• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the tech sites are all making their rounds on the news that it comes with two Verizon apps. And of course everyone is up in arms.

I wouldn't really classify a program that lets you check minutes/messages/data usage as "bloatware". Or even an app that lets you back up contacts. Of course you can do that with Google as well, but it is useful.

The VCast stuff is bloat. Blockbuster is bloat. CityID is bloat.

Other than those two Verizon apps, which I'm positive you can at least hide or even totally remove, and the battery cover, which might be replaceable with the HSPA cover if it REALLY bothers you that much, this phone is totally unbranded. Are we really complaining about the little things now?

I was on the Engadget site and these guys were losing their minds... "Well I buy a Nexus because there is no branding, and no bloat and now Verizon is ruining it for everyone"

Well guess what dude, don't buy the phone, no one is forcing you. Give them people that don't plan on nitpicking a better chance..

Upvote 0
P3: My phone is defective
Support: What is wrong with it?
P3: Screen is already scratched on this POS
Support: Did you drop the phone?
P3: No, I just drove a key into the screen numerous times until I was satisfied
Support: *Click* *Dial Tone*

:p Hey, be fair, P3 actually loves the phone, and plus, the screen is supposed to be resistant to key scratches. Someone even posted a scratch test earlier which the Gnex passed with flying colors.
Now I know not to put my Gnex in my pocket with my keys. I wouldn't have been so careful unless P3 showed it was possible :)

Reactions: Travillion
Upvote 0
Arrgghhhh !!!!!! Someone at Verizon must have realized that my Droid Eris is officially two years old today and has pushed the button on the kill switch as it has apparently gone to android phone heaven. I've tried everything to no avail and it is dead.

If I went to Verizon to get a phone to hold me over until the Nexus releases next week can I just exchange it for the Nexus when it shows up? I know I would only have 14 days and then I would need to return it anyway.

I might just have to stick it out for a few days and see what happens.

Reactions: MoPhoMan
Upvote 0
Just got my TPU case in the mail. even though there is no phone in it. :(
it feels great in my hand. plus the case was only $3 on ebay. Cimo Technologies.

now i just need the Nexus!! :)

Attachments

• Nexus Case 1.jpg
    Nexus Case 1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 202
  • Nexus Case2.jpg
    Nexus Case2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 187
Upvote 0
I am about to jump out of my skin.

My local Verizon rep just called.

She said a Samsung rep is coming by and she should have a test Nexus in the store tomorrow. She said I might be able to come play with it. :eek::D:D:D:D:D
Good for you! Hope it works out. We can look forward to comparisons to your experience with the Razr and Rezound.

Reactions: OfTheDamned
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You can't even download it without a compatible phone -- BB just tried it. I'd bet that means it needs to detect an NFC chipped model. Which right now is only the Nexus S.

Guess I'm not surprised, it would be useless without the right hardware. If it isn't on the phone when I get it, I'm gonna try it see what happens.

Tx!

Upvote 0
My wife works for a Verizon retailer and she received an updated launch road map e-mail today for all phones launching through the end of the year. Road map does not give a date for Galaxy Nexus just states that it has been pushed back to early/mid December. I hope the information is wrong but they've been spot on in the past.

Would it be at all possible to get a picture of the email?

Pretty please?

Upvote 0
Just got my TPU case in the mail. even though there is no phone in it. :(
it feels great in my hand. plus the case was only $3 on ebay. Cimo Technologies.

now i just need the Nexus!! :)

i've never used a silicon case before... but will .53mm make a difference on something that's flexible like that?

Am I the only one who shakes my head when we are talking less than a mm on these measurments? Inches, ok I can see. Centimeters, maybe. But millimeters? Lol.

(I'm talking more about the differences in phone comparisons)

Upvote 0
Been watching the slew of new videos that are rolling out (don't care if most are UK version) and, dangit, I think I'm getting the 'ol itch.

There is some chance the instant it's available I'm going to drop anything and everything I'm doing and go throw wads of cash at my local VZW store.

Phases, I just want to warn you that if you throw wads of cash at the local VZW store someone might steal your money off the ground when it falls. I advise you of handing the wad of cash to the VZW employee and tell them it is to buy the Galaxy Nexus.

On a side note it could be fun to pay for the phone in one dollar bills and make it rain :D

Upvote 0
You know, we have been talking about when this thread will close, and I think we should get some solid benchmarks out there. I am gonna throw this one out there for the Mod's consideration. Say 12am ET on the night Steven gets his phone, as long as he procures it in a manner in which the rest of us are able to use as well (early phone order is acceptable if we can all do it, but getting one through The Source early is not, unless again, he can get one for the rest of us too). If we have a specific time, that would let us be able to say goodbye to the thread. And Steven has been the most valuable poster here, so its only fair to wait till he gets one.

Reactions: nexusprimepls
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones