1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

OFFICIAL Android Feature Wishlist Thread

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by onthefence, Nov 13, 2008.

1. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    For Flash, use Dolphin browser, then -

https://dolphinbrowser.desk.com/customer/portal/topics/591820--android-flash-playing/articles

Advertisement

2. Darketernal

Darketernal New Member

Jul 22, 2014
    I tried this, and although i like the dolphin browser, video playback on Android remains poor. Cnn video s just stop after 5 seconds. This happens on my own Asus memo pad as well as my parents samsung tablet. Browsing some internet forums i hear tons of people complaining about poor video playback. So i am still going to put video codec and playback compatibility on everyone s wish list for Android.

3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    You have a network or device issue.

I just watched http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/offbeat/2014/07/28/pkg-moos-butt-kicking-on-camera.cnn.html

With zero problems on Dolphin on my M8.

Sorry that you're running in to that but it's not an Android problem per se, other than the silly decisions between Adobe and Google to drop Flash support.

4. Darketernal

Darketernal New Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Thank you for your kinds words, and technically you are correct. But its the user experience that matters when smootly running an OS. With tablets and smart phones people tend to expect good video and audio quality to be done for them, since its hard to configure stuff on these small keyboard devices, people want these kind of problems being solved for them so they can enjoy the useage of these devices, rather then being tormented by them. Yes, technically you are right, but morally i think the video and audio codec support should be there to run things smoothly in the first place. I'll try out installing flash once more, thanks again.:eek:

5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    I agree with you 100% - and I know that a lot of people are happy to have moved away from Flash.

It's old, it's bloated, and you can have security concerns.

However - a lot of the net still uses it and so who is left holding the bag until they all upgrade?

You and me my friend, you and me. :(

mikedt likes this.
  6. doodsme

doodsme Member

Jul 21, 2014
    @sfbloodbrother: Did you end up buying a Windows tablet? I'm actually developing a hands on tutorial on HTML and SQL. And I'm using an Android phone to develop these.

7. SwungSilver

SwungSilver Member

Aug 10, 2014
    You could just download puffin Browser but yeah i agree FLASH SUPPORT

8. AnonGuy

AnonGuy Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Mobile Sites shouldn't be using flash, and desktop sites aren't a problem because they aren't designed for mobile browsers anyways.

iOS and Windows Phone users get by just fine without Flash.

9. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Yeah.

And the next time you're trying to watch a YouTube that won't play on iOS and the Android app says not available for mobile, I'll be watching without trouble using a mobile browser with Flash and the UA set to desktop.

Practice > theory

Every. Time.

10. jdproducer

jdproducer New Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I seriously hope the folks who develop Android software are reading these posts. As a computer user since 1986(DOS UNIX MAC Widows etc), I have to say I am frustrated by the latest iteration of Andriod OS. The fact that the OS discourages use of external media (SD cards) is bothersome to me. The ability to easily transfer data is why I got the phone in the first place because my mac os was too old to run an iphone. I simply mounted the droid on my mac or windows desktop and transfered files. No such luck with Kit KAT, they stupidly took away mass storage as an option and PLEASE don't talk to me about "security" as reason for this. I have yet to hear one valid reason other than Google wants control of our files. I don't want to start hacking into the HTC One that I currently own because I have a life. I simply want those who produce the software to do their jobs.

11. appcoder

appcoder New Member

Sep 10, 2014
    I totally agree with you. I don't have much music and photos on my phone. Now I can't install apps on the SD cards, making the internal memory quite occupied but the SD card completely unloaded.

12. avigor

avigor New Member

Sep 7, 2014
    Dvorak in the LG keyboard. Took me forever to figure out how to switch to the google keyboard for that.

13. CaptainStarbuck

Oct 27, 2014
    My wishlist item is fine control over exactly what apps can do, and more information about what they are doing.

We give apps all permissions to do anything, just because we want some specific functionality, and then we're surprised later that our privacy and bandwidth have been abused. It's too common a scenario and it's been going on for too long. We need more control over our data and how other people choose to use our devices through apps.

Having said that, I actually Don't give permission to apps that ask for new permissions, so I'm running very old versions of most apps that have hopped on the "ask for the world" bandwagon - and I love apps that don't ask permission beyond what they actually need. But most of my friends just auto-update or Accept anything that's asked, and then (as the local geek) I get to hear about how everything on their phones is suddenly out of control with privacy issues, bandwidth, etc.

I went on a rant of sorts about this in another thread here.

14. RoderickRead

RoderickRead New Member

Nov 20, 2014
    I wish there was a way to set up interaction over a 2d array of tablet screens... Eg swipe a screen sideways and it moves on to the tablet screen to that side.
    Cheap tablets make large arrays seem so accessible yet I haven't seen anyone surrounding themselves with interacting tablet screen arrays yet.
    Thanks

15. Hamza Ali

Hamza Ali Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Male
    Good info :) Thanks

16. 484sddf

484sddf New Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Female
    1. Google Chrome browserTether
    2. Video camera (more of a G1 wishlist item) and good video playback utility
    3. Google Bookmarks (love this feature on my PCs), Google News, and Google Docs
    4. Tether
    5. Store Apps to the MicroSD memory etui galaxy tab 4 housse galaxy tab 4

#466 484sddf, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  17. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    My wish is for all Google branded apps to be left off the phone, along with all of the other bloatware.

18. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Flash an aosp based rom without the gapps then (or even with a "pico" gapps package) .
    Android will run perfectly well without the "bloat" :thumbsupdroid:

19. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Since some can preview posts on computer browsers, give us a button to report spammers without having to open the junk to do so.

20. codyedmonson

codyedmonson Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Male
    Senior In highschool
    Texas
    My wish for android is to have some sort of instant messaging that is integrated seemlesly into the stock MMS app, kind of like ios, it would be so much better than having 3rd party apps such as Kik or WhatsApp.

21. funkylogik

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    I can't see that happening because don't ios have some kind of exclusive deal with the carriers? (I could be wrong)
    Would be nice though :thumbsupdroid:

22. codyedmonson

codyedmonson Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Male
    Senior In highschool
    Texas
    Honestly I have no idea, its worth a look though. It could possibly be that but what's stopping google from making the same type of deal? Food for thought I guess lol

funkylogik likes this.
  23. funkylogik

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
  24. Darketernal

Darketernal New Member

Jul 22, 2014
    I am still waiting for an Android update that will keep video's playing while browsing other websites >_< why is it taking so long?

25. hackingsomething

hackingsomething Active Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Male
    Fast forward and rewind on the video player for Samsung devices when you make it play in the background. Bring back adobe flash development. Add video calling directly into you phones dialer.