• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Bionic Release Date Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes as long as you have a smart phone with unlimited data you will be.

Redraider is correct. Go sign up for a month to month temporary plan with verizon and buy the cheapest smartphone you can find right now on craigslist or ebay or whatever. Lock in your your 30 dollars unlimited and just wait for your phone of choice to come out. You will be eligible for an upgrade and can get your new phone with a 2 yr contract keeping the 30dollar unlimited plan.

Reactions: BlueBiker
Upvote 0
Let me add something more to the mix. Last year, I found out that I got a discount through work for verizon, so I assumed liability for my family's plan and all phones got reset to 1yr plans.

For some reason my contract is up but verizon won't let me upgrade. I tried explaining that the definition of out of contract meant I could upgrade to the reps on the phone but I was ignored.

So, the plan is to have my wife start a new family plan and then have me assume it again so we keep getting my work discounts. This is great because it will reset to a 1yr contract.

Having said that, I planned on going to Costco this weekend, buying 4 droid charges (leaving them in the box sealed) , canceling old account, activating new account with old phones then assuming responsibility again before the 7th and in 3 weeks exchanging my sealed charges for bionics.

It seems like I have to jump through a lot of hoops and I would rather verizon just offer me 1 yr upgrades so that I could pay a little extra but save all the work.

Only concern is that Costco might not allow me to exchange my phones if the account they were purchased through (my wife's new one) was assumed by me.

I know it seems ridiculous but I don't want to buy a charge and 3 weeks later have the bionic released nor do I want to have to sign up for 2 years. technology is changing too fast!

Upvote 0
Let me add something more to the mix. Last year, I found out that I got a discount through work for verizon, so I assumed liability for my family's plan and all phones got reset to 1yr plans.

For some reason my contract is up but verizon won't let me upgrade. I tried explaining that the definition of out of contract meant I could upgrade to the reps on the phone but I was ignored.

So, the plan is to have my wife start a new family plan and then have me assume it again so we keep getting my work discounts. This is great because it will reset to a 1yr contract.

Having said that, I planned on going to Costco this weekend, buying 4 droid charges (leaving them in the box sealed) , canceling old account, activating new account with old phones then assuming responsibility again before the 7th and in 3 weeks exchanging my sealed charges for bionics.

It seems like I have to jump through a lot of hoops and I would rather verizon just offer me 1 yr upgrades so that I could pay a little extra but save all the work.

Only concern is that Costco might not allow me to exchange my phones if the account they were purchased through (my wife's new one) was assumed by me.

I know it seems ridiculous but I don't want to buy a charge and 3 weeks later have the bionic released nor do I want to have to sign up for 2 years. technology is changing too fast!

You can't get 1 year contract Verizon got rid of those so no matter what you will be signing 2 year contract.

Upvote 0
If the Droid 3 releases in mid July, seems no likely way the Bionic releases in July as well. That would probably not be smart for Moto, since not milking the new releases as best as possible to get a quick start of return on investment.

My silly guess is if D3 is mid July, the Bionic best case is around mid August.

I would argue against that, both of the phones have pros and cons to them.

A lot of customers do not want to a phone without a physical keyboard and want a cheaper 3g phone vs a more expensive LTE Bionic.

They are two entirely different phones.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I will probably wait now and see how the Bionic compares to the D3, since I will lose my early discount if I return the D3.

I had to fight to get my discount back after returning the DX2, so will not chance again.

Still, I could pay full price for the D3, that way not risking the discount again.

Thinking about it, that can create its own cost problems, unless same price as DX2.... My guess is the D3 will be more expensive.

Upvote 0
I will probably wait now and see how the Bionic compares to the D3, since I will lose my early discount if I return the D3.

I had to fight to get my discount back after returning the DX2, so will not chance again.

Still, I could pay full price for the D3, that way not risking the discount again.

Thinking about it, that can create its own cost problems, unless same price as DX2.... My guess is the D3 will be more expensive.

You only gget one return anyway. If u get a droid 3 u wont bbe able to return it and wowould have to buy bionic full price.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I just hope it won't be too little, too late. I hope it has better than the 1GHz that the FCC documents say, as I don't think that can compete with the speed of the SGS2 at all. And if it has a pentile screen, that would just suck.

ORIGINAL SOURCE: Droid Bionic launching Aug. 4, according to leaked screen | Android Central

Don't even expect it to have an AMOLED...it will either be pentile or LCD of some sort. LG and Samsung are hoarding the AMOLED screens for themselves, since they are basically the top two (if not only) makers of those screens. Hence the shortages of screens last year, and one of the reasons other phone makers are moving to other technologies; although not necessarily better for users.

Upvote 0
Don't even expect it to have an AMOLED...it will either be pentile or LCD of some sort. LG and Samsung are hoarding the AMOLED screens for themselves, since they are basically the top two (if not only) makers of those screens. Hence the shortages of screens last year, and one of the reasons other phone makers are moving to other technologies; although not necessarily better for users.

Also a reason Apple has not put the COMPLETE slamdown on Samsung- Apple needs them thar' displays :eek:

The SG2 has battery issues when using the full speed of the device, so anything higher than 1ghz with non samoled display would be a tad harsh for battery life. The main reason the the Charge lasts a little longer than the other 4G devices is the display (well, that and the slow a$$ file system). The Charge certainly is not lasting longer, due to better 4G radio, since the current generation across the board is a battery sucking mess.

Reactions: redraider1
Upvote 0
Also a reason Apple has not put the COMPLETE slamdown on Samsung- Apple needs them thar' displays :eek:

The SG2 has battery issues when using the full speed of the device, so anything higher than 1ghz with non samoled display would be a tad harsh for battery life. The main reason the the Charge lasts a little longer than the other 4G devices is the display (well, that and the slow a$$ file system). The Charge certainly is not lasting longer, due to better 4G radio, since the current generation across the board is a battery sucking mess.

Are you saying that SAMOLED uses less power? Your two statements seem to contradict themselves...

Upvote 0
Are you saying that SAMOLED uses less power? Your two statements seem to contradict themselves...

Nope, point being unless most of the content you look at is almost all white, amoled tech consumes less power and the 45nm Hummingbird also consumes less power than the 45nm Snap.

LTE consumes about 50% more power in regards to the radio, but not total weight of power consumption, since the display, main chipset, audio and other functions also consume power.

This is why most people see a few hours less (25 to 30%), rather than 50% less, when the LTE radio is enabled.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones