• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official EVO Rumors and Speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were to, HYPOTHETICALLY (since we can't do it yet) lay an Incredible (on Verizon) down on the table next to an EVO 4G (on Sprint in a WiMax area)....and then click on the same link on both phones at the same time...which phone would get me to the web site faster?
No one can answer that question. No one. That so depends on current internet traffic, cell phone signal, and current cell phone use. That it would be impossible to give you a straight answer. If you assumed that everything is perfect. No lag on the server side. The server is perfect in every aspect. That there is over use on the signal line. Then the Evo would be atleast 3x and probably 10x quicker then the other. But you see. Even with a 100Mbps fiber line to your pc, it is completely possible for the same file to only slower on the fiber line. There are so many variables to that question, you can only say in a perfect world it would be about 3x quicker, if not more. But youtube does have server issues. One video being watched by 100,000 people is going to slow down, because the server can not keep up. But give all results. The slowest wimax connection will be quicker then the fastest 3g connection.

Reactions: andiron
Upvote 0
Okay guys....thank you! That was pretty straight forward. I think I can go away with the impression that WiMax will be at least as fast as the best 3G connection....and probably even faster. The big surprise is that the improvement in speed might not always be evident. The reason I ask this is because I've been lurking over at the HTC Incredible forum since that thread was on it's first freaking page! And I was sure I would go with a Verizon phone. One of the big draws of the EVO for me was the promise of crazy fast speeds in Austin where I live. Now I wonder how much faster, in practical terms it would be for me than the Incredible. I lean hard towards the EVO for hardware reasons, as well as plan pricing...but wonder about the AMOLED screen....perhaps a slightly better pocketability....and ?. It seems like the EVO 4G is hot and the one to choose...but I wonder if it's all that much hotter than the Incredible. And the one place I thought the EVO was going to totally kick butt was with regard to surfing and multimedia speeds.

Okay....zzzzz....see ya tomorrow! :)

Upvote 0
Though one thing I am curious about is their new gaming aspect, wherein it'll be possible to have leaderboards, matchmaking, achievements, etc, for games.

Though even in that sense, they're copying Xbox Live.

Its a tad off topic so I won't get into it too much, but it seems like an attempt to try to match or compete with the Window Phone 7 Series coming this Fall.

Upvote 0
Its a tad off topic so I won't get into it too much, but it seems like an attempt to try to match or compete with the Window Phone 7 Series coming this Fall.

I'm actually hoping Windows Phone 7 puts up a good fight. With Android kicking WinMo 6's butt, the competition just seems less interesting, and there will be less development on either end.

Upvote 0
Hmmmm, I was actually impressed with the Iphone OS 4.0. It finally does things it should! And I'm no fanboy but I did like the way they implemented the multitasking ability. The task manager is how it should be, minimal button pushes. I don't have and android phone yet. How does one switch between open apps?

I dont own an anrdoid phone, but ive heard task killer is the best. Heres a screen shot

url

Upvote 0
Yeah, I've searched and found a lot of task killers, managers, etc. Judging by the screenshots they differ from how the Iphone OS 4.0 does it. I mean its just a double tap of the home button. Tap the app you want to switch to and boom! Done. How many taps does the task managers on Android take? Are there any that open up to a dock of icons of open apps? This is one of those things that always bugged me about WinMo. No really smooth way of rumbling through apps.

Upvote 0
Hmmmm, I was actually impressed with the Iphone OS 4.0. It finally does things it should! And I'm no fanboy but I did like the way they implemented the multitasking ability. The task manager is how it should be, minimal button pushes. I don't have and android phone yet. How does one switch between open apps?

Let me thing of other wonderful things about the iphone:

1.No alternative browsers
2.No alternative compilers - you must use the Apple compiler
3.No alternative platforms like Java, Flash
4.No file explorers, no root level control (needed for any decent encryption apps)

The list would get pretty long. The problem with the iphone is really Apple. Just more locked down garbage as far as I'm concerned.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I've searched and found a lot of task killers, managers, etc. Judging by the screenshots they differ from how the Iphone OS 4.0 does it. I mean its just a double tap of the home button. Tap the app you want to switch to and boom! Done. How many taps does the task managers on Android take? Are there any that open up to a dock of icons of open apps? This is one of those things that always bugged me about WinMo. No really smooth way of rumbling through apps.
With my Hero, I press and hold the home button and it brings up the task manager in a pop up widow with icons.

Upvote 0
Let me thing of other wonderful things about the iphone:

1.No alternative browsers
2.No alternative compilers - you must use the Apple compiler
3.No alternative platforms like Java, Flash
4.No file explorers, no root level control (needed for any decent encryption apps)

The list would get pretty long. The problem with the iphone is really Apple. Just more locked down garbage as far as I'm concerned.

This commercial is just so ironic now:

YouTube - '1984' Apple Macintosh Commercial (Full advert, Hi-Quality)

Upvote 0
Thanks Bill, Do all Android phones do that?

And to, dvdivx, did you watch the keynote? It was pretty impressive. I've never liked flash. Or java too. Adobe is just like MS and they were too stingy with their product. Everybody's gonna leave Flash in the dust later on. I mean, Winmo phones have been around for awhile now and still can't do flash decently. I wonder why? Is it MS or Adobe's fault?

Upvote 0
Thanks Bill, Do all Android phones do that?

And to, dvdivx, did you watch the keynote? It was pretty impressive. I've never liked flash. Or java too. Adobe is just like MS and they were too stingy with their product. Everybody's gonna leave Flash in the dust later on. I mean, Winmo phones have been around for awhile now and still can't do flash decently. I wonder why? Is it MS or Adobe's fault?

Every android phone that I have used does it. It's pretty neat.

Upvote 0
The new iPhone will be announced June 27. Every year they showcase the next os in the spring and release the dev kit, then will release a phone with it in late June/early July, with other devices able to get the OS upgrade shortly after.

But no I wasn't overly impressed with 4.0...seems like the new functionality was minimal, and things Android already can do like folders and multitasking

edit: today's apple announcement was only for the OS, not the next iPhone...just to make sure I'm clear.
Apple is always playing catch up. I admit the first iPhone raised the bar but after that it was down hill. I paid $500 for the first gen. iPhone because they were not subsidized and it could not do things my $45 phone could i.e. picture messages, video record, ACTUALLY MAKE A CLEAR CALL AND HOLD A SIGNAL. They are so quick to sue for this or that yet they steal or 'borrow" everyone else's ideas. This new OS is the same deal the iPhone can do now what other phones were doing since 1999. But you better run out and buy it because Steve says so! The Evo is going to dominate for so many reasons, and as updates to the firmware come along Apple will never catch up. Yes in my opinion people are brainwashed, by slick advertising and peer pressure. I worked for and used a carrier called Cricket, it is a small local cellular company but now actually the coverage has grown. My point is i was paying $45 a month for unlimited everything but all of my friends had Verizon. I was always being begged or harassed to switch to VZW. "It is so great" "everyone is on it" "It is free to call all of your other friends who have Verizon" Guess what it was free to talk as much as I wanted to whomever I wanted and the same went for text! I was paying almost nothing and they were paying $80+ a month and had a contract which I didn't. Then of course when the iphone came out I got addicted to tech....lol :) I know this was a long ramble but my point is people "drink the cool aid" so much that when something better does come along they are blinded to it. Then of course when they are proved wrong they become violent and rude, that seems to be our nature when challenged. EVO and Sprint are opening the door to the future mark my words things are going to start progressing even faster in the cellular industry now. It used to be if you got the coolest new phone out it was good for about 9 months soon it will only be out 9 weeks lol.

Upvote 0
With my Hero, I press and hold the home button and it brings up the task manager in a pop up widow with icons.
I believe what comes up when you do that is just the last six apps used not a task manager.

Nice post, kcs7272. I agree with just about every word. The iPhone succeeds because of marketing, not features.
Not true. It succeeds because it is easy to use. Most people do not want to have to worry about task mangers, flashing roms to get the best performance etc. That said I love tweaking my Hero constantly and Android is an excellent platform. It just has a long way to go to catch up to Apple as far as polish is concerned NOT features.

Upvote 0
Nice post, kcs7272. I agree with just about every word. The iPhone succeeds because of marketing, not features.

Not to get ot but its not JUST because of marketing. I have said this over and over again, its user experience. Joe Consumers don't care about rooting, have any interest in jail breaking, installing unauthorized apps. They want something thats easy and fun to use. They don't care about how much RAM or switching apps or having dual core cpu or using your phone to make coffee. Windows Mobile phones have been doing what the iphone can for years and so has Palm, but they never caught on with the general consumers, why? They're not easy to use. Unless you're a tehno geek. Remember something, just because its easy for you as a tech geek, doesn't mean its easy for Joe Consumer. I will never buy a computer, I rather make my own, but out of the millions of americans, how many actually build their own? They want one simple package that they don't have to worry about or tweak, they just want it to work and thats why Apple will always be miles ahead of the competition. Its not WHAT it can or can't do, its about the user experience! Some people on here just don't seem to get that.

Upvote 0

Marketing sells phones, not features sadly.

My biggest gripe with OS 4.0 is that (to me) an operating system upgrade should improve things on the backend, and not be artificially boosted by releasing a bunch of apps that can work on the existing architecture. The only real backend type things are multi-tasking (which looks like a pretty way to pause programs moreso than true multi-tasking), and a drag and drop folder system - which has been around since oh I don't know the last 25 years. All the other "features" are crap like ibooks (which is funny because kindle already exists for iphones) and a xbox live style rip off. Oh yea, but you can change your wallpaper! Because that hasn't been on mobile devices for the last 10 years...

/rant off

I feel much better now, but still wouldn't mind some new EVO information to simmer my blood.

Upvote 0
Also about the task killer discussion, here are my $0.02 since I've read up on it:

Task Killers are NOT necessary on the Android platform because it is based from Linux, which will automatically re-allocate RAM as needed. Essentially if you kill a background app you will NOT see a boost in performance, because the Android OS is already re-allocating that memory as it needs to. This is different from Windows, which will always give RAM to programs that need it, no matter how dormant they are. That is my interpretation of it all, but I am not running Android so can't be sure.

Now, for those who still are looking for a task killer app I suggest this (which I will certainly use).
http://androidforums.com/android-ap...task-killer-people-who-hate-task-killers.html

It is MUCH more robust than the typical task killer, and can show you in real time how much of the system resources (CPU and RAM) a particular App uses. I have it bookmarked and will grab it when my Evo finally comes to its rightful place in my pocket.

Upvote 0
Well, this is the EVO forum, so I expect most people here are not interested in hearing Apple this and Apple that. I know I'm sick of it and I can hardly go on Engadget anymore, because it's all about Apple there right now as well.

There's no doubt the iPhone is a cool phone and it's easy to use as you said, Outrigger. It currently out sells all Android phones combined by a large margin and it will probably continue to do so. By comparison, Android phones are a little more difficult to use - at least they are at first until you catch on. I like it that I can customize Android to my taste. Contrast that with the iPhone and they don't even let you change the battery. What's that all about?

Upvote 0
Not to get ot but its not JUST because of marketing. I have said this over and over again, its user experience. Joe Consumers don't care about rooting, have any interest in jail breaking, installing unauthorized apps. They want something thats easy and fun to use. They don't care about how much RAM or switching apps or having dual core cpu or using your phone to make coffee. Windows Mobile phones have been doing what the iphone can for years and so has Palm, but they never caught on with the general consumers, why? They're not easy to use. Unless you're a tehno geek. Remember something, just because its easy for you as a tech geek, doesn't mean its easy for Joe Consumer. I will never buy a computer, I rather make my own, but out of the millions of americans, how many actually build their own? They want one simple package that they don't have to worry about or tweak, they just want it to work and thats why Apple will always be miles ahead of the competition. Its not WHAT it can or can't do, its about the user experience! Some people on here just don't seem to get that.

Excellent post I couldn't have said it better myself

Upvote 0
I agree that the iPhone OS is easy to use, but so is Android, and webOS, and all the dumbphone OSes out there. The strength that Apple brings to the market is the ability to see exactly what consumers want to SEE in ADVERTISING. If simple and easy to use UI sold phones, there wouldn't be such a market inequity right now. Hell, Sense over WindowsMobile on the HD2 is pretty and and works well.

Apple has the money to design advertising and marketing that make people WANT an iPhone, even if iPhones are overpriced and don't match features with Android phones or Palm phones, etc etc.

I'm not saying the iPhone is a bad phone -- far from it -- I am saying that Apple is crushing the competition because of the wool it pulls over peoples' eyes regarding the iPhone's flaws.

Just my $.02.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones