the fail rate and repeat offenders! lol srsly, I knew a few cops there having dealt with them for 15+ years in that area.

So people are getting signals in NPR, Tarpon, Clearwater & Tampa, thats awesome!

I have yet to actually hook into it yet. I dont doubt it though.. I have just been at home a lot due to a broken foot :(
Whenever i do gp out i definitely plug into power and open up the 4G in hopes of finding some soon!

Upvote 0
Are you insane? :thinking:

The Evo has bad enough battery life as it is on 3g! 4g is nothing but a battery sucking unusable novelty to make people happy about paying an extra $10/mo fee...

Battery life is actually pretty good, I had 4g down in Miami by the courthouse and left it on all day without having to swap out my battery. I have 4 batteries just in case though LOL usually only keep 1 spare in my backpack though.

Upvote 0
4 bars in the San Fernando Valley at Saticoy and Louise, as I drove north on Louise I Lost it at about Strathern. This is the first time I have picked up a 4g signal in the valley.

Was getting 4-5 Mbps

Nice. I didn't know that there were areas in SFV that 4G worked. Now I'm gonna have to check everytime I go down there.

Upvote 0
This would be a good time for us all to use Sensorly, the free mapping application that compiles results from multiple customers' phones in order to very accurately track the progress of 4G (and other) cellular coverage.

Also, please note that even here in the Washington-Baltimore area, where 4G has been officially marketed and is shown as "up" on maps it is still quite spotty, much like cellular service was in its early days back in the mid-80's. For the technically-inclined it is a neat science experiment at this point, and for others it is only a battery-drain, except for those lucky few who are very close to any the small handful of 4G sites across this large region. The same will probably be true most markets, including South Florida. It will be a gradual process.

As of last week and Monday, I never found 4G anywhere in South Florida. Mostly I am in the South Broward area (I-595 corridor) and Oakland Park, but was also down as far Fairchild Gardens (south of Miami) and up to Riviera Beach during the week. Now out of town for a while, I am wondering if anyone has seen any coverage yet in my neighbourhood around 595 and Pine Island.

I downloaded Sensorly, but I didn't mark 4G spots I drove through? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Drew, you wrote:

I downloaded Sensorly, but I didn't mark 4G spots I drove through? :thinking:

You don't need to do anything special for the data to be sent to Sensorly. If you are looking at the map on your screen you will also be sending data. The "Map in Background" option also also keeps you sending data while on other applications.

What I do, since 4g is limited, is to leave it off at home to save battery. When I am going to be driving around, particularly a longer ride across town, is to turn on GPS and 4G, activate Sensorly and put on "Map in Background" mode. Usually I switch these back upon arriving a my destination. This allows data to be collected when they will make a meaningful contribution to the map.

As of this morning, no coverage is shown yet in South Florida, but it can take a day or two for them to compile everyone's data. If many of us use it, however, we should start getting a good visual indication of the progress of 4G construction.

...Sam

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones