• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Desire HD Release Thread

Went into phones4u and had a quick look at it today. Was a very quick look though, the guy couldn't offer me anything close to what I got with MPD and he was offensive to look at and listen to.

Carphone Warehouse told me to look on GSMArena for a release date until her colleague told her she could order one from another branch. But they also couldn't offer me a decent deal on an 18 month contract.

Vodafone store told me they'd have it in 2 weeks. T-Mobile store said they'd have it next week. Oddly enough 02 store also said they'd have it next week...

Generally is the case and that's why I never buy in store unless I'm super desperate...And if you are prepared to pay extra on the phone, T-Mobile can work out cheaper direct!.

O2 have it next week?..Thats a stark change from "will not stock because of business reasons" lol.

People in phone shops tend to get upset the second you mention third party online deals as they know they can't match them.

Yip because they know they have lost already.

Yeah... the woman in Carphone Warehouse gave me some rubbish along the lines of "but if you buy online you don't get the customer service you get here". Felt like saying "thats a good thing" :D

And seriously the guy in Phones4U was the biggest, most gormless ape I have ever met. Now I remember why I do all my shopping online ^_^

haha!.

*buys you a drink of your choice*

Hmmm. You weren't in their Falmouth store at the weekend were you? I also popped in there but they hadn't had the DHD set-up on their system so she couldn't give me any info. on tariffs etc. But she also a) pointed me to GSM Arena and b) gave me the same spiel about the dangers of buying online!

She was cute though .... :D

Dave

What I would have done then is said "i'll take a contract out if I get your number and I can take you out ;)"..hey works for me sometimes ;)

Upvote 0
The thought never crossed my mind ... nothing to do with the wife being just down the street of course ... :D

Dave

hehe

How come I hear that ppl in Netherlands got their hands on it ?
Wasnt it supposed to be released in UK first ?

Anyone knows any stores outside of the UK that already have this magical phone ?
:)

I will do some digging for you

Upvote 0
Got one! I'm from holland and i got the first one last friday!

This phone is the best ever, except pictures are are a little bit correly but the dual led flash is very good:

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/5578/imag0038lm.jpg

The touchscreen is very sensitive but very good, the apps and games run like a shine and the htc sense UI is beautifull! This is such an improvement since Satio!

Love android!

Upvote 0
Why would he bother posting on all these 'waiting for the handset' threads? hasn't he had his demo version for a couple of weeks now? ;)

Lets just forget about the user. I'm sure Colrey will pop up again when a problem arises.

But it is worth noting that every date he said was WRONG hehe

Got one! I'm from holland and i got the first one last friday!

This phone is the best ever, except pictures are are a little bit correly but the dual led flash is very good:

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/5578/imag0038lm.jpg

The touchscreen is very sensitive but very good, the apps and games run like a shine and the htc sense UI is beautifull! This is such an improvement since Satio!

Love android!

If thats a pic taken with the camera, its really poor...grainy as hell..unless its the onboard graphics on the work computer being poor.

Upvote 0
You would think that with the online threat that high street stores would be fighting to keep up with them.

I have not ordered a DHD yet, not sure about the only site I can get it from on O2 (Buymobilephones.net)

Called into CPW this morning, spoke to a nice lady who told me the DHD was in stock. But computer cant upgrade on O2. Yet. Don't know when that will be available. T-mobile, Orange or Vodamoan. I refuse to use Vodamoan, bad experience there. Orange has poor reception in my house, its pretty much unusable. T-mobile website told me I could make calls, but 3g coverage in my area was none. Not even poor, NONE! The lady even stated T-mobile not good coverage here.
hmm, I seem to remember that all initial release info stated ALL networks would carry it, though on O2 it would only be via CPW.

Sim free then? No cant do that.

Off to P4U (shiver). Had one DHD in stock. Orange or Vodamoan :(
Would I like a Blackberry. Got the new ones in. :thinking:
No, I would ask for one if I wanted a BB.
How about a Galaxy S? Its even better than the Iphone, he said.
:thinking::thinking: I never mentioned Iphones.

Can you do it sim free then?

No its not out on PAYG yet, might be 6 months, we don't know.

i asked can you not just sell the handset, but, "No, we dont do that."

So well done to those that got it simfree from P4U, my local store wont sell it.

Back to checking online then, and waiting, I guess.

Upvote 0
I thought I'd go down to the shops to see what the situation is in my town. First disappointment: three mobile phone shops aren't open. CPW moving a few doors down (both old and new not open), and Orange and O2 closed for refurbishment.

3 had it, but not SIM free. While I was looking at it, it detatched itself from its security cord thingy. I could have walked with it. (But I didn't - honest!)

Phones4U had it, very securely tethered - and with a hole punched through it. Advertised SIM free at

Upvote 0
I was on the phone yesterday to T-Mobile about upgrading. She said they didn't have any stock in atm, I thought it had not been released yet but she said they get a few batches in for testing, and then send them out bit by bit, mine was put on priority and is coming tomorrow :). Just a little bit of info. Got a great deal too :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones