• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been any word on the antenna regarding 3g and cell reception? I was able to try out a friend's rezound and the antenna is crap compared to my og droid. I live in a little dead zone, but my droid can get a signal if I stand in the right place and hubbie's bionic gets a strong signal without jumping through hoops.

A store rep said Samsung is known for sub par reception,but he might have just been steering me away from the sgn.

Help, I don'tknow the first thing about lookingfor antenna info. Anyone seen anything in a review?

Would love info about volume too. I constantly use my droid as a podcast and book on tape player. I was shocked that the rezound was meh for speaker volume. The assumption that it would blast the sound was a main reason I was tempted by it.

I have a Samsung Fascinate and I will say that when I lived in Atlanta the reception was pretty poor until there was an update for the phone. After that the reception improved by leaps and bounds. Now that I live in Colorado the reception is not as good. We have three Android phones in the house right now. My girlfriends OG Droid, our "home phone" Droid Eris and my Samsung Fascinate. In our house, none of them get great 3G coverage. Comparing bars the Eris and the OG Droid get one more bar than my Samsung Fascinate does. However, when looking at the signal they are all at -83 dBm and each phone gets roughly the same speed when doing a 3G speed test. This tells me that the signal is the same for all three phones and my Samsung just doesn't register bars the same way the other phones do. It also tells me that we just have horrible 3G coverage here. Thank God for Wifi. ;)

From the people I know and the phones I've messed with, the Droid Charge has really good reception and the 4G/3G appears to work really well. My parents both have the Samsung Captivate and it works really well for them just about everywhere, except my house. :rolleyes:

Overall I think you will be fine, but you still have the extended return period if you just find that the reception is really bad.

Upvote 0
Well, the tech sites are all making their rounds on the news that it comes with two Verizon apps. And of course everyone is up in arms.

I wouldn't really classify a program that lets you check minutes/messages/data usage as "bloatware". Or even an app that lets you back up contacts. Of course you can do that with Google as well, but it is useful.

The VCast stuff is bloat. Blockbuster is bloat. CityID is bloat.

Other than those two Verizon apps, which I'm positive you can at least hide or even totally remove, and the battery cover, which might be replaceable with the HSPA cover if it REALLY bothers you that much, this phone is totally unbranded. Are we really complaining about the little things now?

Yes because I can. ;)

maybe its a new thing, samsung got to put their "Galaxy" name on it ... up till now thats never happened

Yup hear you man. I guess I dont mind that as much as VZW putting their grubby mitts on my Nexus.

Like others have said, I know rooting will remove the apps, and I can always buy a new back cover. Just a bit annoyed that VZW did this though.

Upvote 0
scaled.php

P3's scratch...
This thread slowed down suddenly.

But yup, I can confirm that the testman site is down!
But the Casio phone is coming out today, like dubbin said, it's probably that.

Upvote 0
I go everywhere with my xoom so I can stay up to date. I'm eating lunch with it right now. We are a sick sick sick group of people. Lol:D

Yeah - I'll be checking from the app and I use my phone and/or ipad just about everywhere but it's still easy to fall behind. :D

Steven sticks his tongue out at England because they only have a 1750 battery. :p

(Unfortunately they are too busy playing with their phones to see that) :(

Upvote 0
Well, the tech sites are all making their rounds on the news that it comes with two Verizon apps. And of course everyone is up in arms.

I wouldn't really classify a program that lets you check minutes/messages/data usage as "bloatware". Or even an app that lets you back up contacts. Of course you can do that with Google as well, but it is useful.

The VCast stuff is bloat. Blockbuster is bloat. CityID is bloat.

Other than those two Verizon apps, which I'm positive you can at least hide or even totally remove, and the battery cover, which might be replaceable with the HSPA cover if it REALLY bothers you that much, this phone is totally unbranded. Are we really complaining about the little things now?

Agreed, I would download the My VZN app anyway and the backup of contacts will probably get deleted. Stretch to call it bloatware especially after seeing my daughter's new Bionic and all the preloads on that. I did hear though that if you delete them the phone will spontaneously ignite rendering it useless so until Mythbusters can confirm this I may just leave it on.

Upvote 0
scaled.php

P3's scratch...
This thread slowed down suddenly.

But yup, I can confirm that the testman site is down!
But the Casio phone is coming out today, like dubbin said, it's probably that.
P3: My phone is defective
Support: What is wrong with it?
P3: Screen is already scratched on this POS
Support: Did you drop the phone?
P3: No, I just drove a key into the screen numerous times until I was satisfied
Support: *Click* *Dial Tone*

Upvote 0
Just got a call back from someone at the Northern California executive staff, and it was pointless. She said any information is highly confidential. She even went as far as to say they couldn't give a date even if they had one because it is subject to change and THEN she says "you know, if it had to be recalled to the manufacturer or something". Hopefully she was just using that as an example of a worst case scenario and why they don't give out a date. :/

Upvote 0
I even thought of buying the razor or the Rezound while I was at the store. But then I realized today my refurbished droid x is working so well I don't have to worry about it.

Steven ends his rant here.

Even your Droid X wants you to buy the GNex. Kind of like when your wife says if she dies she wants you to remarry, but only to a certain type of woman. ;)

Reactions: Highwayman
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones