• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official EVO Rumors and Speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be inclined to agree with you...but the post I made just previous to yours is about a product that by all accounts eclipses the Zagg's. Of course I have no experience with this...so I just say from what I read...you can check the links for yourself. Btw...this is a good opportunity for me to again thank you for all of your great contributions to this thread!
I was looking at the steinheil protectors too. It kind of makes me nervous spraying liquid on my phone to install an invisibleshield protector. On the other hand, I wonder how well just static keeps the steinheil on or does it use something else to adhere to the screen?

Upvote 0
I was looking at the steinheil protectors too. It kind of makes me nervous spraying liquid on my phone to install an invisibleshield protector. On the other hand, I wonder how well just static keeps the steinheil on or does it use something else to adhere to the screen?

I've sprayed many, many devices, and it always works out just fine.

Regarding the resistive issue, the Zagg shield never interferes with sensitivity. I've had them on iPhones, EnV Touch, Palm Pres, Zunes, and so on.

Upvote 0
All I can say is that if they actually wait till June 6th to start advertising, they will fail HARD.

When did Verizon run the first Droid ads? October 17th. When did Verizon release the Droid? November 6th.

The point is you can run teaser ads in advance but you never want to advertise the hell out of something you can't go out and buy at least in the near future.

Following that, if they start running teasers early June and make the phone available to the public in mid-to-late June, it will be about the same.

Start with teasers, build interest, then blitz within a day or two of release.

Upvote 0
i've only dropped my Centro once in 2 years because it's so narrow and light and thus easy to grip. the drop factor will be higher on the EVO due to the width so i'll have to be extra careful.

i wouldn't have it any other way though. that 4.3" display will be sweet. it'll be like going from a 13" Tube TV to a 52" LCD TV.

Upvote 0
i've only dropped my Centro once in 2 years because it's so narrow and light and thus easy to grip. the drop factor will be higher on the EVO due to the width so i'll have to be extra careful.

i wouldn't have it any other way though. that 4.3" display will be sweet. it'll be like going from a 13" Tube TV to a 52" LCD TV.

Same here. If it comes with a gel case like the HD2 I might consider using it but I always end up taking off cases after a few weeks.

Upvote 0
Ok so i was watching the video Drex posted earlier by CNN money. Do you guys see the space a 4G netwrok base station takes up? It is less than the size of a file cabinet because everything is stored "up in a cloud" as opposed to that huge 3G storage rooom. This is the exact reason why Sprint and walmart are teaming up to increase the amounts of 4G markets because it is easy to install and won;t take up much space at all.

GOOOO SPRINT

Jackson

Upvote 0
I'm guessing that would just be for the routers and maybe the housing down below. Those antennas are not that cheap not to mention the fo cables required to wire everything up the tower. I've also read it's much more expensive to put an antenna on top of a building than to just build a new tower. For instance here in NYC broadcasters pay millions of dollars each year in leases to high rise building in order to be able to put such equipment on top of buildings and skyscrapers.

The reason Sprint wants to go with WiMax is that the cost to run it is cheaper and more effective than 3G.

That's why they are banking on it doing well....and if LTE is the inevitable choice, WiMax theoritacally can be change over through software.

Sprints looking to spend to get these networks up now, for the money it will save in the long run.

also wanted to congratulate Bill...you do a great job of keeping this thread going.

Reactions: billsmed
Upvote 0
I haven't heard the whole Sprint/Walmart WiMAX superteam thing in a while, any developments on that?

I downloaded the Justin.tv app for my iPod today and it was a lifesaver as I was able to stream a live broadcast of a race today while at school...hopefully they develop an app for Android and also I think it would be cool if they did live mobile video like Qik.

Upvote 0
Hey jackson , i think case-mate.com has better screen protectors . check out the clear armor case . it's the same as a screen protector but covers the phone and is practically invisible when you put it on . so you could also throw a gel skin on top if you wanted .

oh and dandm4life they have a app called "shapewriter" . really awesome and i use it . forget texting . but they have a beta version which is awesome but it only worls for 1.5 . i have 2.1 on my hero and can't find it in the market . so i got it on a torrent site and installed it on my eoeappinstaller app .

Upvote 0
The reason Sprint wants to go with WiMax is that the cost to run it is cheaper and more effective than 3G.

That's why they are banking on it doing well....and if LTE is the inevitable choice, WiMax theoritacally can be change over through software.

Sprints looking to spend to get these networks up now, for the money it will save in the long run.

Holy 4G Standards! To the WiMAX thread, Batman!

Reactions: kcs7272
Upvote 0
Ok so i was watching the video Drex posted earlier by CNN money. Do you guys see the space a 4G netwrok base station takes up? It is less than the size of a file cabinet because everything is stored "up in a cloud" as opposed to that huge 3G storage rooom. This is the exact reason why Sprint and walmart are teaming up to increase the amounts of 4G markets because it is easy to install and won;t take up much space at all.

GOOOO SPRINT

Jackson

Glad you got to watch it. How 'bout the screen? You think the EVO the guy is using is a prototype? He says "pre-release" but I'm wondering if he mis-spoke.

Upvote 0
yea drexappeal, even if it is supposed to rival it , it is smart for a phone maker to push their phones on all carriers to compete . but i didn't bother on clicking on the link because i read something on that earlier on it . but if that's the same article it said sprint and every other carrier should get it sometime in june . i think end of june and verizon later in the year . i guess we will see .

lovely screen but it does have a plastic chrome look to me and i dont like that . i just love the screen and the guts of it . i dont like the whiz on it either .

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
thats def not the handset which will be released. Clearly he was with a sprint rep because the device had that red earpiece grill signifying it is one of 12 on circulation throughout Sprint's company. The one's we will be getting have a silver ear grill, which is what the execs over at HTC have. I wouldn't worry about screen brightness on this one. I think it might have been tuned down or there was something funky with the red earpieced versions. The silver ones are supposedly great. Good call on the vid drex!

Upvote 0
yea drexappeal, even if it is supposed to rival it , it is smart for a phone maker to push their phones on all carriers to compete . but i didn't bother on clicking on the link because i read something on that earlier on it . but if that's the same article it said sprint and every other carrier should get it sometime in june . i think end of june and verizon later in the year . i guess we will see .

lovely screen but it does have a plastic chrome look to me and i dont like that . i just love the screen and the guts of it . i dont like the whiz on it either .

Thanks, Nate. I hadn't read much about the Galaxy S, except for articles talking about that, the EVO, iPhone and Incredible all supposedly the top competitors this year.

I think I even posted a video on youtube that had them ranking the Galaxy S #1, which was one slot higher than the EVO.

Nontheless, it's not gonna change my mind about which phone I'm getting, but just found it interesting for sure.

Upvote 0
Thanks, Nate. I hadn't read much about the Galaxy S, except for articles talking about that, the EVO, iPhone and Incredible all supposedly the top competitors this year.

I think I even posted a video on youtube that had them ranking the Galaxy S #1, which was one slot higher than the EVO.

Nontheless, it's not gonna change my mind about which phone I'm getting, but just found it interesting for sure.

galaxy s may not be 4g but has one of the most powerful processors oyu can put in a smart phone I may have to look into it if its true about it coming out in june.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
galaxy s may not be 4g but has one of the most powerful processors oyu can put in a smart phone I may have to look into it if its true about it coming out in june.

It also comes packed with Samsung's Super AMOLED screen that blows any other screen type out of the water by leaps and bounds, if this had 4G I'd say bye bye Evo. I dont see how people are calling this device ugly... it's a standard block with 2 or 3 hardware keys at the bottom and 95% of the device is the screen they're basically the same.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones