• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must have missed that. The response on the phandroid live chat was "2012". Where did you hear Q1 2012?

right around the time RAZR was announced/unveiled, Moto said (via twitter) it would get ICS in early '12, and i believe Moto said it would be Q1. also, BMX tweeted that it would come in Feb '12.

edit: here are a couple of links discussing the issue:

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/10/1...012-other-android-2-3-devices-should-as-well/

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/10/2...evices-just-6-weeks-after-google-releases-it/

Reactions: burntorangefan
Upvote 0
right around the time RAZR was announced/unveiled, Moto said (via twitter) it would get ICS in early '12, and i believe Moto said it would be Q1. also, BMX tweeted that it would come in Feb '12.

Yes, Moto did say that, but the Q&A was with VZW, not Moto. Moto came out with early 2012, and VZW says eh, remember who gives final approval, lets leave late 2012 open too. ;)

Upvote 0
I must have missed that. The response on the phandroid live chat was "2012". Where did you hear Q1 2012?

Thought I remembered that from back when Moto first acknowledged that RAZR would have ICS...could be wrong, though. Once source is released I'll have it early either way because I'll root on day 1...Or I'll have the Nexus if it legitimately beats the RAZR in my own tests...:)

Upvote 0
I have no idea if this was actually brought up or not, but I was just thinking about the accessories arriving in stores yesterday. Does anyone remember when Bionic accessories arrived in stores? To save the searching, I'll go ahead and tell you that they showed up on August 30th and the Bionic was released on September 8th. That is about 8 days difference right there. So if the Nexus accessories showed up yesterday then maybe.........................

Upvote 0
i stopped reading for a few hours and now i can not keep up with the posts lol, so i skipped to the last page. the 15 seconds it took me to log in, there was 19 new posts (i counted).

i missed out on some stuff like harassing the CSRs. By the way just to let you guys know im a sales person also, not in cell phone business though. even though its true that we should not be harassing CSRs. you gotta also understand that they know whats going on the second someone asks about the GN, you are automatically classified as a 'stroker' (meaning you are nothing but a time waster). where we work at we use codes like '46' to let fellow co-workers know that you are working with a stroker. sometimes depending on our mood, we tend to become annoying to those people in a way that will not get us fired. in the case of the CSRs, they are annoying you when offering the bionic cause they know what you are doing.

CSR scenario: CSR1 and CSR2
CSR1: hello, how can i help you
John doe: hi, im looking to switch to verizon from att before my next billing cycle, and i want the GN. would you please be able to tell me when its coming out?
CSR1: "hey Dan (Dan = CSR2) i got another stroker here with the same old story switching to verizon from att. what you think?" CSR2 responds "these guys dont give up, offer him the bionic, it will make him go away."
CSR1: Mr. john doe i have a perfect phone for you the bionic.
John doe:....logs off.
CSR1: "hey Dan it worked lol."
so CSR1 writes an email to all CSRs in the company to offer the bionic to people asking about the GN.

p.s. please respect sales people, dont treat them like they got diseases. we are not there to take your money. we are available just to make your life and our life easier and make your shopping more efficient. even if you dont intend to buy, if you are nice to sales people, they will gladly help you.

i apologize if i offended anyone with my scenario, it was not intended to offend you guys. i was just trying to show you the inside thinking of sales people.

thank you

Upvote 0
I'd rather go for the rezound. The thing that makes a handset part of the next generation is an HD screen. qHD has been around for quite a while and still looks not much better than a 480x800 screen. The iphone 4 screen despite its size was much better than anything else out at the time. So even though the RAZR is nice, I still consider it part of the current generation of smartphones. I consider the Rezound as a half step up, and the Nexus the first truly next gen smartphone.

i believe its a transporter and a holodeck...:)

Upvote 0
Just got good news from my professor. Class cancelled on the 17th!!!! It's a sign!

sign%2Bfrom%2Bgod.jpg

Upvote 0
The thought has crossed my mind. I've also toyed with the idea of staying with AT&T and getting the new SGSII Skyrocket.

Right now I'm just waiting to see what happens with the GNex launch.
Well, I stopped at the VZW store on my way home from work, and played with the Razr demo unit they had on display.

Impressions:
-the length and width would take some getting used to, as it will if/when I get the GNex (coming from a Blackberry Bold)
-the screen was warm, but not hot, like Steven mentioned
-no evidence of finger prints after playing with it, so the glass seems very resistant to finger prints/smudging
-I had to look really, really close to see any evidence of the dreaded "pentile effect" that so many people worry about. I wouldn't consider pentile a deal breaker on this phone at all. On the other hand, on the Bionic, which was on display right next to the Razr, the pentile grid was visible from a mile away. Yuck!
-apps launch very quickly and smoothly, and transition between screens was fast and smooth
-the phone has a very solid feel to it, and is as thin as advertised. I didn't find its thin profile uncomfortable at all, and think this phone would fit very comfortably in my pocket

All that said, I certainly didn't fall in love with it. It seems like a very nice phone, but not enough to knock me off the GNex bandwagon.

On topic: I would have asked the CSRs if they heard anything about the GNex, but I think they were trying really hard NOT to be pushy...by leaving me alone/ignoring me. I didn't feel like going out of my way to get their attention to ask, because I'm pretty sure I would have gotten the deer in the headlights look had I done so.

GNex or bust!

Reactions: burntorangefan
Upvote 0
I have no idea if this was actually brought up or not, but I was just thinking about the accessories arriving in stores yesterday. Does anyone remember when Bionic accessories arrived in stores? To save the searching, I'll go ahead and tell you that they showed up on August 30th and the Bionic was released on September 8th. That is about 8 days difference right there. So if the Nexus accessories showed up yesterday then maybe.........................

Thanks for doing the research and not making us look for it!;) Sounds good to me. I think the 17th is almost a lock at this point. Verizon stores wouldn't be getting accessories 2 weeks ahead of time for a web only launch, and getting them almost a month ahead of time for a store launch just doesn't sound right. Plus the source. I think this time next week, we will either have our phones in hand or on order. I like the thought of that :)

Upvote 0

Maybe, but when did thunderbolt accessories come out? A month before, I believe.

Reactions: Travillion
Upvote 0
I was thinking the same thing until Husker ruined it by posting this:

:p

No, seriously, there are 3 main reasons I'm tempted:

1. Much as I love this forum and you guys, it's eating up a lot of my mental energy. "Get a life" or "stop posting so much" aren't viable solutions. My job consists mainly of reading and researching, which takes only a few minutes of printing out tons of paper, sorting them into appropriate areas, and putting them away. No one actually reads it and no one actually cares. (This isn't my "real" job, but 3 clerks quit at the same time in August, and there is a hiring freeze right now so it falls to us to do a lot of their work which, in reality, isn't really work.) I do have some court cases to work on, but let's face it, the government isn't the fastest hare in the race. There's lots of waiting for things to happen.

Regardless, it's really eating up a lot of my energy obsessing over this stupid phone. Checking the Phandroid site on my phone while we're watching the X Factor or walking the dogs isn't healthy. I need it to end.

2. The lack of HD screen on the RAZR really bothered me at first, but then I started thinking "Do I really watch many movies on my phone?" The answer is no. And even if I did, on a screen less than 5 inches, will it really make that much of a difference? I'm not sure.

3. I just want something new. I'm sick of my OG Droid and I want that feeling of unboxing a new little treasure. I hate Verizon for making me wait until they feel it's more convenient for them. I get that they aren't obligated to me, it's business, etc. etc. etc., but that doesn't make me hate them any less.

So here I sit, waiting. I just don't know how much more I can take of this. I really had a feeling that 11/10 would bring something.

But this day is much like the others. Except that I'm slowly building up to a snapping point.

There is one reason why you should not do this. If the theory is that VZW staggered the launches and held back information purposely to nudge people into the RAZR and the Rezound then if you waver and give in you justify that behavior. You would have proved them right and they can go to sleep at night snug and smug that they were so smart. Wouldn't that alone make you wait another two weeks if need be?

It will for me.

Upvote 0
I do think this is going to be more like a Bionic release. Not much fanfair, no pre-order, just, "Oh, By the way. We here at Verizon would like you to know the Galaxy Nexus is for sale today".

Upvote 0
I do think this is going to be more like a Bionic release. Not much fanfair, no pre-order, just, "Oh, By the way. We here at Verizon would like you to know the Galaxy Nexus is for sale today".

Exactly, almost no notice at all, but I think it has more to do with the RAZR and Rezound than Verizon doesn't care. I think they will market it once they get the other two launches out of the way. As we saw on the holiday ad calendar. Its too big already not to.

Upvote 0

I have thought this since last week. I think it's a good think ;)

And I do not think it is because of the razr and rezound.

Upvote 0
Exactly, almost no notice at all, but I think it has more to do with the RAZR and Rezound than Verizon doesn't care. I think they will market it once they get the other two launches out of the way. As we saw on the holiday ad calendar. Its too big already not to.
On the flip side, IF this phone is as big a hit as we all think it will be, then they don't have to do any advertising. We've already done thier viral marketing for them.

Verizon, please send me a check for my advertising fee.

Reactions: BabyBlues and jbdan
Upvote 0
There is one reason why you should not do this. If the theory is that VZW staggered the launches and held back information purposely to nudge people into the RAZR and the Rezound then if you waver and give in you justify that behavior. You would have proved them right and they can go to sleep at night snug and smug that they were so smart. Wouldn't that alone make you wait another two weeks if need be?

It will for me.

^ This, totally this. Don't let 'em win Han! Sounds to me like you are trying to rationalize getting the razr when we all know you want the Gnex.

One of my favorite quotes, unfortunately it's anonymous:

Hang in there. Hang in there because the greatest quarterbacks complete only six of 10 passes. The best basketball players make only 50% of their shots. The top oil companies, with all their geologists, drill 10 dry holes for every wet one. And even the most successful actors flunk 29 auditions for television commercials before they land one. So, HANG IN THERE.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if anyone caught this yet, but here is the latest from Phil at AC...

in stores or online ... - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Seems as if Verizon is still having the internal debate on how to sell the Nexus

edit: reading into the thread a little more it appears Phil thinks this isn't entirely Verizon's fault and that there seem to be upper level discussion between Verizon, Samsung, and Google.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones