• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OFFICIAL Android Feature Wishlist Thread

Bloatware - not system apps.
Make google apps optional as well.
Package Ubuntu as a option on compatible phones.
Make rooting easier/officially supported by Google.
Google should have core level blocks against carrier removing features that should be there, such as wifi tethering.

Basically I would scrap android in favor of a real Linux distro.
Android has become broken beyond repair.

Reactions: maxkarlmiller
Upvote 0
There are three things that I want to see in my next Android version (should get Kitkat OTA in about 2 weeks).

1. Transparent Notification Bar - My last two phones had OLED screens, and this part burned in horribly on both. My current phone also has an OLED display, so this is needed before burn in sets in. Confirmed for Kitkat.
  2. Camera software improvements to reduce blur - The Galaxy S4 has an outstanding camera for a smartphone, but it's crippled on the Google Play Edition due to shoddy software. Here's hoping that they add in software image stabilization for devices that don't have hardware OIS. Vaguely mentioned in Kitkat.
  3. I want the separate media/navigation volume back from Eclair/Froyo. As it stands, when streaming the GPS/music over bluetooth, either the GPS is inaudible, or the music has to be cranked way up. Currently denied by Google.

Upvote 0
-Make all system apps update on Google Play/Android Market insed of on system updates I have android 4.0.4 on samsung galaxy tab 10.1 but thers some apps that's on the nexus (running 4.3) that I cant get but I'm sure they would work on my android version

-play store not saying: "not copatable with your device" (then not letting you download), they should say: "Not supported by you device, are you sure you want to install? Yes, No."

-letting everyone get the latest version with NO BLOATWARE!

Upvote 0
To be fair, Google do let everyone get the latest version - you need to address that comment to the manufacturers and networks. Android has to be built for the device, you can't make a generic build which can be loaded to all devices.

I'm as anti-bloat as anyone, but Kate got it right: it's the ability to remove stuff that counts. You may (or may not) consider Facebook, Twitter, Google Now, Google Play Music or whatever as useful, but they are top of my bloat list, so "no bloat" means different thing to different people.

Upvote 0
What I mean by bloatware is touchwiz, htc sence and defalt apps not by google.
As you said google does let everyone get the latest version but they should privide costom recovory and vanilla android as a ROM so everyone can get the latest version and not be tied down to old version by carriers, and to let everyone experience pure google.

Upvote 0
As you said google does let everyone get the latest version but they should privide costom recovory and vanilla android as a ROM so everyone can get the latest version and not be tied down to old version by carriers, and to let everyone experience pure google.

Google can't update everyone's rom even if they were plain Android.

The AOSP base is changed to support hardware besides the Nexus line.

If you want truly plain Android, get a Nexus.

Not everyone agrees with you that Touchwiz and Sense are bloatware.

Upvote 0

IMO it's Touchwiz that makes a phone identifiable and work as a Samsung, same with HTC's Sense, as opposed to whatever hundreds of other makes there might be. If you don't like Touchwiz or Sense, then don't buy a Samsung or HTC. Buy something else...buy a Nexus if you want pure Google. :thumbup:

Upvote 0
You said you would like to be able to disabe devalt apps, you can, in the latest android version.
You can, but not always. There are apps you can't disable. This is usually for a good reason, but I've read reports of some US carriers making carrier-added apps undisableable.

Upvote 0
To be fair, Google do let everyone get the latest version - you need to address that comment to the manufacturers and networks. Android has to be built for the device, you can't make a generic build which can be loaded to all devices.

I'm as anti-bloat as anyone, but Kate got it right: it's the ability to remove stuff that counts. You may (or may not) consider Facebook, Twitter, Google Now, Google Play Music or whatever as useful, but they are top of my bloat list, so "no bloat" means different thing to different people.

There should b nothing on the device except what is needed to find the apps one wants and ALL should be removable...It is the tech version of ObamaCare...'we do not care what you want as we know best'

Upvote 0
More open source, I know that android is the most open source mobie operating system, but they scould be supporting costom recovory officially, like minecraft they are developing a mod api, android scould do the same. It should have root in devolper options.

Note to carriers:
Please let people get the carrier apps from the android market insted of being pre-installed.

Upvote 0
Let you set if a app is allowed to run in the backrould ie. Relax and sleep 2 is running in the backrould even when not playing. (You should be able to set if its allowed to run in the background)

I know that you can set backrould prossesis limit In Developer options but u cant for peticular apps and prossess, only a number of background prossess allowed.

Upvote 0
I didn't mean that I didn't like touchwiz, I use and its nice. but you should be able to choose without having to get a expensive google play edition. IE: swich between stock and touchwiz in settings.

It's not just a launcher though, it's a different framework (lots of modifications). So that's more like dual booting than something you can just turn on and off in settings.

Upvote 0
I set up a tread about this and you took it away, wtf?

Nothing was taken away.

It duplicated the subject of a thread we already had, I merged it per our standard policy.

And posted and said so.

That's wtf.

If you would like to discuss it further, tap my name, drop me a line, my door is always open, but please don't pollute the thread further discussing the merge. .

Thanks! :)

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones