• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official EVO Rumors and Speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can not take a technology in mid-build and claim it is so all over.

Leaves and trees should not effect your signal a whole amount. Wimax automatically adjust strength for degradation.

So the more scrambled your signal the more power is used.

But this really does depend on the build out. If you are at a BASE station or a REPEATER station.

It also depends on the amount of energy being used and your chip in your receiver.

I have done extensive test on wimax. I have found that for the most part, a 6-10mbps promised speed can be achieve to the end of the signal strength.

Yes buildings and mountains can deflect the signal. But the cost of filling these holes will be less then lte deployment.

I am not doubting your statments but would blame it on a weak receiving chip, clearwire's old chip set, and the use of a repeater instead of a base
station.

Like any coverage, given time, the holes will be filled.

Lte will be worst given the high cost of building out the next work and it can not boost signal strength to over come degradation.

No doubt about that. Attenuation can definitely be mitigated by increasing broadcast amplitude and receiver sensitivity, but in many cases it is often better (more efficient to be exact) to just add another tower to try and regain LOS between receiver and base/repeater. Obviously adding signal repeaters to buses (as mentioned before), or Wal-Mart buildings, etc.. (personally I'd like to see them added to streetlights and/or bus stops) increases signal density and reduces attenuation affects by reducing the likelihood that you are stuck with an inefficient signal path.

I think the 6-10Mbps bandwidth sounds pretty reasonable for most of the areas where 4g is deployed. Based on the tower density at my residence I doubt I'll get much over 3Mbps - but the situation could improve by then anyway. Last I heard Sprint/Clear is still putting up something like 3 towers a day (totally unverified statement there) in DFW.

tl;dr - Yeah

Upvote 0
ok so I dont want to read 4 pages to catch up. Can someone recap lol

- May 12, Sprint and Walt Disney to have a joint preview event of the HTC EVO 4G and the movie Prince of Persia. The "invite only" Event is supposedly in New York City.
- Sprint and WalMart to go into partnership adding Wimax towers at the top of each WalMart location (per Jackson)

Not sure what other "breaking" news there's been the past 4 pages.

Upvote 0
Thanks for information.

Can you elaborate on clears old chipsets ? When did they stop using them and in what products?

what about now? And do you have any info on chipsets in Evo?

Ty sir.

You can not take a technology in mid-build and claim it is so all over.

Leaves and trees should not effect your signal a whole amount. Wimax automatically adjust strength for degradation.

So the more scrambled your signal the more power is used.

But this really does depend on the build out. If you are at a BASE station or a REPEATER station.

It also depends on the amount of energy being used and your chip in your receiver.

I have done extensive test on wimax. I have found that for the most part, a 6-10mbps promised speed can be achieve to the end of the signal strength.

Yes buildings and mountains can deflect the signal. But the cost of filling these holes will be less then lte deployment.

I am not doubting your statments but would blame it on a weak receiving chip, clearwire's old chip set, and the use of a repeater instead of a base
station.

Like any coverage, given time, the holes will be filled.

Lte will be worst given the high cost of building out the next work and it can not boost signal strength to over come degradation.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, yess do not be surprised if you here of Sprint and Walmart around Q4 2010. This is something Sprint has been talking with Walmart for sometime. If you saw that video Drex left it shows why its possible. All you need is some routers in a file cabinet like enclosure and an antenna on the top of the building. It would benefit walmart and Sprint...it only makes "sense"

As far as froyo goes, i told you nothing is like a nice frozen yogurt on a hot summer day. Especially on or around June 6th waiting in line to get one at a Sprint store. Who ever thought Sprint would be selling Frozen Yogurt? Not me....

hahah Jackson

ohh hope you all liked the hardware, that may be the only thing u recognize...
Okay, its one thing to be our own Nostradamus in relaying good tidbits of info about the EVO, but now you are the Riddler from Batman.what the hell? lol Then you say "hope you all like the hardware cause thats the only thin you will recognize". You know some are going mis-interpret that as Sprint releasing the EVO on June 6th with FroYo. being that the outside is the same but the inside (the os) is not. Unless that is what you are saying. :eek:

TS out (taking an aspirin since my head is spinning)

Upvote 0
Not everyone has a Walmart near them, in fact the entire city of NY doesn't. That's close to 15 million people. The reason NYC doesn't have a Walmart is because no one wanted one as it would kill small businesses in the city something I'm glade they did. The nearest Walmart here would be in NJ and well over 50+ miles from me but it really doesn't bother me NYC is a major market and won't go without WiMax either way, but I am still proud to not have a Walmart even remotely close to me, you should really read up on that company total scumbags run it and it seems they have at least a dozen employee related lawsuits every year.

Upvote 0
Not everyone has a Walmart near them, in fact the entire city of NY doesn't. That's close to 15 million people. The reason NYC doesn't have a Walmart is because no one wanted one as it would kill small businesses in the city something I'm glade they did. The nearest Walmart here would be in NJ and well over 50+ miles from me but it really doesn't bother me NYC is a major market and won't go without WiMax either way, but I am still proud to not have a Walmart even remotely close to me, you should really read up on that company total scumbags run it and it seems they have at least a dozen employee related lawsuits every year.

I wouldn't worry too much about all of NYC not having Walmarts. I posted this on the last page, but re-posting, just in case some peeps didn't see it:

Radio transmission image - WiMax at a thousand feet in the Big Apple (photos) - CNET News

All the rumors about NYC being one of the first "major" markets to get WiMax look to be shaping up quite nicely if these work as they're supposed to. On top of that, if that Sprint event in NYC is truly legit, then that might be the debut date for WiMax in NYC.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't worry too much about all of NYC not having Walmarts. I posted this on the last page, but re-posting, just in case some peeps didn't see it:

Radio transmission image - WiMax at a thousand feet in the Big Apple (photos) - CNET News

All the rumors about NYC being one of the first "major" markets to get WiMax look to be shaping up quite nicely if these work as they're supposed to. On top of that, if that Sprint event in NYC is truly legit, then that might be the debut date for WiMax in NYC.

I know all about those stations, mainly the empire state building of which we have three antennas on at work. Five major broadcasters are on that roof CNN, ABC, FOX, NBC and WPIX they pay a pretty penny for that too we're talking seven zeros and higher.

Upvote 0
I know all about those stations, mainly the empire state building of which we have three antennas on at work. Five major broadcasters are on that roof CNN, ABC, FOX, NBC and WPIX they pay a pretty penny for that too we're talking seven zeros and higher.

I see. Just wanted to make sure you saw the article, in case it got lost in the shuffle.

Wow, 7 zeros is no joke :eek:

Upvote 0
I see. Just wanted to make sure you saw the article, in case it got lost in the shuffle.

Wow, 7 zeros is no joke :eek:

Yeah no kidding, that's only the tv broadcasters I know there is way more up there than just TV antennas I only know of those for sure because I work for one of the broadcasters stated in my last post but I'm sure it doesn't come cheap for anyone else.

Upvote 0
Shouldn't all this Walmart/WiMax stuff be in the WiMax thread?If this comes to fruition it would likely be the only way I'd ever get WiMax coverage ever where I live. Just got EVDO Rev 0 here in late January despite it being a city of 100,000, so doubt WiMax ever comes. here But, I'm right between two Walmarts both a few miles away.

Reactions: cary328is
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones