• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OFFICIAL Android Feature Wishlist Thread

A countdown timer and stopwatch built in to the clock app!! Seriously!

Lots of manufacturers add this in but android itself doesn't seem to have it.

I just switched from htc sense to cyanogenmod a week ago and I'm missing these things so much. I used them all the time, watering the lawn, cooking, telling someone at work I'd go see them in 20 mins and on and on.

I downloaded an app to do this but its a pain to have to use a separate app when I used to be able to do it right where my alarms were. Also I think the app keeps the phone wake-locked.

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm new to android, but i use android 2.21 in my huawei phone c8500. But when i use wifi hotspot function, the receivers got wifi connection but no internet access inspite of opening data connection in my phone. Can anyone help me with this wireless sharing problem? Please
Hmm.....I'm a n00b myself but this sounds an awful lot like not having an even a marginal signal to me.....

Cheers :D

Pat

Upvote 0
A few more suggestions.....

* A shortcut to the MyApps folder on the Home Screen like a shortcut to the MY DOCUMENTS folder is on the desktop of most versions of Windows

* An app (Or upgrade to the OS) that places a shortcut to the app itself on the Home Screen

* A taskbar with a text dialog that (When highlighted) tells you what the app the icon in the taskbar points to (A lot, but not completely, like the Windows taskbar)

If any or all of these have already been suggested, then just ignore them :D

Cheers :)

Pat

Upvote 0
I always forget to turn off silent/vibrate mode after my meeting/movie is over and then miss calls.

It would be nice to be able to set it for an "hour" or two, etc. (for as long as you think your meeting/event may be).

And then automatically revert back to normal/loud "ring" mode without danger of forgetting.

It could even be set for exactly "8" hours, (for sleeping), and then revert back to ring at maybe 8am (or other selectable wake-up time) to again ring when a call comes in.

The advantage of that to regular "wake-up-alarm" is that IF there were/are no calls, you can continue to sleep-in. (and you could still set a later actual wake-up alarm if desired)

I mean, I don't want calls at 4am, but maybe if important enough at 7am or 8am etc. I do want to be awakened.

AND, if there had been any calls/text-messages/voicemail during your silent/vibrate time, there could be a separate distinctive ring/alarm to alert you that calls were missed while silent.

The best app for solving this little problem is SHUSH. It does exactly that and has a very nice interface also. I recommend you look at that before more complex approaches.:cool:

Upvote 0
Err.....Dontcha mean RECEIVER???

That said, why have that when there are many Internet Radio apps out there which can give you more?

Cheers :D

Hmm... I could see someone wanting an FM transmitter so they could pipe audio from the phone to the car stereo. There are transmitters that plug into the headphone jack, though, so I'm not sure I'd want one built into the phone.

Upvote 0
Javascript on demand (similar to Flash on demand in most browsers)... or per-site enabled Javascript would be even better.

Also any time the only thing on the screen is a text box and there is no hard keyboard, the software keyboard should automatically pop up without having to tap into the text box.

Upvote 0
Long time Android user here, and this the feature that I really want. I want a Android phone that works, right out of the box. Google/carriers/manufacturers are putting out unstable garbage just to try and keep up with the other guys. I love the advanced features of Android over the other guys but come on just get the basic OS right guys. It that too much to ask?

Upvote 0
I'd like three things:
1) The option to completely disable the lock screen. I have an app for that, but the OS will kill it occasionally, so the lock screen pops up randomly.
2) The ability to choose your launcher. Each version of Android should come with vanilla and give the OEMs the option to add their own custom launcher you can choose. Or choose a third party launcher (i.e. LauncherPro, Go, ADW)
3) The ability for the user to set apps as "do not kill". For example, the OS will kill Slacker after a while if I'm using Navigation in the foreground. I want both running simultaneously...kill something else.

Upvote 0
7.) Store Contacts on SD Card or SIM

+1. Same here.

I don't know what's the problem Google has with SIM storage. Since the beginning of time, mobile phones give you the option to store both your messages and your contacts to the SIM card, and to move them to/from the phone memory. It's an essential feature, IMHO. Not only for keeping my privacy, but mostly for keeping my contacts and my messages always with me, no matter of which phone I'm using: mine, my brother's, my girlfriend's, or my mother's. (Even very useful when flashing different ROMs, developing, etc.)

But now, with Gingerbread, the SIM is totally neglected (except, of course, exclusively for importing its contacts).

http://pablog.tunalkan.com/google-gets-greedy

Upvote 0
Greetings from Italy. I just bought an HTC Flyer and I love it to pieces... for everything except work.

Work for me means translating 120K character texts, and therefore lots and lots of writing and editing.

Naturally, if I have 3 guns at my head, I'll just sit at my desktop and hammer out the job, but generally speaking I have only one gun and so I'm used to working at the local caf​

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones