• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official EVO Rumors and Speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
my guess would be that most web data fed apps would show appreciable performance increases with a 4G connection vs. a 3G connection even if it's the same version of the app. however, that's not to say that apps and/or the OS can't or won't be optimized for 4G.

if the app sucks a golf ball through the 3G garden hose at X speed, it should suck it at 4X speed with a 4G pipeline and you should see that performance difference.

Upvote 0
a rock in my back yard is more sophisticated than the pre...

btw dont know if any of u noticed but sprint is advertising the Evo right on this page now

so the rock in your backyard can run 8 or more apps at once? can call other phones cell phones satellite phones browse the internet run on sprint and other stuff that make it a cell phone? Wow I wanna meet this awesome rock if it has more sophisticated then a pre it needs to be patented by someone and made it in the ultimate iphone killer wow!!

Upvote 0
Guys get off the android version already.

Wow.

2.1 contains the linux kernel 2.6.32.

The stack and drivers for the vast majority of wimax cards have been included in every linux kernel from 2.6.29.

If it contains the linux kernel 2.6.29. It has the stack and drivers built into the kernel.

Every version of android that has 2.6.29 or later, can run a wimax chip.

All they would have to do is make the UI, system, and power controls.

So it really does not matter which version is shipped. They will all work.

Upvote 0
Guys get off the android version already.

Wow.

2.1 contains the linux kernel 2.6.32.

The stack and drivers for the vast majority of wimax cards have been included in every linux kernel from 2.6.29.

If it contains the linux kernel 2.6.29. It has the stack and drivers built into the kernel.

Every version of android that has 2.6.29 or later, can run a wimax chip.

All they would have to do is make the UI, system, and power controls.

So it really does not matter which version is shipped. They will all work.

+1

Upvote 0
I think it is a HTC feature. Seems like every Android HTC device from now on will have a FM radio.

I'm keeping calm on this one. I don't mind to wait. Just exported my contacts from my Pre today, really easy with a patch :D.

why did you need to export contacts? why haven't you just been synergizin' with Google Contacts/Calendar this whole time? thus just plug and play when you get your EVO or X new phone. what have you been syncing with?

Upvote 0
Thank you guys so much for all the news and updates. I'm at school all day just waiting to get home and learn some more news about this new phone. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute one day. Man I've never been so hyped up after this phone. And after holding the HD2 at a T-Mobile stand at the mall i can't get over how awesome that huge screen feels in my hand. I need the EVO :(

Upvote 0
a rock in my back yard is more sophisticated than the pre...

Technologia - Demotywatory.pl

1270846844_by_vndr_500.jpg

Upvote 0
Ok SP thats exactly where i was going. At CTIA the OS on the Evo and WiMAX were not compatible at all. Hence why soo many apps could not be shown. I know some of them were not complete, but others could not work with 2.1 because the OS does not support a 4G signal. If the OS does not support a 4G signal then that means widgets and apps and such can not work on 4G. If those can't work on 4G then what is the point of even having a 4G phone.

Now i know some of you are saying hey we saw the internet run on 4G. So did i and damn was it fast even with laoding flash! However that was an app specifically designed for 4G. Most of the apps you find in the market however will not be 4G specific so that they can run on all android phones. In this case they wont recognize the 4G signal, thereby using 3G, thereby not making the phone live up to it's 4G potential.

If Self Praise is right, and I'm sure he is, they have fixed the OS to accept the 4G signal in all cases. This allows the signal to be recognized and used by all applications, widgets, etc.

Hopefully that clears things up, sorry if i confused any of you earlier!

Jackson

I would like to offer some reasoning and speculation as to why the Evo does not necessarily need Froyo, in order to support 4G.

The only factual information we know at this point, is what has been released in the SDK and documentation to developers. And all that information really is is a programmatic workaround for 2.1. Comments in the code snippet offered indicate that until Froyo is released, this is the workaround that will need to be used.

Now, it is being argued that Android 2.1 does not support WiMAX. In objected oriented development, you will usually see various "layers" developed independently... your app layer, business layer, data layer, etc. Each provide a different function and offer abstraction to other layers. For example, code that drives the UI doesn't necessarily care how database calls are made to get information to display. It simply makes a function call with a handful of parameters and gets back the dataset - the data layer takes care of the dirty work.

Along those lines, what is to prevent HTC/Android from implementing minor modifications to 2.1 to support the new WiMax radio? Given the SDK documentation, it is implied that the exist OS is fully capable of utilizing the hardware as long as the application in question is made aware of the new network type. The rest of it is hidden in other layers which HTC/Android would have modified for the purposes of the Evo working with 2.1.

While I too, would love to get Froyo with the Evo, I do not believe that the little solid information that has been publically revealed provides enough evidence to indicate as such. The SDK release is evidence that the 2.1 infrastructure can more than handle WiMax as simply another networkType.

Upvote 0
As mentioned the Incredible has an FM radio and is released with 2.1

The Evo will most likely be released with 2.1

Most would agree the Nexus one would be the most likely to get the update first since it's Google's 'official' phone. So if the Nexus gets it sometime in May then we can probably expect an over the air update for the Evo sometime in June or maybe shipped with Froyo, but I'd be surprised.

Upvote 0
As mentioned the Incredible has an FM radio and is released with 2.1

The Evo will most likely be released with 2.1

Most would agree the Nexus one would be the most likely to get the update first since it's Google's 'official' phone. So if the Nexus gets it sometime in May then we can probably expect an over the air update for the Evo sometime in June or maybe shipped with Froyo, but I'd be surprised.

Maybe it will be OTA after the EVO is released, like 1.0.2 was the day the Pre was released.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones