• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official 4G/WiMAX Coverage Areas

Holy Crap. How did it get all the way out there first before it even got to Nassau and parts of Queens.

To use the old saying. Well, its the Hamptons. Fios isn't out here yet though even though its the Hamptons.
I may be misleading myself and you. I hit the 4g button and it searches then stays on that means I have 4g coverage correct?

Upvote 0
I'm 2 miles east of the MSP airport...no 4G so far. Also, I track highway 36 and 35E in St. Paul. Can't pick up any 4G there either.
BUT the good news is, in Woodbury, MN off Valley Creek road by Super Target, I had great 4G coverage with 7.5Mbps down and .9Mbps up on Sunday 9/12/2010.
Really?

The gf lives right near there, ill have to start going to her house more often if 4g is there.

Upvote 0
To use the old saying. Well, its the Hamptons. Fios isn't out here yet though even though its the Hamptons.
I may be misleading myself and you. I hit the 4g button and it searches then stays on that means I have 4g coverage correct?

If you have 4g coverage it will say 4g on the top of the screen. The 3g icon gets replaced by the 4g icon.

Upvote 0
If you have 4g coverage it will say 4g on the top of the screen. The 3g icon gets replaced by the 4g icon.

I'll have to pay closer attention. Next time I hit the 4g radio button I'll see if the 3g is replaced by 4g.

If we do have it, I can only surmise its because Sprint's investors have houses out here or the ceo has a house out here, and it would be very embarrassing if he were talking about Sprints 4g coverage and went to demonstrate it, and it wasn't here. I'll have to see.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I just to Lakewood, CO (from Littleton...not too far away), and I just got over 9Mbps! Down in my room (in the basement), i only get about 1-2Mbps, but outside, the signal is great.

SOB, I am driving right past 6th and Wads today. I will have to turn on my 4G....

AH! I used to have network notification turned on my old evo but since getting it replaced I forgot to. No wonder why I haven't noticed anything.

Upvote 0
I too have found 4g in Columbus downtown -south side mainly- and around 270 and cleveland ave. I was upset that I live close and couldn't get it but had to remind myself that I have wifi at home and really don't need it. I wish it was at Easton because their wifi sucks and I could tether my laptop to my phone. However, I am using 3g right now with pdanet and my phone is fast enough for this website.

The sites I did go to were pretty quick, and youtube hd was much speedier than 3g. Even if it takes a few months to role it out fully, its nice to run into as I drive. I am going to leave it on to watch it grow.

I really thought I would be on my next phone before it showed up in Columbus, Oh.

Upvote 0
I'll have to pay closer attention. Next time I hit the 4g radio button I'll see if the 3g is replaced by 4g.

If we do have it, I can only surmise its because Sprint's investors have houses out here or the ceo has a house out here, and it would be very embarrassing if he were talking about Sprints 4g coverage and went to demonstrate it, and it wasn't here. I'll have to see.

My mistake, the radio button says it located it, by turning on, but the 3g doesn't get replaced by 4g but the radio button stays on. I really don't know.

Upvote 0
It is starting to show up in the Cleveland OH area, and in North Olmsted, west of downtown Cleveland. I am dying because the 4g signal goes back to 3g 2 miles from my house. I wish they would put it at the tower that is about half a mile from my house. I can actually see on my phone when I am driving my daughter to school, where I get handed off to the tower in North Olmsted and whala, 4g is available. So close yet so far. I hope the 4g does not stop in North Olmsted and gets just one more tower west!!!

Upvote 0
I've been having excellent signal so far. Been using the 4G, CDMA,GSM,& Wifi Map Viewer app and contributing to its servers. Pretty cool and accurate app.

This is the signals so far for NYC and Long Island.

click on image for bigger view

TS out

TS.. That is a MUST HAVE app for people in new 4g area's. I have been waiting for my area to turn green, and been enjoying watching other area's turn green as 4g spreads in the Cleveland area. I wish everyone would install this free app and contribute to the local coverage maps..

Upvote 0
Okay at first I thought 4g wasn't that much different, until I was sitting at my sons bus stop and noticed it show up as available. I went to youtube hd and played trailers and a few hd movies. When it started quickly, on a consistent basis I decided to do a speed test. Try 8meg download speeds. Upload was like .16, which would matter uploading a video you just took, but hey we are still in the testing mode.

The only thing is my phone was hot.

Upvote 0
Well when you zoom out, all of NYC is 4G'ed, lol but as you zoom in to a particular street, neighborhood etc one quickly sees what areas truly have 4G.
As for the legend, I've wondered about that myself. I was hoping to send a note to the developer to ask them whats it purpose since its doesn't change color or anything.

TS

Upvote 0
Well when you zoom out, all of NYC is 4G'ed, lol but as you zoom in to a particular street, neighborhood etc one quickly sees what areas truly have 4G.
As for the legend, I've wondered about that myself. I was hoping to send a note to the developer to ask them whats it purpose since its doesn't change color or anything.

TS

Thanks. So any idea what blue represents? A few blocks away from me in a couple directions the map is green, by me it's blue, and a few blocks in a different direction it's colorless.

Upvote 0
Well being that I live on the border line of a green and blue circle, I get excellent 4 g signal out in the patio, in the house I get good signal, when i drive down the street supposedly into the blue section my signal goes to fair. So its my understanding is that although the app says no 4G signal I do indeed get a 4g signal in the blue section. its not a strong signal but its a signal nonetheless.

Now I went to Southhampton out in the island labor day weekend and had no 4g signal whatsoever. I did get a faint signal near Babylon but it came and went rather quickly.

TS

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones