• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OFFICIAL Android Feature Wishlist Thread

is there a way to edit word documents and excel documents ? An app?

Also, is there a way to see and disable running programs not necessary AND to free memory for maximum performaNCE? i USE IT ALOT FOR STREAMING VIDEO AND SKYPE (until Skype drops it's support for Droid like it did Windows Mobile!) oops caps

good night :)!
I have not seen an app that can do it, but google docs will and you can add that as a link to your desktop.

You can do the same with google calendar's to-do function.

Still the solution is not perfect as they both remain web based.

Reactions: HWeStore
Upvote 0
Just one for now: ability to assign different tones to notifications, i.e. SMS, Email, etc. Basically, the way you assign a ring-tone to a specific contact now. A standard notifications sound for all incoming types of data is weak. Should be able to tailor specific sounds to each type of notification. Heck, they can add it to the contacts (edit) even to allow the specific sound from say an email/SMS from a specific person the same way as the ringtones.

Upvote 0
First post and it's a rant I'm afraid. Had a Desire but returned it due to the the absence of the following items - all of which are basic features that we've enjoyed for years on dumb phones. Now returning my iP4 due to it's inherent crapness as a phone, which leaves me in a bit of a pickle...

THE BASIC STUFF

1. A battery that lasts from when I get up to when I go to bed
The iPhone manages it so why the f*&( can't Android handsets do the same? And please, don't give me the BS about "... my Desire running for 36hrs so far and it's still on 40%...". Yeah, maybe if you don't actually use the damn thing. My iP3G with WiFi and bluetooth running all day, 1-2hrs of calls and 5 mail accts on IMAP, plus shed loads of data used to go the distance, as does my soon to be returned iP4. Am I missing something here?

2. A decent screen
AMOLED = great indoors, crap everywhere else. SAMOLED = rocking horse poo (Samsung, you tight bast@

Upvote 0
is there a way to edit word documents and excel documents ? An app?

Also, is there a way to see and disable running programs not necessary AND to free memory for maximum performaNCE? i USE IT ALOT FOR STREAMING VIDEO AND SKYPE (until Skype drops it's support for Droid like it did Windows Mobile!) oops caps

good night :)!

I have not seen an app that can do it, but google docs will and you can add that as a link to your desktop.

You can do the same with google calendar's to-do function.

Still the solution is not perfect as they both remain web based.

Doesn't DocumentstoGo edit? Granted, it's $15 but if you really need it it's worth it. I know my wife has it for her iphone and it works great. I have seen it in the market but have not messed with it.

Just a thought.

Upvote 0
Although verizon navigator was a complete waste of money....When I had my Storm2 I at least had the comfort of knowing the navigator would continue running and not get me lost while the phone was doing other things.
It would be nice if the navigator would continue running if the back button or other key is accidentally bumped.
An audible warning is necessary when leaving a signal area and using navigation in an unfamiliar area.
When your screen has gone dark and you are driving along, waiting for a voice to tell you when to turn... you can become quite lost before you realize your signal is gone.

I do have a suggestion for an app though.
I've seen apps that supposedly detect traffic cams, why no radar detector?

Upvote 0
The only thing I hate about an android set is non smooth scrolling. whether it is in contacts, music playlist or web browser (in this case most visible). I wish it to be removed and then I may enjoy a smooth scroll like an iPhone.:D

(I have a brand new Samsung Galaxy S with absolutely nothing in it, no apps, no songs, no videos, but still it seems slow).:thinking:

Upvote 0
The only thing I hate about an android set is non smooth scrolling. whether it is in contacts, music playlist or web browser (in this case most visible). I wish it to be removed and then I may enjoy a smooth scroll like an iPhone.:D
HTML:
(I have a brand new Samsung Galaxy S with absolutely nothing in it, no apps, no songs, no videos, but still it seems slow).:thinking:
?

I have the samsung galaxy s vibrant with about 50 apps on it and its out performing my girls iphone 4 that only had like 4 apps and my scrolling is super smooth phone works super fast and is going to be even faster when get froyo next month...maybe yous is defective?

Upvote 0
I'm afraid the majority of us wouldn't buy it so companies won't sell it

They've had the same problems with macbooks. I could never figure out why they didn't just release a version without a camera. It doesn't seem all that hard, and there's got to be SOME demand for them. Even if you have to special-order it through the company or something.

Upvote 0
They've had the same problems with macbooks. I could never figure out why they didn't just release a version without a camera. It doesn't seem all that hard, and there's got to be SOME demand for them. Even if you have to special-order it through the company or something.

Yeah I agree about making it a special order item. There is a small market for it.

Upvote 0
Have buttons "Home", "Menu", "Back" and "Search" in the same order on all phones!!!

I have 2 phones from the same manufacturer (HTC) - Droid Incredible and Nexus One. Released about at the same time (I think) and the order of buttons is different. Switching from one phone to another gives me a headache.

I compared order to a couple coworker's phones (Samsung, Motorola), and the order is different too.

Upvote 0
Agree also here, though isn't there a way to get the camera deactivated?

That makes it tougher to explain to security when you're entering a secure area. You'd have to go through a whole explanation process and show them it doesn't work, and even still they might not allow it, depending on how secure the area is.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones