• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Bionic Release Date Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with the Bionic being pushed back, is it even worth it anymore?

I just chanced my ROM on my OG Droid, and it has been much more stable, and got me thinking, "Is the bionic worth it or should I wait for the best thing?"

I know that if you think that, you will always be waiting, but with phones like the Nexus Prime coming out a month or two after the Bionic, would it be worth waiting for?

Just my thoughts, I havent done much research on the Nexus prime, but right now it was caught my attention and I think I am looking forward to it more than the bionic now... Especially with Ice cream sandwich.

Thoughts?

First of all no date has been anounced by Verizon! It has not been pushed back. I work for Verizon, and when we get accessories then we know that its no its way. Why do people get worked up. And get pissed at Verizon or the phone manufacturers when the info is all rumors?

Upvote 0
First of all no date has been anounced by Verizon! It has not been pushed back. I work for Verizon, and when we get accessories then we know that its no its way. Why do people get worked up. And get pissed at Verizon or the phone manufacturers when the info is all rumors?

The phone was pretty much supposed to be released a year ago...

Upvote 0
Well, I just posted a similar answer in another thread, but it's worth reiterating. I know there are a lot of people out there like me who are nursing their OG Droids. We can't afford to hold out much longer. I believe the reason we waited this long is because we want a dual core 4G phone. The first one to drop looks to be the Bionic. I can't wait for the Function, which may not have LTE, or the Nexus Prime, which may not even be on Verizon.

And after all this time, Motorola has to have gotten it right. Right?

How do you know the SGS2 won't drop first?

Upvote 0

The fact that no date has been announced formally by Verizon is pretty much the icing on the cake. You (Motorola/VZW) tease of a phone at CES in JANUARY for spring and don't deliver. No word from VZW or Motorola other than rumors of a delay. Then more rumors of more delays. Then its coming in "summer". Then more rumors of delays. Still nothing formal from Moto or VZW on a launch date. Its down right maddening, especially for those nursing D1s which VZW sold us just over a year ago that are dying and in need of replacement. And all of us, thinking the Bionic was going to drop in May/June and then being strung along *is* reason to be upset. The phone we were teased with in January is the phone we wanted. Now we could start a class action lawsuit against VZW and Motorola for selling the D1 with cheap hardware (the digitizer in my case) that break just after the year warranty is up, but we just want to BUY another good device. If the Bionic is really a Bugonic, tell us its a POS we'll move on.

Upvote 0
The fact that no date has been announced formally by Verizon is pretty much the icing on the cake. You (Motorola/VZW) tease of a phone at CES in JANUARY for spring and don't deliver. No word from VZW or Motorola other than rumors of a delay. Then more rumors of more delays. Then its coming in "summer". Then more rumors of delays. Still nothing formal from Moto or VZW on a launch date. Its down right maddening, especially for those nursing D1s which VZW sold us just over a year ago that are dying and in need of replacement. And all of us, thinking the Bionic was going to drop in May/June and then being strung along *is* reason to be upset. The phone we were teased with in January is the phone we wanted. Now we could start a class action lawsuit against VZW and Motorola for selling the D1 with cheap hardware (the digitizer in my case) that break just after the year warranty is up, but we just want to BUY another good device. If the Bionic is really a Bugonic, tell us its a POS we'll move on.
Your post pretty much spells out why Verizon hasn't in the past, and won't in the future make a formal announcement for a phones release until a few weeks before the actual release date. I mean, you say it in your post..... rumors of delays..... nothing formal from VZW or Moto. When the rumors turn out to be unfounded, you're mad at Verizon..... NOT the blogs and rumor mills that actually posted the rumor! And who was it that told you the Bionic was going to "drop" in May or June? Was it Verizon? I don't think so. So just who was it that "strung you along"? I'll bet you it was one of the tech phone websites.... but still... you're mad a Verizon when it didn't happen.....

On the other side of the coin, if Verizon did post a tentative release date for a phone and then 3 weeks before the date came out and said due to a parts shortage in China the phone would be delayed 3-5 weeks, people would be all over these forums posting that the largest wireless company is a liar, they don't care about their customers, they are just "Stringing us along", etc. So you see they can't win, so they choose not to say anything at all.

If I posted in a blog that on August 10th, Verizon was having a 1-day sale where all their phones would be sold for 1 cent, and you went into the store on August 10th and found out all their phones were normal price, would you be mad at Verizon? Or.... ME????

I know your last sentance "If the Bionic is really a Bugonic, tell us its a POS we'll move on" was just being sarcastic, because you don't really expect Verizon to formally announce that the Bionic will be a POS.

So I guess my point is lay the blame where the blame belongs.

(Now back to your regularly scheduled programming)

Newsman speaks while showing a burning object in an Iowa cornfield, "Alien spacecraft have landed in this small cornfield near Alton, Iowa Aaarrrrrrrgghhhh" (Microphone goes silent)

Upvote 0
And who was it that told you the Bionic was going to "drop" in May or June? Was it Verizon? I don't think so. So just who was it that "strung you along"? I'll bet you it was one of the tech phone websites.... but still... you're mad a Verizon when it didn't happen.....

At CES, in January, the Bionic was "announced" for a Q2 release. So yes, there was an announcement of a release.

Please don't preach to me if you really haven't been following the Bionic from the beginning.

Upvote 0

Again you are listening to rumors. They completely scraped the original bionic, and I have to send back 150 cases that dont fit the new one, and the new one will not be buggy at all. Why do you think that they started over from scratch? It Is on it's way, people need to chill out, and not get mad if it come out on a date that is posted on line.

Upvote 0
When the rumors turn out to be unfounded, you're mad at Verizon..... NOT the blogs and rumor mills that actually posted the rumor! And who was it that told you the Bionic was going to "drop" in May or June?

Release Dates

Verizon's so-called "roadmap" back in March pointed to a MAY release.

Verizon and Moto are just as guilty, if not MORE SO, of all this crap. I think we're doing quite a fine job of laying blame where it belongs.

Reactions: Rhystatic
Upvote 0
Same name different phone. That phone has scrapped along with the release date, and no new date has been anounced.

Note that the arrogance of Moto never actually permitted them to admit they had scrapped the phone.

DROID Bionic Undergoing Enhancements Including “Improved Form Factor” Android Phones, Android Tablets, News, Tech, Gadgets And More, Thedroidguy

Calling it "enhancements" and later putting it up a live signup page that says "THIS SUMMER" and then not releasing it until after the NFL season starts. . . that's lying.

Look, we're not being negative for negativity's sake. I actually still really like my D1. That tells me that Moto is a good company making quality stuff, for the most part.

But this past year they have been awful in their PR moves and in simply getting a phone out with 4G. And why? Because they wanted to make their own stupid chip that they could then license to everyone else and make a ton of money. They don't care about the ones who want to buy their 1st gen 4G phone. And that's okay. There is a lot of money involved. But don't condemn us for calling them out on their bull%$&*.

It's our money.

Upvote 0
First off the wait does mega suck I know how you all feel. I am still using my horrible LG Dare. I been waiting for this phone since all of you guys. I had an upgrade back in Aug 2010 and still waiting.
First lets give moto crap for all they wanted to do and trying to make more money by making there own LTE chip. That just delayed the release (other reason we might never know) and now other great phones will be release around the same time. So now we feel like we been ****ed around my Moto. So giving them crap is totally legit.

Now you have to give them some credit to on the other hand. They did not try to rush this phone out like HTC did with the thunderbolt and other LTE phones. They took there time (even those a little to long then we like) and made sure the phone was perfect. They redid the whole phone since there were problems with it. They fixed all the problems and even made the phone better adding an extra 512mb of ram. They have tested the phone a number of time to make sure all bugs are fixed. Also they are the ONLY company who was willing to add a dual core processor on LTE. LTE is a new technology so manufactures are learning it as they go. So no one other then Moto wanted to put a 2011 phone on it. Manufactures just wanted a phone on LTE and be done with it till next year or later in the year. Also Moto is trying to give us better battery life on LTE as we all know all the phone suck in that aspect. So they are do all they can to make sure the phone is perfect. I think we all need to chill out and just be patent. This phone will be good if the droid 3 is any indication. Droid 3 I will say is the BEST keyboard phone out right now.

Finally why is everyone already saying the Samsung Galaxy SII I will get over Moto. First no word has been said about a release date on the verizon version or even passed the FCC. Second we do not know what phone is better since both of them are not on verizon. We are only speculating at this point and just getting angry over Moto so we are all saying we are getting the SGII. Great things take time to build and will do not happen overnight. So just be patient and wait. Also the Nexus line of phone have never come to verizon so who is to say that the prime will be on verizon? Your all just going to be playing the same game that you did with Moto, but never know if it will hit verizon or not. I say just wait till it comes out and try it out. If you like it buy it and if not do not. The long you wait for the next best rumored thing the longer you will wait!

Reactions: fyrmd and jroc
Upvote 0
With the Bionic pushed to September, I think I'm going to stick with my broken enV Touch and wait for the Prime, so long as it comes to Verizon LTE.

That is almost the same amount of crazy anticipation/devotion that I showed when I held onto my broken enV (original) until the D1 came out. Kudos to you! Good luck waiting!

Upvote 0
...putting it up a live signup page that says "THIS SUMMER" and then not releasing it until after the NFL season starts. . . that's lying...

The only claims from Verizon and Motorola right now are "summer" and "September". Since summer (in Verizon's service area) runs from June 20, 7:09 P.M. EDT to September 22, 10:49 A.M. EDT (according to almanac.com), that leaves a period of 21 days, 10 hours and 49 minutes during which they could release the phone and both claims would hold true.

I have no idea what the NFL schedule has to do with this, but since you bring it up, according to the NFL web site, the 2011 season begins Sep 8, with the first game scheduled for 8:30 P.M. EDT. Claiming that a post NFL-season-start release contradicts the official claims... that's...

Reactions: jroc and BlueBiker
Upvote 0
Because they wanted to make their own stupid chip that they could then license to everyone else and make a ton of money.
Yeah, how dare they try to be innovative and contribute new technology to the industry! :p

Also never mind that their LTE chip might be an improvment over whats out now...I hope so after all this...lol

Yea folks are frustrated. But try to look at it thru Moto's eyes for a minute. If they lost anyone as a customer for an upcoming phone, thats a gamble they had to know existed and seems like one they were willing to take.

Taking that gamble for the long term to me seems a better choice than going the HTC route with the Thunderbolt. The Charge and Revolution doesnt seem to have any issues like the Thunderbolt. They also arent dual core, LTE phones either.

Moto switched from Tegra 2 back to OMAP for a reason for the Droid 3 and Bionic. I assume part of that reason was for a better phone overall. Them delaying the Xoom LTE upgrade while they made their own chip, another gamble I assume they felt was better in the long term.

At this point, when its released and it doesnt walk on water folks are gonna rip it apart anyway.... There will be Moto fans that will give it a hard look or get it just because its made by Moto. There are some that dont even know this phone is coming out. Just be happy with whatever phone you wanna get or the phone you do get.

Reactions: tehsusenoh
Upvote 0
Also never mind that their LTE chip might be an improvment over whats out now...I hope so after all this...lol

Yea folks are frustrated. But try to look at it thru Moto's eyes for a minute. If they lost anyone as a customer for an upcoming phone, thats a gamble they had to know existed and seems like one they were willing to take.

Taking that gamble for the long term to me seems a better choice than going the HTC route with the Thunderbolt. The Charge and Revolution doesnt seem to have any issues like the Thunderbolt. They also arent dual core, LTE phones either.

Moto switched from Tegra 2 back to OMAP for a reason for the Droid 3 and Bionic. I assume part of that reason was for a better phone overall. Them delaying the Xoom LTE upgrade while they made their own chip, another gamble I assume they felt was better in the long term.

At this point, when its released and it doesnt walk on water folks are gonna rip it apart anyway.... There will be Moto fans that will give it a hard look or get it just because its made by Moto. There are some that dont even know this phone is coming out. Just be happy with whatever phone you wanna get and get.

And that's the truth, truth!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones