• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official EVO Rumors and Speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's the older version of Skyfire that consumed more battery, but everytime I've used Skyfire to stream something, my battery goes quickly!...LOL...Then again, maybe it's just this stupid Touch Pro that I want to get rid of once and for all and replace with an EVO!

I think it's keeping your screen on the whole time you stream a game as well as keeping your data connection live the whole time that drains the batt. even when we get native flash it'll probably be fairly battery intensive.

Upvote 0
Thanks, TS. I agree with your comments and appreciate you as our moderator. My take on this whole thing is that this thread is too big and at times it wonders quite a bit, but it's still a good thread with a lot of good people contributing. That being said, I can still see this thread being closed in the next few weeks after the phone is released, just like they did in the Incredible forum today.

Over the weekend, I suggested we make a "tips and tricks" thread when it gets a little closer to release time. I see they just that in the Incredible forum a couple of days ago. I would like to see such a tread started ahead of time, with tips you can use prior to getting the phone. Then, after everyone starts getting the phone, we can expound on other subjects that deal with using the phone to get maximum benefit from it. I don't think it's too early to start thinking about it right now and I'm open to suggestions for topics you'd like to see covered.

Bill

Upvote 0
I was just wondering this so I thought I would ask without researching. I've read some posts regarding video capture. I guess I was wondering if the EVO could be used as a video camera in a sence of spur of the moment capture but be able to download the video to a computer and make high quality DVD / AVCHD disc from it. I'm talking good quality. What format does it record in? 30 fps and 720p would seem that I would get great results. After all who wants to carry a camcorder around or invest more money in a product like the flip camcorder.

Upvote 0
I was just wondering this so I thought I would ask without researching. I've read some posts regarding video capture. I guess I was wondering if the EVO could be used as a video camera in a sence of spur of the moment capture but be able to download the video to a computer and make high quality DVD / AVCHD disc from it. I'm talking good quality. What format does it record in? 30 fps and 720p would seem that I would get great results. After all who wants to carry a camcorder around or invest more money in a product like the flip camcorder.
There's been some dialog on frame rate in this thread and that seems to be an unknown, but we definitely know the camera has 720p and the phone has a HDMI out. That means you will be able to have high-quality output to your HDTV. I would assume you'd also be able to output 720 HD to YouTube.

Upvote 0
Okay folks, grab some popcorn cause this is gonna be long...

snip snip snip...

Now, like I mentioned a few days ago and quite a few pages back, one of the ideas both me and billsmed had was to split this thread into two. One just for Official info and the other for speculation and rumor or keeping it as is in one spot. But I really haven't decided yet. There are pros and cons to that either idea.

snip snip snip...

TS

TS, Bill and everyone,

How about a recap of daily noteworthy news? Is something like this possible? either the original post, where a daily link back log is kept, letting folks link right to news worthy posts, or a new thread with the same links? Someone had done something like that with the Incredible, but more along the lines of features and release dates.

I know it is a lot of work for someone and sadly I am not volunteering, but maybe someone else would be interested?

What I would like best of all here would be an ability to choose to only view posts with x# of thanks attached. right now, all I have time for is to look for posts with 5+ thanks now. I really want to keep on top of everything and contribute as I can, but it is just too much lately. My problem, not yours, but maybe ther are others that are in the same boat?

Thanks for your post TS. I hope it helps keep this lean and focused. I am not blameless either, so it was a good reminder for me.

Upvote 0
Over the weekend, I suggested we make a "tips and tricks" thread when it gets a little closer to release time. I see they just that in the Incredible forum a couple of days ago. I would like to see such a tread started ahead of time, with tips you can use prior to getting the phone. Then, after everyone starts getting the phone, we can expound on other subjects that deal with using the phone to get maximum benefit from it. I don't think it's too early to start thinking about it right now and I'm open to suggestions for topics you'd like to see covered.

Bill
great idea. especially since i have never owned an android device.

Upvote 0
There's been some dialog on frame rate in this thread and that seems to be an unknown, but we definitely know the camera has 720p and the phone has a HDMI out. That means you will be able to have high-quality output to your HDTV. I would assume you'd also be able to output 720 HD to YouTube.

That I get, but I'm talking about offloading my recordings so that I came edit and archive them. Hooking up to a TV is a great bonus via HDMI but I don't plan on using the EVO as storge for videos per se.

Upvote 0
TS, Bill and everyone,

How about a recap of daily noteworthy news? Is something like this possible? either the original post, where a daily link back log is kept, letting folks link right to news worthy posts, or a new thread with the same links? Someone had done something like that with the Incredible, but more along the lines of features and release dates.

I know it is a lot of work for someone and sadly I am not volunteering, but maybe someone else would be interested?

What I would like best of all here would be an ability to choose to only view posts with x# of thanks attached. right now, all I have time for is to look for posts with 5+ thanks now. I really want to keep on top of everything and contribute as I can, but it is just too much lately. My problem, not yours, but maybe ther are others that are in the same boat?

Thanks for your post TS. I hope it helps keep this lean and focused. I am not blameless either, so it was a good reminder for me.
If someone wants to start a new thread for that, it would be fine with me. In the meantime, I'll be keeping the latest pertinent information updated in the first post.

Upvote 0
Thanks, TS. I agree with your comments and appreciate you as our moderator. My take on this whole thing is that this thread is too big and at times it wonders quite a bit, but it's still a good thread with a lot of good people contributing. That being said, I can still see this thread being closed in the next few weeks after the phone is released, just like they did in the Incredible forum today.

Bill

Great idea...I'm gonna need help! LOL I want to have a place to talk about everything from apps to screen protectors to setting up email...and everyones great ideas for this phone and how to make the most of it. I'm sure we'll have some very cool ideas from the more savvy players in this group. Btw....i contacted Steinheil about their screen protectors and they told me they have no plans on making a product for the EVO 4G at this time. I told them it would be a good idea to re-evaluate since this is going to be one hot phone....with a great media blitz coming soon. I'm so ready for the media blitz!
tongue.gif

Reactions: PyroSporker
Upvote 0
That I get, but I'm talking about offloading my recordings so that I came edit and archive them. Hooking up to a TV is a great bonus via HDMI but I don't plan on using the EVO as storge for videos per se.

I can see an ad where one guy is hauling a camera around (Disney?) and another with his EVO and recording all that fun on rides! Gets home, captures his vids to free software video tool (made by Sprint/Google/Android), and burn a cool 720p DVD / AVCHD for family enjoyment.

I can tell you, nothing sucks more then when you get up to the front of the line for a coaster ride and your told that your camera bag can't go on the ride with you!:)

What do think Jackson? Would be great for your trip!

Upvote 0
I agree totally that you will want to store those 720p files and not keep them on your phone. At this point, I'm not sure how you would do that, unless we're going to be able to do it wirelessly to your computer in a supported format.

Upvote 0
SO happy none of us will have to worry about this, once we all have our EVO's!

nextMEDIA-Source

Thoughts on Flash

As much as I can't hate on Steve Jobs for being a multi-millionaire, I for one (as a consumer) HATE having limitations.

I'm mainly interested in Flash for the applications. Flash is a cross-platform framework so if someone develops a cool tower defense game or puzzler or any app at all for Flash, you can use it on any Flash enabled browser or phone. I would love good Flash support on my phone because it would instantly enable thousands of free cross-platform applications.

Old Steve didn't get to become a millionaire by supporting free cross-platform applications. He's done it by focusing on polish and requiring that you go through his ecosystem in order to gain that polish (after paying the toll). How many iApps with their $1-5 price tags would they sell if some dev can just make it in Flash and make it available on any platform?

Upvote 0
I'm mainly interested in Flash for the applications. Flash is a cross-platform framework so if someone develops a cool tower defense game or puzzler or any app at all for Flash, you can use it on any Flash enabled browser or phone. I would love good Flash support on my phone because it would instantly enable thousands of free cross-platform applications.

Old Steve didn't get to become a millionaire by supporting free cross-platform applications. He's done it by focusing on polish and requiring that you go through his ecosystem in order to gain that polish (after paying the toll). How many iApps with their $1-5 price tags would they sell if some dev can just make it in Flash and make it available on any platform?

A lot of websites I visit use flash (sports websites in particular), so it's definitely a big plus for me to be able to view a full sports website (not the mobile version) that allows me to view the flash enabled properties on the website. Then again, for the business I'm in, it's crucial for me to be able to view full flash websites.

I definitely can't hate on how he's gained his millions, but sure happy to have a device that I'd never really have to worry about a limitation like this.

Upvote 0
As far as the tips and tricks, it seems a little premature at the moment, but what I would like to see is:

How to get custom roms on your evo and why it's beneficial.
Best way to condition your battery.
Battery-saving tips (such as changing the e-mail refresh rate to once an hour instead of every 10 minutes or so)
A small write-up on the different types of screen protectors/cases.
Something like "These are the apps you need, and this is why you need them."

Covering topics like that would be very nice for everyone, specially for people whom this phone will be their very first Android phone, such as myself and many others here.

Upvote 0
As far as the tips and tricks, it seems a little premature at the moment, but what I would like to see is:

How to get custom roms on your evo and why it's beneficial.
Best way to condition your battery.
Battery-saving tips (such as changing the e-mail refresh rate to once an hour instead of every 10 minutes or so)
A small write-up on the different types of screen protectors/cases.
Something like "These are the apps you need, and this is why you need them."

Covering topics like that would be very nice for everyone, specially for people whom this phone will be their very first Android phone, such as myself and many others here.
Good suggestions from you and andiron. If others what to add to it, I'll make a list and start keeping track.

Upvote 0
I can see an ad where one guy is hauling a camera around (Disney?) and another with his EVO and recording all that fun on rides! Gets home, captures his vids to free software video tool (made by Sprint/Google/Android), and burn a cool 720p DVD / AVCHD for family enjoyment.

I can tell you, nothing sucks more then when you get up to the front of the line for a coaster ride and your told that your camera bag can't go on the ride with you!:)

What do think Jackson? Would be great for your trip!

Hmmm. A DVD player won't be outputting native 720p. Many upscale to 720p or 1080i though.

I think what you're wanting to do would require you to either edit the video in an editing program (and make it 480p) in order to put it on a DVD or keep the movie on local storage and play it off the phone. :eek:

I have a WD TV Live box hooked up to my HDTV with an external hard drive with all of my movies on it. It also has 2 USB ports. I'll likely just transfer my video to that and play movies off of it. It plays pretty much every format, so I'm sure I can play off of that. I never really watch DVDs anymore. :D Will still need an editing program to do anything fancy though.

Upvote 0
The 720p video from your phone will be stored somewhere on the phone or SD card. It won't be a problem offloading those files to your computer or an external hard drive.
Exactly. My card reader doesn't read the mini-SD cards, but there are adapters. I have a USB cable that's always plugged in which I plug my phone into. That charges the battery and I can read the SD card with Windows Explorer after I mount the drive.

Upvote 0
Since your post hasn't been deleted, I'm assuming I'm good to respond. I'm really hoping it's the last time I have to defend myself in this matter.

Let's say I show up at an event or party several hours late so to speak, where everyone seems to be having a great time and find that I don't like the fact that every sixth song or so is a rap song and I don't care for rap.

You say I didn't understand the gist of your post because I stated that my post count mattered and then go on to give an analogy where you indicate that your hypothetical person is in the wrong because he hasn't been at the party for long enough.

So I become upset and decide to tell the DJ to stop playing the rap songs and I also insist that the guest stop dancing to to rap songs as well.

Nowhere have I demanding that people stop posting off-topic. Nowhere am I demanding that posters stop having fun. I mean, did you read my original post?

I think in doing so that I may have over stepped my bounds and maybe..just maybe.. I'm exhibiting an inflated idea of my self importance.

Can you see where this now becomes offensive? You're offhandedly insulting me.

At the end of the day, you're right. We're all here to chat about a phone. Let's just get on with that.

Reactions: mrk
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones