• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bloatware is bloat to some, useful to others.

Maybe. Personally, I have no use for the stock calendar app; does that make it bloatware? I'm actually much more likely to use the MyVZW app (and have used it), in fact.

I think the only way the term "bloatware" has any meaning is if we reserve it for apps that Verizon puts on the phone purely as revenue sources. Verizon makes no money from MyVZW or Backup Assistant; they include them because they think they're actually valuable to customers. (I'm not saying they're right...)

I'm not disagreeing with anybody's frustration over this issue, just suggesting we not inflame things further by slinging around terms like "bloatware" for anything we don't like.

Reactions: BlueBiker
Upvote 0
Your grasping at straws. You have no definite idea what is "holding up" this phone. We have "sources" who have given tidbits here and there, but even the almighty "sources" have had their flaws. For all we know, the launch will be the 8th just as Samsung, Google, and VZW had planned the entire way.

All I'm saying is that people need to chill the [bleep] out. I want it also but it will be here soon enough. No reason to get pouty about a phone.

I agree with you. On the other hand, I'm using an OG Droid with half a functioning screen and I have to battery pull 20+ times a day. So, Ican appreciate his frustration.

Upvote 0
This thread is PROOF POSITIVE that VZW should be disallowed from controlling how devices for their network are sold and marketed! This was really part of the point of the 700mhz spectrum rules in my opinion, but has obviously been totally lost.

There seems to be ZERO reason, other than contracts VZW is allowed to FORCE Samsung and Google into, that this phone shouldn't be available at Best Buy RIGHT NOW. It might be at a full retail price only as I can't expect them to force VZW to pay subsidies and such, but it SHOULD be available now!

Reactions: nbajam and jkc120
Upvote 0
I agree, this has got to be infuriating Google. Verizon will never again get a Nexus.

I doubt Google would intentionally exclude Verizon from future Nexus phones out of spite. I'm sure Google wants the Nexus phone to be available on every carrier in the world.

I do, however, hope that they never again give Verizon an exclusive. That was clearly a mistake.

Reactions: Travillion
Upvote 0
Does anyone have hard confirmation on the terms and conditions of the holiday return policy? I've heard on here that it's only for unactivated phones, and once activated, the 14 day return policy applies.

Does anyone have something besides word of mouth to confirm that, because I can't find anything?

By my count, December 8th is 19 days from tomorrow, and if I go out and get a Rezound tomorrow to hold me over, I don't want to get hosed when I try to return it for a GNex.

Upvote 0
To add to my original thought, the BLOATWARE that is in question are non-binary apps. They are not essential for the phone to function properly. Think of it, if ANY app didn't work would you have to take your phone in or does the developer simply update the app? These are apps people. They are NOT part of the OS. I liken the freakout by some on this news to a dog that's been kicked too many times. We even hear a boot and we run. It's ok, come down from the ledge. Mondays a comin!

Phil at AC is pretty reliable, and seems to have good VZW sources. as someone posted earlier (and as i posted several weeks back) he's the same one who said back in July that a Sammy Nexus, with 4.6" screen and ICS was coming to VZW. so, if he says that VZW's bloatware is the holdup, i tend to give credence to that.

and, to your point, even if the bloat doesn't affect the OS, do you think VZW is going to release it?? i doubt it. if for nothing else than to save face, VZW will hold up the release until it gets its bloat working properly with the OS.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones