• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official AT&T Q&A Thread

I'm pretty sure it used to be $75 and now it's $200. It was in the tech news headlines a while ago. They even jacked up the retail prices of some cheaper phones because the early upgrade price ended up being more than retail price.

Hold on, I just checked the website. It looks like an early upgrade for the iPhone is only $279. But the Atrix just says $499. Should I call and see whether they'll give me an Atrix for $279?

Upvote 0
Hey Marc (or others in the know), I have seen several different posts around this, but didn't see my question answered clearly.

I just upgraded from an ancient Blackberry Curve to the Inspire 4G (which utterly rocks!). I had unlimited data plan on my BB, and when they switched me they put me on the 2GB plan :mad: I went back to the store and worked with a guy who eventually did get me back on my unlimited plan :)

However, he said that when 4G is rolled out in a few months that if I stay on the unlimited data plan that I won't get the faster speeds unless I switch to one of their standard plans. It sounded fishy to me, because as I understand it the Inspire won't support LTE anyway. So is there some update coming that will make HSDPA+ even faster that I could miss out on?

Upvote 0
Hey Marc (or others in the know), I have seen several different posts around this, but didn't see my question answered clearly.

I just upgraded from an ancient Blackberry Curve to the Inspire 4G (which utterly rocks!). I had unlimited data plan on my BB, and when they switched me they put me on the 2GB plan :mad: I went back to the store and worked with a guy who eventually did get me back on my unlimited plan :)

However, he said that when 4G is rolled out in a few months that if I stay on the unlimited data plan that I won't get the faster speeds unless I switch to one of their standard plans. It sounded fishy to me, because as I understand it the Inspire won't support LTE anyway. So is there some update coming that will make HSDPA+ even faster that I could miss out on?

sorry for the late reply,

that guy is full of it haha

as long as you are on any 4g plan, you will get the 4g speeds when ever backhaul is increased

Reactions: iron mongoose
Upvote 0
I just did an early upgrade and all I paid was $75.00 for the htc inspire, I could have gotten the Atrix, but I wanted the bigger screen. Anyway, my upgrade was not to happen until 7-11-11, but I called ATT, AND ASKED FOR EARLY CANCELLLATION, right away they got me to someone to help me out with my cancellation, as you can see, I did not cancel, but got my wish phone for just $75.00...by the way the salesperson did offer me the Atrix for 150.00

Try this, might work...
I'm pretty sure it used to be $75 and now it's $200. It was in the tech news headlines a while ago. They even jacked up the retail prices of some cheaper phones because the early upgrade price ended up being more than retail price.

Hold on, I just checked the website. It looks like an early upgrade for the iPhone is only $279. But the Atrix just says $499. Should I call and see whether they'll give me an Atrix for $279?

Upvote 0
What is the difference between the 2GB date plan for $25 a month, and the 2GB HSPA+/4G data plan for $25 a month?

From what I can tell is the HSPA+/ 4G charges $15 for ever 200mb over, and the older plan charges $10 for every 1GB over.

looks to me like the olderplan would be better. Is the new plan require for Inspire,Infuse, or Atrix?

Also, I am coming from a Captivate with the 3G labeled sim card, I have been told by some ATT reps that a new sim will be required for for Inspire,Infure,Atrix. Other have stated that my current card will be fine, and still allow me to get the HSPA+ speed.

Upvote 0
I just did an early upgrade and all I paid was $75.00 for the htc inspire, I could have gotten the Atrix, but I wanted the bigger screen. Anyway, my upgrade was not to happen until 7-11-11, but I called ATT, AND ASKED FOR EARLY CANCELLLATION, right away they got me to someone to help me out with my cancellation, as you can see, I did not cancel, but got my wish phone for just $75.00...by the way the salesperson did offer me the Atrix for 150.00

Try this, might work...

I have an idea. I was using an iPhone 3g, but it broke, so now I'm using an Impression until my contract is up. My mom hasn't canceled the iPhone data plan yet. If she calls to try to cancel it, will they try to convince her to upgrade my line instead?

Upvote 0
If I order a phone from an online store(Amazon, Costco, etc.) will they activate it before shipping?
If so, will my current phone become unusable before the new one arrives?

I got my Captivate from Sam's. They added the IMEI # of the phone to my existing AT&T account (and, of course, slapped me with a 2 year contract). So when I stuck my SIM in the phone it worked immediately. Can't speak for Amazon, but I'm sure the kiosk in Costco works like the one in Sam's.

The phone is at Samsung (hopefully) getting the GPS repaired, so I took the SIM out and stuck it in my old Motorola K1. It works as if it was never stuck in a drawer for 8 months.

Upvote 0
If I order a phone from an online store(Amazon, Costco, etc.) will they activate it before shipping?
If so, will my current phone become unusable before the new one arrives?

Amazon Wireless is basically the same. When they contact AT&T of your purchase and plan options, AT&T will assign a number that the new phone will have

Upvote 0
After seeing these LTE speeds on Verizon, I feel like a genius for not settling with an HSPA+ device (despite how amazing the Inspire looks. Fact it, all current AT&T devices will be outdated within a few months).

My question is, WHEN IS LTE COMING?

Hey HustlinDaily. im aboug to hustle on the sw frwy to the Galleria myself for the day. Then it the weekend!

ATT's working on LTE too which means when done, its phones will outdate others. Just a merry go round with these phone companies. Check out Click2Hou web site. A current article about are we "really" getting what they say we are (cellular)

Upvote 0
Marc -- I've been an unlimited data customer with AT&T for 3-4 years using a BB with the enterprise plan (I was linked up to my work account). I just purchased the Samsung Nexus S this past week and am using my current SIM card. I've had no problems with my service. My question is: Do I need to notify AT&T about this switch? My only concern is AT&T doesn't offer/support the Nexus S and I'm wondering if I notify them about my change to an unsupported device, whether I will still be able to be grandfathered in. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I also PM'd you this question. Thought I'd post it to this thread as I'm anxious to get a quick response. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Marc -- I've been an unlimited data customer with AT&T for 3-4 years using a BB with the enterprise plan (I was linked up to my work account). I just purchased the Samsung Nexus S this past week and am using my current SIM card. I've had no problems with my service. My question is: Do I need to notify AT&T about this switch? My only concern is AT&T doesn't offer/support the Nexus S and I'm wondering if I notify them about my change to an unsupported device, whether I will still be able to be grandfathered in. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I also PM'd you this question. Thought I'd post it to this thread as I'm anxious to get a quick response. Thanks.

Not sure if my plan is similar to your enterprise plan. I hwve the grandfathered unlimited plan since 2007. Recently got the Dell Streak from dell.com and called att to have my imei updated so my sim and number as well as unlimited call and unlimitd data transferred to the streak from my old htc tilt2 (which is now a backup phone)..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones