• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm well aware of the dual model numbers. but the idea that Google would debut its new OS, and a vzw exclusive debut at that, with a lesser-spec'd device doesn't make sense to me. i may end up being wrong, but out of all the possible explanations, that seems to be fairly far down on the list...

It's not a lesser spec'ed device compared to anything thats already out there..

And then down the road, it just gets better..

Upvote 0
mvp_bench72.jpg

5 days till the big announcement!! :D:D:D:D

Upvote 0
I don't know about that but I was told by a verizon manager today that they are doing away with the new every two.

New every 2 just refers to the discount though, right? The $50 or whatever it is? I mean it's nice, but when you're talking $300 for a phone, it's not that much. I doubt she meant they would stop letting you get a subsidized phone every 2 years.

Upvote 0
Guys, I just want to say I haven't been this exited over a gadget in a long time (even when I was standing in line at the local Apple store at 5am for the iPad2). Unfortunately I haven't gotten a lot of work today, but a witness interview I was going to do today didn't show, so I lucked out on that.

Come on, October 11! Tell me what day I need to ask off!

stock-vector-guy-about-to-explode-56841607.jpg

Upvote 0
So, to pass the time I just did a little research. I think it may be inconclusive but I'll share anyway...

May 14, 2010: Google erected a Froyo statue on their lawn
May 20, 2010: Google released Froyo SDK

October 22, 2010: Gingerbread statue
December 6, 2010: Gingerbread SDK
December 16, 2010: Nexus S

February 22, 2011: Honeycomb SDK
February 28, 2011: Honeycomb statue
February 24, 2011: Motorola Xoom (previously announced and shown off at CES in January)

What does all this mean? I don't know, but I'm really hoping to see a giant Ice Cream Sandwich on Google's front lawn very soon :)

Upvote 0
New every 2 just refers to the discount though, right? The $50 or whatever it is? I mean it's nice, but when you're talking $300 for a phone, it's not that much. I doubt she meant they would stop letting you get a subsidized phone every 2 years.

I'm not sure exactly what she meant. This is how it was mentioned in our conversation. I told her that I am up for an early upgrade but my wife wasn't. She explained the reason for that then said "we are doing away with that because it isn't fare to everyone else". Well it went something like that, like I said she was hard to understand.

Upvote 0
Possible “Nexus Prime” Specs Sneak Out This Afternoon, This Isn’t the Galaxy Nexus - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

This makes me not believe the GSM Arena's article. But I also don't believe BGR's or Kellex's reports either.

Hmmm.

Edit: OR this Exynos-run phone could be what the other carriers get after Verizon's exclusivity window is closed. This would mean that the other carriers won't see the Nexus until early next year, when this processor becomes more widely available.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure exactly what she meant. This is how it was mentioned in our conversation. I told her that I am up for an early upgrade but my wife wasn't. She explained the reason for that then said "we are doing away with that because it isn't fare to everyone else". Well it went something like that, like I said she was hard to understand.

Hm, are you sure she wasn't talking about how they did away with the upgrade every year for people paying >$50? I could see how that wouldn't be fair- but letting *everyone* upgrade every 2 years seems fair to me!

Upvote 0
Hm, are you sure she wasn't talking about how they did away with the upgrade every year for people paying >$50? I could see how that wouldn't be fair- but letting *everyone* upgrade every 2 years seems fair to me!

Well I'm kinda thinking that she was saying they will do away with the main phone on the plan being able to upgrade before the other phones. In other words they will both be eligible for an upgrade at the same time if the were originally purchased at the same time.

To me it seems strange that I can upgrade 6 months before my wife can when we got them at the same time. It also seems strange that I can upgrade after only 14 months after signing a new 2 year contract. I'm not going to argue with them though, I am bored with this OG droid.

Upvote 0
I think I've officially given up on pretending to know what this phone is going to be. Even if VZ_wired is correct and there are 4 inaccuracies in the BGR report, who the heck knows what it will be. Could be thickness, battery, processor type, processor speed, RAM, onboard storage, back camera MP, front camera MP, NFC, name, who the heck knows.

The only thing I'm convinced of beyond a doubt is screen size and resolution, and ICS. Everything else is just BS at this point. Even if my sister were somehow able to send me a picture of the phone next to today's newspaper as well as every spec, I wouldn't post it.

It's all BS.

dawson.jpg

It's all BS.

Upvote 0
Well I'm kinda thinking that she was saying they will do away with the main phone on the plan being able to upgrade before the other phones. In other words they will both be eligible for an upgrade at the same time if the were originally purchased at the same time.

To me it seems strange that I can upgrade 6 months before my wife can when we got them at the same time. It also seems strange that I can upgrade after only 14 months after signing a new 2 year contract. I'm not going to argue with them though, I am bored with this OG droid.

Ok. Yeah. They already did away with that, that must be what she means. If you're getting that 14 month upgrade this is the last time you'll get it (mine too). :( Everyone waits the full 20 months or whatever now. That's the same thing I was talking about above.

The reason you could upgrade sooner is because your plan is >$50 and hers wasn't. That was the deal.

Reactions: Dubbin1
Upvote 0
Ok. Yeah. They already did away with that, that must be what she means. If you're getting that 14 month upgrade this is the last time you'll get it (mine too). :( Everyone waits the full 20 months or whatever now. That's the same thing I was talking about above.

The reason you could upgrade sooner is because your plan is >$50 and hers wasn't. That was the deal.

Ahh I get it now, Thanks!!!

LOL I don't know if I will get a discount or not.

This is what it says about my upgrade:
You are eligible to upgrade with discounted pricing. If you upgrade on or after 4/09/12 you are eligible to receive an additional loyalty discount.

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
I have read every single post in this thread, even when I get evil glares from my wife

lol...me too. Mine wanted me to tickle her back last night and I had to stop because I couldn't keep holding my Thunder"brick" with the same arm! She wasn't too pleased. I've got some making up to do once I get my VZW Nexus!

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones