• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official EVO Rumors and Speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
why did you need to export contacts? why haven't you just been synergizin' with Google Contacts/Calendar this whole time? thus just plug and play when you get your EVO or X new phone. what have you been syncing with?

this never worked right for me. tried several workarounds. it would always sync from gmail to device, but not from device to gmail.

Upvote 0
What patch did u use to transfer your address book from the pre to your gmail account?

It's called send contacts via email.

Technologia - Demotywatory.pl

1270846844_by_vndr_500.jpg

Don't forget this one:

ipad-vs-kindle-vs-rock.jpg

Upvote 0
I would like to offer some reasoning and speculation as to why the Evo does not necessarily need Froyo, in order to support 4G.

The only factual information we know at this point, is what has been released in the SDK and documentation to developers. And all that information really is is a programmatic workaround for 2.1. Comments in the code snippet offered indicate that until Froyo is released, this is the workaround that will need to be used.

Now, it is being argued that Android 2.1 does not support WiMAX. In objected oriented development, you will usually see various "layers" developed independently... your app layer, business layer, data layer, etc. Each provide a different function and offer abstraction to other layers. For example, code that drives the UI doesn't necessarily care how database calls are made to get information to display. It simply makes a function call with a handful of parameters and gets back the dataset - the data layer takes care of the dirty work.

Along those lines, what is to prevent HTC/Android from implementing minor modifications to 2.1 to support the new WiMax radio? Given the SDK documentation, it is implied that the exist OS is fully capable of utilizing the hardware as long as the application in question is made aware of the new network type. The rest of it is hidden in other layers which HTC/Android would have modified for the purposes of the Evo working with 2.1.

While I too, would love to get Froyo with the Evo, I do not believe that the little solid information that has been publically revealed provides enough evidence to indicate as such. The SDK release is evidence that the 2.1 infrastructure can more than handle WiMax as simply another networkType.

Thanks Bek for the insightful explanation. I'm wondering though whether if even though the OS might support WiMax functionality (as long as individual applications are coded to recognize the network type), existing applications which have hitherto not included these tags will be able to take advantage of WiMax? I'm guessing that they will not be able to do so. I'm also assuming that these lines of code demonstrate that the OS fully allows WiMax connectivity but does not at the OS level automatically enable it. Hence future versions of Android will have WiMax directly integrated at the OS level, so that all applications will be able to take advantage of WiMax... without the need of additional code in each application. Until then, all existing apps and any future apps lacking these additional lines of code will be 3G only.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones