• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official android 2.2 (froyo) release for orange san francisco.

Hi - just picked up an Orange San Francisco and checked on the update to 2.2. The staff at the shop didn't seem to think there was going to be one anytime soon...

That said (and i'm new to this...steep learning curve I think), does it make a difference if you unlock your handset and use some other provider/carrier? That was going to be my plan seeing as I'm on PAYG and the data allowance is pretty low with Orange.

Is it easier to upgrade to 2.2 (or newer) and get rid of the 'bloatware' everyone's mentioned if the phone's unlocked?

Confused.

RB

Upvote 0
hi im a bit of a noob when it comes to this. can some one give me precise instructions on hiw ti get 2.2 on my gen 1

There is no official 2.2 update for the San Francisco.
There are several Gingerbread (2.3) ROMs, including ones based off ROMs for ZTE devices released elsewhere, and also CyanogenMod (2.3.7).
You need to update to Gen 2 however.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Use a TPT: forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1258855
That will wipe everything mind, make sure you have Google Sync enabled at the very least.

Then pick a ROM from here: android.modaco.com/forum/488-zte-blade-libra-roms-rom-customisation/

Ok how do i make sure google sync is enabled... and on that site which files do i pick its all so complicated to my mind lol...

Upvote 0
If you are signed to Google it is unless you disabled it. Settings>Accounts & Sync.

Regarding TPT, I'd go for the 160MB system for CyanogenMod, the larger one otherwise.

Hi, eventually did it after screwing my phone up haa..Put the first gen 2 on there and wiped phone and it wouldnt leave the blue screen.. so after 20 inutes of thinking how can i rectify this is downloaded and flashed this one....

CM Nightly 257 Version (Upgrades from Gen1 to Gen2 & installs latest CyanogenMod nightly build - all in one)
Download: cm7-n257-blade-gen1-to-gen2-tpt.zip mirror
Download size: 107.8 MB
MD5: 813ba810ca0a596da4eb6ea7e47205a1
SHA1: 11030dff7b48c79463185b25fc848d488fe77768
is that a good one????

Thanks for the help with all this.. My phone is so much better .

Upvote 0
Hi, eventually did it after screwing my phone up haa..Put the first gen 2 on there and wiped phone and it wouldnt leave the blue screen.. so after 20 inutes of thinking how can i rectify this is downloaded and flashed this one....

CM Nightly 257 Version (Upgrades from Gen1 to Gen2 & installs latest CyanogenMod nightly build - all in one)
Download: cm7-n257-blade-gen1-to-gen2-tpt.zip mirror
Download size: 107.8 MB
MD5: 813ba810ca0a596da4eb6ea7e47205a1
SHA1: 11030dff7b48c79463185b25fc848d488fe77768
is that a good one????

Thanks for the help with all this.. My phone is so much better .

That should be fine as far as I know :) It was fine for me :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones