• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upvote 0
Never before have I seen this much debate on the three bronze colored dots on a phone. Of the few phones I have seen them on personally, they have only been charging ports, to use in a dock. I can say that with near 99% faith that this is what they're for. They are not that special to have all of this attention paid to it. Whether it's a dock or not, the three dots will allow it to wirelessly connect the device to something. On the opposite side, the button is almost certainly the power button, a la nexus s.

Upvote 0
Never before have I seen this much debate on the three bronze colored dots on a phone. Of the few phones I have seen them on personally, they have only been charging ports, to use in a dock. I can say that with near 99% faith that this is what they're for. They are not that special to have all of this attention paid to it. Whether it's a dock or not, the three dots will allow it to wirelessly connect the device to something. On the opposite side, the button is almost certainly the power button, a la nexus s.

As is your opinion. You don't have to join the debate if you don't want to eh!
It's my party and I'll debate if I want to. :)

Reactions: g_patrick15
Upvote 0
Nope they are all different LTE networks.

Ok I understand their LTE networks run on different levels but they will all have to use LTE chips in the phones for each carrier correct? I guess what I was thinking if the Nexus used the SCH-i515's thicker shell to house the LTE chips for the different carriers. Three versions of the same phone...isn't that what Apple did with the iPhone 4, they used the same body but placed different chips for AT&T and Verizon, not together but individually.

Upvote 0
I'm a little late to the party with this comment. A lot of people are concerned about the extent of the curvature of the device, fearing the screen will be curved too much.

IMHO I think the two tone paint job makes it look more curved than it really is. The black against the silver and the way it is tapered adds to this "illusion" I don't think it looks much more curved than the Nexus S.

Also, I believe that the three gold circles are almost definitely connections for a dock, either media or car.

Upvote 0
The three dots on the side of the phone are the contact charging unit, this device will not have a plug in battery charger.

This is not new technology just renewed for this phone as I understand it.

With no plug in charger that would force you to buy a mounting device for your car. I just can't see that happening. Or.... it has a battery that lasts 5 days like an old feature phone!!!!! ;)

Upvote 0
i wonder if it's going to come with NFC like Nexus S Google wallet is fun to use
The rumor is yes for NFC.

Pretty sure the contacts are for a dock and seeing as the contacts are on the same side as the power button I would assume its going to be a vertical dock like the Nexus 1
You could be right , but maybe it is a port for hardware, You never know when you my need to plug in your blue ray player or your Wii game machine.:cool:

Upvote 0
Ok I understand their LTE networks run on different levels but they will all have to use LTE chips in the phones for each carrier correct? I guess what I was thinking if the Nexus used the SCH-i515's thicker shell to house the LTE chips for the different carriers. Three versions of the same phone...isn't that what Apple did with the iPhone 4, they used the same body but placed different chips for AT&T and Verizon, not together but individually.
I see what you are saying. Yes, If your theory were correct (i515 across all carriers) I would assume they would keep the same shell to make it easier/cheaper to manufacturer. Like the SGSII and the iPhone as you pointed out...

Upvote 0
I see what you are saying. Yes, If your theory were correct (i515 across all carriers) I would assume they would keep the same shell to make it easier/cheaper to manufacturer. Like the SGSII and the iPhone as you pointed out...

Yea but this phone looks paper thin! How on earth are they going to fit an LTE chip in there? All the LTE phone on vzw are much thicker then what the Prime is shaping up to look like.

Upvote 0
Yea but this phone looks paper thin! How on earth are they going to fit an LTE chip in there? All the LTE phone on vzw are much thicker then what the Prime is shaping up to look like.

Yes CK, I'm back. ;)

Personally, I go with what some others have said in past posts. We just don't know how thick the phone actually is or isn't from the picture. There is nothing there to give it perspective. Also, an illusion is given anyway with how curved the phone is made to look. It is likely not to scale here.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones