• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
so ive been workin and not having time to look on here. :( anyways has there any good news besides that the GNex might be coming out on Dec. 8th? any possibilities that it still might come out the week of the 21st or is that rumor done with?
Im also all for the letter to Verizon. Personally thats a great idea and hopefully we will get a informative letter back from Verizon possibly giving us an official time they are expecting to release it. :)

Upvote 0
No. They just changed the nexus specs page from 16/32Gb to ONLY 16.
Could be a mistake though - we aren't sure

They definitely did :thinking:

Between web specs often being wrong, that video, insider information from Samsung earlier today (nicely done), I am calling shenanigans on the whole no 32 business, including my own posts of doubt earlier.

I say it's 16/32. Nothing else is logical.

Upvote 0
Uh, they kissed in 4 AND 5 ;)

Just keep in mind that Episode I kind of establishes the tone of the saga. It is considered by most to be the worst of the 6, and the story REALLY starts in Episode II.

I cannot imagine Verizon sending back a bunch of 32GB Nexi and replacing them with 16GB Nexi. We have to wait & see, of course, but I'm banking on 32GB.

I'm REALLY banking on 32GB. I need it!

Episode 1 is only cool because of Darth Maul..

Upvote 0
so ive been workin and not having time to look on here. :( anyways has there any good news besides that the GNex might be coming out on Dec. 8th? any possibilities that it still might come out the week of the 21st or is that rumor done with?
Im also all for the letter to Verizon. Personally thats a great idea and hopefully we will get a informative letter back from Verizon possibly giving us an official time they are expecting to release it. :)

There could be a slim possibility of a pre-order sometime this week, but it doesn't look like it will be released til December

Upvote 0
Wow, I missed the Phases/Rob thing until I saw the title change. Unimpressed. I would encourage everyone to drop ALL off topic posts from here on, which will leave very few posts with this utter debacle that VZW is directly responsible for. Let the other forums take the glory for thread hits per Google stats. And yet people couldn't thank those 2 posts enough. Don't get it, not feeling it.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I've been lurking the thread for a while to get more info about the GN. I'm rocking an OG Droid, and it's been pretty brutal using it for the past year.

I'm super stoked about a nexus device on Verizon, and I really wish they would be more forthcoming on when it's coming out.

I went to a Verizon shop today and asked if they knew about a release date, and unfortunately they did not. I also asked if they got any accessories, since some people already purchased some. Unfortunately, they did not. I lastly asked if they have even been trained on the device yet, and they weren't yet trained. They were being very honest, and the sad thing is...I knew more about the device roadmap than they did.

According to them, a device typically launches about 1 week after they have been trained on it. Of course, this is rather odd, since some people have already been trained on the device. I don't understand why some VZW employees have been trained while others have not. Thus, the logistics for this launch has not even been completed yet.

Unless Google directly sells the device through either Best Buy, or directly, we are going to have to wait ~3 long, agonizing weeks before we can get our hands on it. :(

Upvote 0
[TinfoilHat]
There is another possible explanation for the 16GB downgrade that wouldn't be excluded by all of the earlier reports of 32GB test units...

It's possible that Verizon has decided to ship the first batch of 32GB phones as 16GB solely for market segmentation reasons, with the intention of selling 32GB-enabled devices later on at a higher price.

They wouldn't actually have to change any hardware to do this, they'd just have to configure the OS to only recognize the first 16GB of the onboard 32GB memory. While it may seem wasteful, it might(?) be cheaper and/or simpler than producing and validating and inventorying two separate hardware versions.

Yes this sounds obnoxious, but they'd be far from the first tech company to do this. Fully functional desktop CPUs and GPUs are routinely sold as less capable devices, and oftentimes users can find a way to reenable the disabled functionality. Short-stroked hard drives are another example where you get lower capacity in exchange for lower price (and/or potentially higher performance).
[/TinfoilHat]

Upvote 0
However long it takes to get the GN is fine with me. "Before the end of the year" was always the formally announced plan and everything else is a rumor or a leak that can't and shouldn't be banked on.

The refurb DX that just arrived (old one turned off and on randomly) will be fine until whenever, but I will NOT go with Moto again. Although they make great radios, their software sucks eggs and their disregard for known issues is embarrassing (like the advertised Exchange support was non-existent for months after release, so Moto was forced to give away free licenses for Touchdown; or their failure to fix the constant WiFi turn-offs; or months of no SD support on the Xoom). I'd prefer that Sammy and VZW release a fully-functional product compared to what Moto does. VZW's customer service is golden compared to Moto.

Upvote 0
I've been literally racking my brains for the last day trying to figure out the truth about this internal storage thing. I have no idea what to do. The Source already said the phones will be 32 gb.

Sigh. I'm on the verge of giving up on this.

Give up? I do not understand the words coming out of your mouth. Jedi masters do not give up. That is all.

Reactions: Bonez and BabyBlues
Upvote 0
Wow, I missed the Phases/Rob thing until I saw the title change. Unimpressed. I would encourage everyone to drop ALL off topic posts from here on, which will leave very few posts with this utter debacle that VZW is directly responsible for. Let the other forums take the glory for thread hits per Google stats. And yet people couldn't thank those 2 posts enough. Don't get it, not feeling it.

We already settled this. He didn't mean not to talk about "off topic" stuff. He was just saying don't post just to try and get the 40k, 50k post. Every time we come close to a "milestone" number everyone posts one word:

"me"

"no me"

"me"

That is all he is saying. It's not a big deal. Don't sweat it.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Between web specs often being wrong, that video, insider information from Samsung earlier today (nicely done), I am calling shenanigans on the whole no 32 business, including my own posts of doubt earlier.

I say it's 16/32. Nothing else is logical.

I hope you are right, but on the official info page on Google, it only list 16GB.

Galaxy Nexus

Upvote 0
Hi everyone! Took a nice three hour nap and I'm feeling much better. Having a nice big bowl of chicken soup as I read what I missed.

BTW I have a text in to my sister about storage options and I will text back if I hear anything.

BB, don't you dare watch Star Wars in episode order! Start with episodes 4 through 6, then 1 through 3. The saga is one of tragedy and memories of what the future holds. It's a rich story that is cheapened if you go 1 through 6 in episode order.

Promise!

Upvote 0
[TinfoilHat]
There is another possible explanation for the 16GB downgrade that wouldn't be excluded by all of the earlier reports of 32GB test units...

It's possible that Verizon has decided to ship the first batch of 32GB phones as 16GB solely for market segmentation reasons, with the intention of selling 32GB-enabled devices later on at a higher price.

They wouldn't actually have to change any hardware to do this, they'd just have to configure the OS to only recognize the first 16GB of the onboard 32GB memory. While it may seem wasteful, it might(?) be cheaper and/or simpler than producing and validating and inventorying two separate hardware versions.

Yes this sounds obnoxious, but they'd be far from the first tech company to do this. Fully functional desktop CPUs and GPUs are routinely sold as less capable devices, and oftentimes users can find a way to reenable the disabled functionality. Short-stroked hard drives are another example where you get lower capacity in exchange for lower price (and/or potentially higher performance).
[/TinfoilHat]

Question about this thought process....because the Nexus is unlocked and unencrypted wouldn't this be useless given the fact that any Custom ROM would circumvent this and open back up the full 32gig?

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I've been lurking the thread for a while to get more info about the GN. I'm rocking an OG Droid, and it's been pretty brutal using it for the past year.

I'm super stoked about a nexus device on Verizon, and I really wish they would be more forthcoming on when it's coming out.

I went to a Verizon shop today and asked if they knew about a release date, and unfortunately they did not. I also asked if they got any accessories, since some people already purchased some. Unfortunately, they did not. I lastly asked if they have even been trained on the device yet, and they weren't yet trained. They were being very honest, and the sad thing is...I knew more about the device roadmap than they did.

According to them, a device typically launches about 1 week after they have been trained on it. Of course, this is rather odd, since some people have already been trained on the device. I don't understand why some VZW employees have been trained while others have not. Thus, the logistics for this launch has not even been completed yet.

Unless Google directly sells the device through either Best Buy, or directly, we are going to have to wait ~3 long, agonizing weeks before we can get our hands on it. :(

Welcome to our shared agony.

Hi everyone! Took a nice three hour nap and I'm feeling much better. Having a nice big bowl of chicken soup as I read what I missed.

BTW I have a text in to my sister about storage options and I will text back if I hear anything.

BB, don't you dare watch Star Wars in episode order! Start with episodes 4 through 6, then 1 through 3. The saga is one of tragedy and memories of what the future holds. It's a rich story that is cheapened if you go 1 through 6 in episode order.

Promise!

Glad you feel better. I am going to have to research all of this guys (and any girls that are lurking) - some of you are saying in order, now Han is saying not in order. Do not confuse the girl new to geekdom. It is not nice. ;)

True story!

Lol.

Upvote 0
Am I the only one that snickers at people who want an iPhone? They're the Mike's Hard Lemonade of phones.
I was with you till you brought up the Mike's. Don't hate on it. :D
and yes, I laugh when people want an iphone because the ones I know that want it only do because 'it's the best there is' *smh*
Okay, BabyBlues, I've got it! iPhones are the North Face of phones - solid and effective, but there are much better options out there and you know everyone that got one only got them because they're "popular." Haha, that better?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones