• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OFFICIAL Android Feature Wishlist Thread

thanks for coming, and enjoy your stay
"Here is what I posted on another thread, most if not all is covered somewhere along the line already

But I would also like to add something around Bookmark syncing. Opera and Opera mobile/mini can sync and utilise each others bookmarks via the opera website, I would like to see something similar between Android and The Chrome Browser or even Firefox if at all possible"
Use the delicous bookmarks extension for Firefox tag all of your favorite sites (i.e. I have "finance" for my banking, and 401k and "school" for my college's website and APA guidelines etc.)
Then download beelicious from the market on your phone, it puts all of your saved tags then you click on it and it shows you all of the saved sites for that tag. I love delicious, if someone tells me about a website at work, I save it then I can view it at home or on my phone.

I wish I could have background stationery for my phone's e-mail, I tried searching it, but I guess there's no apps for that... yet...I guess I am just a girly girl who likes everything fancy and decorated LOL.

Reactions: HWeStore
Upvote 0
I have a feature I would love to see - SOLAR CELLS!!!

Stick some solar cells along the periphery of the screen to supply the battery with supplemental power while the phone is in operation. this should extend the life of the battery considerably. The technology exists for embedding miniature cells in devices. For example, Citizen uses it in most of their watch line today (that's what eco-drive is).

With all the demands put on smart phone batteries, I'm surprised that such a supplemental power system has not been tried. As I see it, this would be especially beneficial on Tablets.

Upvote 0
how about the ability to change the source of contacts and appts.

And opt-out of having contacts synched to Buzz, etc. Leave my contacts alone Google!!!

The ability to sort contacts by last name? Seems so basic, and I'm tired of hearing people tell me to search when it's only the advent of google contacts and the dumbing down of PIM's to work with google that caused this non last name trend.

It's in all the basics where Android drops the ball. Sure, the sky map is cool but I need the darn calendar, phone, timer, and alarm clock to be reliable workhorses not inflexible and not fully thought out as they are now.

True silent or vibration mode. The separation of different types of sounds (system, media and so on) is just dumb when the phone should be in silent or vibe mode. Or you should at least have the ability to customize the various profiles to include or exclude certain sounds, functions or what not.

Yes!!! A single place to put the entire phone into silent mode. This is a cell phone first principle. In a meeting, concert, etc, I want to ensure the phone won't embarrass me but still want a discreet vibration to know a call came in.

I do love all the new functionality, the GPS, etc, but the day-to-day bread-and-butter activities of using the calendar and phone are driving me nuts and making me want my Nokia back.

The single worse thing that happens on a regular basis is that the "current call" screen will disappear with no way to get it back even though I'm still on the call. Switching to the dialer brings up the app just as if there is no call going on. The only place I can hang up from is the current call screen so there is now no way for me to hang up. The only way I've figured out how to get the current call screen back is to make a second call, hang up as soon as the call screen reappears and then hang up the first call. Sheesh!!!

There are many other irritations and time wasters such as navigating to a contact, saving a contact w/o having to dial it, not having a decent repeating alarm sound for notifications, having the "back" button not exit from the calendar, poorly designed control over audio notifications and volume, and many more.

It's still early days for Droid so I haven't given up on it but these things need to work much more usefully.

Upvote 0
Awesome, this forum rocks :)

One crucial feature that ought to be considered in the next version is to include an option for the user to be able to change the MTU size for the wifi access. Those of us who use broadband based on PPoE, usually have the MTU set to 1492. Since Android is defaulting to (I presume) 1500, many of the websites are inaccessible over wifi...

Upvote 0
1. Music app option "Shuffle Playlist" when looking at a playlist. Shuffle artist or album too.
2. Wired mic earbud music/phone control.
3. Integrated music/podcast (audio & video)/streaming player.
4. Ability to choose ringtones, notifications, and alarms from different folders.
5. Ability to choose separate notification tones (startup, shutdown, etc).
6. Unified inbox with designation for which inbox you're viewing.
7. Add contact from a location in Google web search or map.
8. "Business" designation for contacts and phone type (I don't work everywhere).
9. Save map sections for offline access (such as hiking with a GPS).

Upvote 0
Here is what I posted on another thread, most if not all is covered somewhere along the line already

But I would also like to add something around Bookmark syncing. Opera and Opera mobile/mini can sync and utilise each others bookmarks via the opera website, I would like to see something similar between Android and The Chrome Browser or even Firefox if at all possible.

I used MyBookmarks from the market, it added my bookmarks from chrome, and firefox (after exporting to my pc) to both the android browser and to dolphin browser on my htc EVO. worked very easily, and I wish I hadn't added both, because I originally added a folder in chrome with all my FF BM's, so I had a bunch of duplicates. small problem tho, app is good... has an addon for saving your bookmarks to SD also.

Upvote 0
First off, I'm a Newbie, SO, if this capability exists you won't insult me by providing information. BUT, I can't find it if it's there. With my iPhone, I could delete multiple emails by tagging them and then issuing a single delete command. I can't seem to find this in Android. HELP!!

KC

K-9 mail (free in the market, or cheap) allows selecting multiple emails for deletion. It's a terrific application.

Upvote 0
Android needs support for DRM media files. I can borrow Adobe ePub books from my public library, as well as Overdrive WMA audiobooks, and Overdrive music and video files, but I can't use them on my Droid because these are all DRM protected.

Fbreader reads ePub books (yes, I've found ineptepub to crack the DRM), but I'd rather be legal. There's an Overdrive app for Android, but it is limited to Overdrive MP3 audiobooks, and nothing else. My library has 1898 protected WMA audiobooks and only 198 unprotected MP3 audiobooks--so Android shuts me out of using most of the audiobooks.

Upvote 0
Some of these may have been mentioned already but here is my list of suggestions for the Google Maps App on Android:

1) When accessed from the Maps application, the search function should always be map-centric. Sometimes when I do a search and find what I am looking for I select it and it sends me to the browser rather than to the map application so I can use the location as the destination within the Navigation feature. This shortcoming results in a lot of fumbling to get a destination into the map program and this is the last thing you want to do while driving a car so you end up trying to do it at a stoplight or after pulling over.

2) Most good GPS units have a good way of storing and retrieving favorite map points so they can be easily searched/accessed within the navigation feature. To my knowledge, the google maps application does not do this. I did find a way to store an address in a folder but this is rather cumbersome and this feature should be readily accessible within the mapping application. Saved map points should be easy to back up externally or send to others. An option to import would be nice too. When you get a lot of saved points, the ability to group them into folders/categories becomes crucial.

3) Along the same lines as the previous comment, most GPS programs store a history of recently accessed map points. Google Maps should have this feature as well.

4) The web-based version of Google maps has a nice feature that lets you modify the originally selectd route to your liking by dragging a portion of a route to go through a given location (i.e., via points). When you email or send a link of the revised route to someone (or yourself) and access it from the web applicaiton, the revised route is saved. However, if you access this link from the phone and select the maps application, it reverts back to the default route without the selected via points. This is very annoying because you spend some time to get your route just right and all that effort is for nothing when you go to use it with your phone app.

5) Option to have more data on the nav screen as others have suggested including current speed, distance to destination, bearing to destination, tracks, etc. Some may not want some of these so they should be individually selectable via checkboxes on a preferences/setup screen.

Upvote 0
This may be on the 2.1 os (which is being installed (cellular south is doing it) but my biggest criticism of my phone is that there is no task app inherent to the phone and you can get good task programs and even found astrid that would integrate with the calendar but it is strange how it does it. With my blackberry, I could put a task in my task program and it would automaticallly integrate to my calendar. Integrated note program would be great too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones