• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Official" Cyanogemod For Galaxy S2 4G

fleabusAF

Lurker
Apr 18, 2012
It's for the Sprint version of our phone, but it's as official as we are going to get.

http://get.cm/?device=d710
Information: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch ("d710") - CyanogenMod

I was hoping some brave soul would install this on their phone and let the rest of us know what to do to get the necessary VM bits back in place, as well as the installation instructions including root. I'm currently running the VM jelly bean release (which I hoped they would have patched by now...can't believe the first version is perfect...grrr).

Thanks in advance!

I loaded the 9/22 version and my phone works as well as I expected.

I rooted with framaroot (was running JB stock rom). I used mobile odin and installed a sprint kernel and recovery. In recovery I flashed an ics modem before installing cyanogen mod. The reason I used a sprint kernel and recovery is otherwise I received a ton of "assert" errors when trying to flash cyanogenmod since it's for the sprint. A more motivated person could probably figure out which file to edit where to fix this but I'm not that person.

I also tried the TWRP recovery that is listed in the rooting guide post someone editing for our phone and although it would install, when I rebooted the same recovery was present, so I tried something else.

MMS works fine for me. I didn't have to install a special version. I didn't install visual voice mail but i have no idea if it works. I don't use it anyway. The menus say Sprint on them instead of Virgin Mobile. You can't update your PRL or profile with this software either. I figure I'll just restore JB and do that if I ever need to.

The only oddity I've seen is once my phone went to sleep and I couldn't get the screen back on without pulling out the battery. I just replaced my wifes VM phone for doing this on stock JB, so if this "feature" shows up too often I'll have to go back to stock since I don't know what is causing it, but I've been using my phone with Cyanogenmod now for 2 weeks and plan to keep it this way for the forseeable future.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones