• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Bionic Release Date Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rushmore is saying the opposite of what you are saying lol he is saying it would be worse with EXT4.

Heh, well it's confusing to interpret! I don't actually know much about RFS, but the most likely reason it's slow is that it fragments data and metadata (FAT, inodes, whatever) across the partition, so that it takes multiple I/O operations to track down and transfer whatever the OS or app is trying to read or write. More operations is slower and more power draining. Maybe it's just not optimized for Flash media the way Btrfs is and it lays things out unaligned to page boundaries.

Then again if it's a compressed filesystem, it might cause ten times as much CPU usage but only half as much disk/flash usage. Compressed filesystems can actually run slower or faster than noncompressed, depending on how much idle CPU you have at the time (such as an extra core).

But ok, this is just fun off-topic speculation. I doubt that filesystem plays any major role in battery usage, and once the app you want is loaded in RAM it won't usually affect performance either.

Reactions: redraider1
Upvote 0
I will probably wait now and see how the Bionic compares to the D3, since I will lose my early discount if I return the D3.

I had to fight to get my discount back after returning the DX2, so will not chance again.

Still, I could pay full price for the D3, that way not risking the discount again.

Thinking about it, that can create its own cost problems, unless same price as DX2.... My guess is the D3 will be more expensive.
Dude no one cares about your discount....thanks though....

Upvote 0
Rushmore is saying the opposite of what you are saying lol he is saying it would be worse with EXT4.

It may offset, since if the file system is more efficient, processes will execute more efficiently, so less time, but the extra freedom to get things done will result in more clock usage.

I stick with the governor analogy, since if the file system was truly burdening the Charge rather than just slowing it down, the device would run hot and have poor battery life now. The Charge appears to stay cool and battery life in 3G mode is similar to to other amoled tech devices with single cores.

Upvote 0
Dude no one cares about your discount....thanks though....

Point being folks need to be careful returning devices and assuming they will keep their discount. My DX2 was defective and the VZW store manager witnessed some of the issues and returned with no stocking fee as a result. VZW still had to be pushed to maintain the discount.

Thanks for your drive-by comment on behalf of everybody else.

Upvote 0
It may offset, since if the file system is more efficient, processes will execute more efficiently, so less time, but the extra freedom to get things done will result in more clock usage.

I stick with the governor analogy, since if the file system was truly burdening the Charge rather than just slowing it down, the device would run hot and have poor battery life now. The Charge appears to stay cool and battery life in 3G mode is similar to to other amoled tech devices with single cores.

I think we're at agree-to-disagree time. That's kewl w/me, I learn a lot from your posts. :)

Upvote 0
This makes more sense than July, since more breathing room from the return window of the D3.

Torn for larger display, extra ram and 4g (when I need it), verses the better functionality of the D3.

Not sure when it will come out. That leak also states that the D3 won't be out until 7/14. According to VW's site it came out today. If that is any indication, I don't think we can trust this leak. I say shopped ;)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
"Better functionality of the D3"?? Splain because I see a keyboard as the main difference and that isn't jack to me.

Regardless if you want a keyboard or not, it inherently makes the device more functional than one without.

Besides the semantics if a person will use it or not, the device will still provide more function than not having one. How could it not provide more functional options for content interaction?

Upvote 0
Regardless if you want a keyboard or not, it inherently makes the device more functional than one without.

Besides the semantics if a person will use it or not, the device will still provide more function than not having one. How could it not provide more functional options for content interaction?

A keyboard makes the phone more fragile and susceptible to damage caused by liquids seeping through hinges and surface joins. I think it's fair to say that a ruggeder phone is more functional.

Upvote 0

It depends on the system being used. Function is directly tied to the UI, and Android is a fully functional touch UI.

A physical keyboard is simply a matter of preference, but I wouldn't make the argument that it adds inherent function. If it's more impractical for a user, it detracts from it, actually.

Upvote 0
A keyboard makes the phone more fragile and susceptible to damage caused by liquids seeping through hinges and surface joins. I think it's fair to say that a ruggeder phone is more functional.

You seem to be bridging function with reliability under certain conditions. That is conjecture from the point.

BTW:

I am NOT saying the D3 is better- not at all.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones