• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was speaking with a friend that works for Verizon today. We will talk phones, but he doesn't ever offer up leak info and I typically don't ask (he knows I'm involved here). So we were talking and I brought up the oddity of Verizon releasing 3 major phones at the same time. He confessed that it has not made things easy in his office lately, but that everything was being managed. At this point I brought up the Nexus and the lack of information from Verizon and Google as well as all the rumors. He admitted to hearing a few rumors and brought up the talk of Verizon trying to delay the phone or push it around so they could promote the Razr and Rezound specifically. I asked him what he thought of these rumors and he said:

We kind of changed the subject to talk about our kids at that point. He really isn't a phone person and isn't all that interested in talking about work most of the time.

I thought that he brought up some interesting points though.

Thank you. I think that the most telling is that he confessed it wasn't the easiest to manage all 3 phones releasing in the same time frame. The scheduling is what got borked in my opinion, not that they don't want to sell the phone. This was probably slated as the last phone to releasenwithbmore time between the Razr and Vigor.

Oh well, my view is that we will get it and it will have been worth the wait. And who better to wait with than our fellow inmates. I mean Verizon customers and soon to be customers.

Upvote 0
Yup. See my sig for how to maximize your free Dropbox. And don't hesitate to use my Sugarsync referral.

/shamelessplug

So..., how about that Nexus... :eek:

Lol. I have Dropbox too but stopped using the sig cause I was a bit OCD about how it looked. :eek:

But by being forced to stream your data you're still paying the price...if you don't have unlimited data at least. Nice point about dropbox though...at least you can cut down on the costs that way

I don't stream anything unless I'm on wifi so I didn't even think of that.

Upvote 0
Thank you. I think that the most telling is that he confessed it wasn't the easiest to manage all 3 phones releasing in the same time frame. The scheduling is what got borked in my opinion, not that they don't want to sell the phone. This was probably slated as the last phone to releasenwithbmore time between the Razr and Vigor.

Oh well, my view is that we will get it and it will have been worth the wait. And who better to wait with than our fellow inmates. I mean Verizon customers and soon to be customers.

Yea, I asked him about the release date and he gave me his typical NDA comment that he always gives me. :rolleyes: I did get a little excited when he made the comment about all 3 phones though.

Upvote 0
Yes, performance could be a reason. Built-in cards are typically eMMC. Typically, these support hundreds to over a thousand Random Write IOPS (I/O operations per second). Typical SD cards, including Premium cards, on the other hand, have far lower Random Write IOPS numbers--in most cases, under 10.

On top of this, eMMC implementations often support higher data clock rates than external cards, which translates directly into better throughput. Typical values are 10 to 20 percent higher, in fact.

On top of all of the above, often the built-in eMMC is Class 6 or higher (measurement of speed), whereas the external SD card the carrier throws in for free is only class 2. Even if you put a class 10 card in yourself, however, in most cases it will still underperform the built-in speed.

IMHO, I'd prefer 32GB built in. I don't need the flexibility of popping cards in and out of my phone--I use the cloud for that data.

I KNEW someone on here would have an answer for that, this is exactly why I asked this. With the combined knowledge of people in these forums, yall could probably build your own phone and have it perform better than any others. The fine folks here are truly a powerful source to the Android community!!! Thanks to you all!!!

Upvote 0
your point is well taken, though I guess rezound could find one in that bin. granted they're from different manufacturers.
I'm glad that Google and Samsung recongnized that a 1.2GHz OMAP would be far superior to a 1.5GHz Snapdragon. Snapdragon clocks higher but it a dog otherwise clock-for-clock, especially on the GPU side. Never been a big fan of Snapdragon. We'll see how thier quad core turns out next year.

I'm talking about 1.5 vs 1.2, not i7 vs 1.2. I understand what you're trying to say about design strategy, and glad that you recognize that compromizes have to be made. That's fine. But let's acknowledge them as compromises instead of saying the gnex can do no wrong. They probably could have found a compromise with a 1.5 or an 8mp camera without losing to much on the other end.
I'll agree completely they are compromises. But I doubt your conclusion that they just could have swapped something else in. 1.5GHz? The OMAP 4460 is a 1.5GHz part, but for some reason, they are chosing to run it at 1.2GHz. Most likely battery life, that's the only thing that makes sense to me. But hypothetically, let's say they needed to get a 1.5GHz part in there to sell this device, and that the OMAP was incapable of doing it. Switching over to Exynos or Snapdragon would require a full redesign of the board, a re-write of all software and updates to all drivers. Not a simple switch as you indicate.

Same with 8MP camera. Honestly, they probably could have put an 8MP camera in there, but would the results have been better or worse. I think worse. I'm very happy they concentrated on user experience rather than specs. Oh no, I sound fruitty.

you're probably right. what do you think the reason was? batt life?
Hard to say, but battery life would be my guess. I've seen reports already that battery life isn't too hot on the GNex (similar to other Verizon 4G phones).

the look at some, just not indepth. i've heard plenty of average consumers touting the megapixels of their point and shoots. Or that they "bought an LED tv not an LCD." and other fallacies like that. they know enough to get themselves in trouble.
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Most consumers don't want to know too much, just enough. I told the story several thousands of posts back about a guy who was convinced his iPhone4 was 4G, because otherwise why would apple call it the iPhone FOUR.

What are you going to do here. This should be the job for marketing departments, but at the same time, marketing is responsible for telling these people they need 3D TV's they'll never use, or how more megapixels is better. So it's a double edged sword. By that same token, OTD made the point that I agree with that this isn't about Google making a lot of money. Verizon honestly doesn't care which phone you get (bloated or not), as long as they make money on the deal.

points well taken. good discussion
Likewise.

Upvote 0
Lol. I have Dropbox too but stopped using the sig cause I was a bit OCD about how it looked. :eek:

I don't stream anything unless I'm on wifi so I didn't even think of that.

Yeah, I used to be that way about my Dropbox. Eventually, lazyness set in.
I tend to watch Justin.tv streams on my DX fairly often. Even then, I've only crossed 2GB once (in over a year). Of course, I wasn't watching at 720P :eek:

Upvote 0
So I was speaking with a friend that works for Verizon today. We will talk phones, but he doesn't ever offer up leak info and I typically don't ask (he knows I'm involved here). So we were talking and I brought up the oddity of Verizon releasing 3 major phones at the same time. He confessed that it has not made things easy in his office lately, but that everything was being managed. At this point I brought up the Nexus and the lack of information from Verizon and Google as well as all the rumors. He admitted to hearing a few rumors and brought up the talk of Verizon trying to delay the phone or push it around so they could promote the Razr and Rezound specifically. I asked him what he thought of these rumors and he said:

We kind of changed the subject to talk about our kids at that point. He really isn't a phone person and isn't all that interested in talking about work most of the time.

I thought that he brought up some interesting points though.

This has pretty much been my stance on this. If Verizon didn't want to sell it they just wouldn't sell it. I'm sure it's something else that's holding the release up besides just the Razr and Rezound. I've got to imagine they have some magic number of phones that have to be in their warehouse before they pull the trigger and release. That number is based on how many they project they will sell. Maybe they are having a tough time getting enough in stock from Samsung. Maybe Verizon adjusted their projection when they saw all the interest on the internet from people like us and they are waiting for another shipment from Samsung to meet the new higher number. Maybe it was a last minute change. The point is we don't really know and may never know. I'm sure Verizon will release it when their criteria is met and I do believe we're getting close.

Who knows, we might suddenly see SGN commercial on Monday night football. We've already seen Verizon/Motorola/HTC use the Sunday games to advertise so why not.

Upvote 0
Thank you. I think that the most telling is that he confessed it wasn't the easiest to manage all 3 phones releasing in the same time frame. The scheduling is what got borked in my opinion, not that they don't want to sell the phone.

I've said that before in here. It would have been a nightmare for them to release all three phones on 11/10. I think that if 11/10, 11/14, and 11/17 hold to be true, then that was the closest they could put them all together without killing their employees.

Upvote 0
Regarding the 1.2 ghz Nexus and the 1.5 ghz Rezound... my understanding is that the Nexus is underclocked and the Rezound is overclocked. Or am I wrong?
I believe the 1.5GHz Snapdragon is spec'd that way, while the 1.2GHz OMAP is underachieving.

But in pure tests, a 1.2GHz OMAP will be faster than a 1.5GHz Snapdragon, all else equal

Upvote 0
Google's new Music app just leaked. It appears they will offer a music store with a free song of the day, and recommendations for similar artists. It will be launched this Wednesday.

Link

And that requires a whole press event in LA? I don't get it. Talk about being late to the party. And how does T-Mo fit into that... just some stupid marketing thing?

Upvote 0
He said I'd have to wait until next Friday to get that one.

Not to be a downer, but I'm never sure what "next" means.

If he said wait until Friday to get one that would mean the 18th. Is "next" Friday the 25th, Black Friday?

There's been a rumored Black Friday release date, but we've never seen an 18th date.

The poster over on Droid Forums later clarified: "He was talking about the 18th. Sound like he's not the only one. Funny no rumors about the 18th have surfaced. "

Someone else also posted "I met with,among other Verizon reps, the director of east coast operations for vw. He assured me I would be seeing the nexus on Friday"

Random people posting unverifiable info online, take it for what it's worth.

Reactions: CaptainRon
Upvote 0
I've said that before in here. It would have been a nightmare for them to release all three phones on 11/10. I think that if 11/10, 11/14, and 11/17 hold to be true, then that was the closest they could put them all together without killing their employees.

Definitely agree.
although releasing all on the same day could have been a survival of the fittest type weeding out of employees :D

Reactions: Member112085
Upvote 0
N d a.... shmen d a. .......Me no likely.

While I can't ever say that I don't want him to just come out and say things most of the time, he does have 3 wonderful kids and a wife to take care of so I don't push. He knows very well that stuff he does say to me will more than likely end up on here.

I've had to sign a few NDAs in the past, a few with Google (search engine stuff and Google Voice stuff, not Android related), and I can't say that I would have broken them either.

Upvote 0
Okay... basically my point... and that should allow the Nexus to have better batter life.
Waaaayyyy to many other factors to make a conclusion like that. CPU is only one component of the many components of the SoC. GNex has bigger display, which is the #1 culprit of battery discharge, etc.

We'll see, but my guess is the GNex should do better.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones