• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official android 2.2 (froyo) release for orange san francisco.

An official Froyo update would be awesome - I loaded a 2.2 ROM onto my San Fran, and it caused no end of screen freeze issues, so restored back to the Orange stock ROM.

One thing though - there's no "check for system software updates" option in the menus of my San Fran (like there is on other Orange Android handsets), so how do you presume you'd receive any update? Download a .zip on the PC and drop it onto the handset?

Upvote 0
That sounds good, as it would all be fully functional, have any available links for more information? :)

it requires a flashing method that changes the internal phone layout to what the devs call "Generation 2"
however one dev has made it work on Gen 1 devices

If Orange do release an update, I'd presume it'd be Gen 2

Upvote 0
Okay thanks for the information! At the moment do you think it is likely an update will become available? :)
I would not be surprised - the Blade is selling like hot cakes for Orange
If they are though they likely would drop some hints - which has yet to happen
And would it be worth waiting for the update.
I think you know my opinion on this :D

Reactions: Ilovetech
Upvote 0
man i want this so bad, mainly because i dont want to root it as i will loose myw arranty, and also i want to save the stupid apps to the god damn sd card. i have 8 gb sd card and there is nothing inside... this is stupid!

uhhhgg i realllly want to save apps to sd card. If i can save apps to my 8gb sd card then i can get LOOADDSS of apps!

Upvote 0
I installed the ZTE version of Froyo, which I found here

I also replaced the Boot Animation, so there is nothing left to show it is the Chinese ROM. The ROM is actually in English - only the logo on the original Boot Animation had any Chinese on it.

This is working very well - a lot more stable than the previous ROM I used (which was 2.1). I have the Froyo version of the Market of course and I can move Apps to my SD.

The only minor issue I have found - which seems to have started since I installed App2SD, not from the time I installed the ROM - is that some of the Widgets are not available to add to the Home screen. They seem to be still installed and I can add the Icon to the Home screen, but the Widget is not in the list. Some of the Widgets were already on the Home screen and these have disappeared, with no option to put them back.

This does not seem to be affected by whether the relevant app is on the Internal Memory or the SD.

Anyone else seen this please? Is there a fix?

Incidentally, my OSF is a Gen1. There is no sign of any remaining Orange branding. One minor issue is that I have lost the 'YourOrange' app which helped advise on the credit I have left (Orange PAYG), but this is trivial compared with the loss of the rest of the Orange bloatware and the use of a clean and stable 2.2 ROM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones