• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Official Discussion] Huawei Ascend 2.1 - 2.2 Firmware Upgrade (Info updated as received!)

i don't think this is a case of lagging. At the moment the behavior while the keyboard is displayed is that when the phone is rotated to upright it switches after a few seconds, when it is rotated to the right side it doesn't switch even after waiting a minute, when it is rotated to the left side it switches after a few seconds, and when it is rotated upside down it doesn't switch even after waiting a minute.

huh?

Upvote 0
So I upgraded my phone to 2.2 and everything went fine until I discovered all my contacts and apps were gone. Greattttt. I had the SD Card in the entire time, and I thought that was enough, I thought that meant everything was backed up and I didn't need to do anything extra but apparently not. It saved all my pictures though for some reason.

Did 2.2 fix that annoying tip thing in Swype? Because since yesterday I haven't seen it pop up anymore! If so, GREAT!

Also, why is the lowest volume now VIBRATE instead of silent?! Is there no silent now? That sucks!

Also no, my phone is not rooted or anything.

Upvote 0
So I upgraded my phone to 2.2 and everything went fine until I discovered all my contacts and apps were gone. Greattttt. I had the SD Card in the entire time, and I thought that was enough, I thought that meant everything was backed up and I didn't need to do anything extra but apparently not. It saved all my pictures though for some reason.

Did 2.2 fix that annoying tip thing in Swype? Because since yesterday I haven't seen it pop up anymore! If so, GREAT!

Also, why is the lowest volume now VIBRATE instead of silent?! Is there no silent now? That sucks!

2.2 fix the tip for swype?
im running cm6 and i still have it

Upvote 0

Make sure you sync contacts with your Google account from here on out. You'll always have them, even if you switch phones. You might even have them now if you go in and sync them. Never know.

As for apps, just go to the market on your computer, and look at your market history. Everything you've ever gotten should be there.

I've never ran 2.2, so I don't know about the silent. I'm betting that there are apps on the market that can find you a work around.

Reactions: Xaviera2010
Upvote 0
Make sure you sync contacts with your Google account from here on out. You'll always have them, even if you switch phones. You might even have them now if you go in and sync them. Never know.

As for apps, just go to the market on your computer, and look at your market history. Everything you've ever gotten should be there.

I've never ran 2.2, so I don't know about the silent. I'm betting that there are apps on the market that can find you a work around.

I don't even use gmail so I don't want to sync my accounts. I only had like 15 contacts anyways, it's not much trouble, just wondering why it didn't backup on my SD card.

And you're right, I go to the Android Market on my computer and all my apps are there. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Also is there anyway to change the status bar color? I badly want it to be black, or clear.

I still suggest you sync your contacts. It doesn't matter if you use your Google email addy or not. It's a sure-fire way to never lose them again. I run Android 2.3 on my Ascend, so I can also sync my Facebook contacts, which puts their profile pictures into my contact list. Kinda cool there.

As for the status bar, that only changes if you change your theme. The occasional launcher will do it, but most won't. There are threads in here about themes, just use the search. Myself, I've never changed it outside of Theme Chooser which comes with CM7.

Upvote 0
I still suggest you sync your contacts. It doesn't matter if you use your Google email addy or not. It's a sure-fire way to never lose them again. I run Android 2.3 on my Ascend, so I can also sync my Facebook contacts, which puts their profile pictures into my contact list. Kinda cool there.

As for the status bar, that only changes if you change your theme. The occasional launcher will do it, but most won't. There are threads in here about themes, just use the search. Myself, I've never changed it outside of Theme Chooser which comes with CM7.

How did you get 2.3 on your Ascend? o_O I don't want to sync contacts because I don't want these people on my phone, I don't talk to the majority, so it would be a bunch of deleting on my part.

I use Go Launcher EX and love it, but it doesn't change my status bar :(

Also, what is CM7?

Upvote 0
How did you get 2.3 on your Ascend? o_O I don't want to sync contacts because I don't want these people on my phone, I don't talk to the majority, so it would be a bunch of deleting on my part.

I use Go Launcher EX and love it, but it doesn't change my status bar :(

Also, what is CM7?

Cm7 is a custom 2.3 ROM. Check the All Things Root subforum. If I remember correctly you can change the notification bar color in Cyanogenmod settings. It's been a while though since I messed with that... it may have been ADW Settings.

Upvote 0
How do I turn off the shutter sound for the camera? In 2.2 I can't find it.

Root your phone and download root explorer and go to system>media>audio>ui and either delete camera_click.ogg or your can rename it to camera_click.ogg.bk. There is some apps on the market if you dont want to root. I dont know if any of them actually work tho.

Upvote 0
Root your phone and download root explorer and go to system>media>audio>ui and either delete camera_click.ogg or your can rename it to camera_click.ogg.bk. There is some apps on the market if you dont want to root. I dont know if any of them actually work tho.

I have to root my phone just to turn off the shutter sound? Before I upgraded to 2.2 I was able to just turn it off in settings. This is BS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones